New Forum Platform - An Update

This site will be undergoing a few changes. On Tuesday 13 Feb this site will be migrated to a new host. We are assured that no content currently on this site will be lost and that the new host format will be live on Wednesday 14 February 2024.

So, for a short period, the site will not be accessible. When it re-appears it will look very similar to how it looks now, but there will be a few different and enhanced functions for you to try out. Please be patient.

The Moderator team have been experimenting with a dummy forum (trying to break it), and it has some exciting features. You can continue posting here, in the meantime, and resume posting once the migration has taken place.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

So for (approx) 24hrs… what am I expected to do instead?

I complain at this unacceptably inconsiderate service provision - from a free website! 😉

Fingers crossed (for Techs & Mods) that the transition is smooth & swift! 🤞👍

No doubt there will be a period of turbulence until folk get used to where everything is and how can they do this and that, but we are here to hold your hands.

Note that not all promised features will be available at launch, this is intentional to allow folk to learn bit by bit rather than be avalanched with everything at once.

We expect there will be reluctance to change by some but the forum is moving forward regardless.

I wonder what the carriage return situation will be like this time?

If it doesn’t add them, will all the auto ones in previous posts disappear too? They disappear now in quoted posts.

We’ll find out next week I suppose.

Sound Good - Will Photos / images get lost like when the forum got changed last time a few years ago??? Also will long standing forum Members get there Photos approved straight away like what happened quite a few years ago??? JJ 🚂

@JJ

We are assured that nothing will be lost this time, but unfortunately that which was lost last time is gone forever, hence RDS appeal for anyone who has saved down those lost diagrams of Chrissafs to repost them in the new gallery.

Instant image posting is still under discussion. I am all for trusted members to post without moderation but other opinion is it could lead to a b i t c h i n g war as to why him and not me, is it only teacher's pet, etc. I am sure you will be able to post to your own gallery without moderation, but next week will show what initial settings the HH Admin team has set in place.

If you follow the new football rules, there is also a blue card facility to put the naughty boys in.

I fear this will be an unpopular question due to ramifications, but…

Will personal galleries be viewable by/shareable with others?

If so, allowing all/unproven users the ability to instantly upload unmoderated images, to areas that can be viewed by others, sounds potentially problematic for a family friendly website!

I have to agree, the level of negativity towards certain sections of the hobby and Hornby in particular could lead to ‘attacks’ on the forum of the most unwelcome kind. Unmoderated uploading of images should be avoided at all costs.

I would also agree that unmoderated images is something that is likely to cause problems. You wouldn't think a model train forum would be the place that would attract people willing to do such things, but strange people do strange things.

The idea of "trusted" members being able to upload without moderation does seem like a good idea, but then who is trusted, and what would be the requirements to become trusted? Post count? If a "like" system was implemented, a certain number of likes.

I would think a trusted member would be someone who had the Collectors Club. No one who is serious enough about the hobby to have a CC membership is going to post NSFW content. However, that does exclude new members who are just getting into the hobby.

I don't even mind that we have to have mods approval for uploads. It's always approved the same day, and normally without an hour or two.

In it's previous incarnation "trusted" was simply an unofficial description that was used by Moderators and Hornby Towers and applied to posters who, over time, had demonstrated via their posting history that they could be trusted to post appropriate images. It's not clear at the moment if this will come to pass in the new version. R-

@DarkRedCape

very little value in the collectors club nowadays especially for overseas members so I don’t think that should be a criteria. To be honest I’ve found image approval quick enough. It’s not like this forum moves that fast!

Welcome to the new forum platform. Have a look around and let us know if you get stuck. As previously stated some functionality is not yet active. Mostly this has been done so a not to overload anyone. Take your time and enjoy. R-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

All quite different, but will get used to it I’m sure. 

One initial observation is that all the pinned posts seem to crowd out recent posts. Not sure what the answer is there to be honest and I may well be doing things wrong. I know I can sort by posts I’ve already contributed to but that filters out new ones. 

I see that topics can be followed, so will see what that does!

edit: there also seem to be some different ways to space new paragraphs to get my head around. 

Edited by Moccasin
New platform!

Struggling to work out how to view by sub-forum as we had before?  I've seen the tick-list on the right,  does this mean I have to un-tick those I'm not bothered about reading (I might be, depends on what's been posted recently as to whether I bother diving in)
For example, if I just want to look through the TT:120 sub-forum posts, how do I do that?  Un-tick all the others? That would be a pain (and really needs an "un-tick all" option as a starting point.

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

Struggling to work out how to view by sub-forum as we had before?  I've seen the tick-list on the right,  does this mean I have to un-tick those I'm not bothered about reading (I might be, depends on what's been posted recently as to whether I bother diving in)
For example, if I just want to look through the TT:120 sub-forum posts, how do I do that?  Un-tick all the others? That would be a pain (and really needs an "un-tick all" option as a starting point.

The  Hornby tag at the top of the tick list toggles them all on or off. Any sub forums that have had new activity are shown in bold.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1