Up and running

Ratch

Gidday Sailorman, and thanks. About 5 hours ago I tried my first photo by simply copy and paste from my computer. I thought that worked because I could see the photo but Hangarman could not. Then an hour ago I tried again using the 'choose files' below. It showed the starboard side of the ship, on a slip-style display base and with a label. And then to try to fit a couple of photos in amongst text I did the two, but they appear at the bottom of the post, the two photos that you can see. I'll try another. (WL410)

This should be of HMS Welshman, and I uploaded it before typing this current line of text, although the photo appears (as I type) in the bottom left corner of the window. Let's see what happens when I hit 'submit'. Regards, Jeff.

WL410 HMS Welshman 10th May 1942 1.JPG

Well, this is all shiny and new. There’s still plastic wrapping on the seats and everything!

Sad to see the old sub-forums have disappeared and everything is munged together into a single place. That’s going to be interesting.

I assume, from all the photos being tested, there’s no longer an approval process? The mods will have to be on their toes to catch miscreants.

Let’s play with an upload… this is my Airfix Whitley that I dedid the markings for late last year.

53292454300_efe08e3860_o.jpeg

• Like 4

Gidday Heather, I think we've met elsewhere. You probably know me as ArnoldAmbrose.

Yes your photo above is visible to me. And regarding all topics mixed together I first thought as you did, all munged (is that a word?) together. But if you want to only see a particular category I think you can 'disable' the other categories and those posts will become invisible to you. For example disable all but the aircraft. Afterwards you can enable them again and they reappear. I think this new system has potential but I guess a little fine-tuning (or education) on our part is needed. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Hello there! 

Like you, I’m familiar with the general layout of Invision forums, but this one will take a little while to settle into my head. The navigation seems to vary depending on how deep you are into the brand section. I’m sure we will get used to it!

At least it’s a darned sight easier to make posts now.

• Like 1

Gidday Dominic, I can read your text but no picture in the post immediately above.

But I agree, I like the instant post-with-photo now, so I can live with the photos at the bottom of the post and not in amongst the text. I'll just do one photo per post. Regards, Jeff.

Ah, I think I understand.

If I create a new topic, I have to choose the sub-forum it’s meant for. At present, it looks like the old database has been imported wholesale into the "general discussion" section - understandably. Eventually, the other sections will reassert themselves as new topics are posted.

Have I got that right?

Gidday, I'm not sure yet about new threads, I haven't tried one. As you probably know (and have guessed from my posts above 🙂) my interest is in ships so I experimented by clicking off other topics, and as I did those relevant posts/threads disappeared, eventually leaving only the ship related topics. But others came back as I re-enabled the topics. 

It's early days, and I am definitely NOT computer/forum savvy but I think this change is a positive.       Regards, Jeff.

Sorry all, I still can't work out how to insert photos. Sailorman stated there was a paperclip underneath text. I haven't managed to find it. The only thing I have seen resembling a paperclip is the icon next to the inverted comma but pressing this refers to a URL again. 

A term we used in the Forces for instructions that anyone can understand was an "idiot sheet". 

Could anyone provide me with an "idiot sheet" so I can work out how to insert photos?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, paul71 said:

the pictures look bigger and clearer to me now

Me too. My shoddy workmanship is now much more visible, my mistakes will be much easier spotted. 🙂 This new system is similar in some ways to another site I post on, although there are differences. Overall I think I prefer this new system over the old, although I wasn't a member here for long before the change.

Regards, Jeff.

11 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

I found it straight away 🙂  As soon as you click on the reply box it expands and there's the paperclip 🙂   I used it to add this screenshot.

hornby forom photo add.jpg

When I click on reply, I see, for a nano-second, the paperclip you refer to, but then it goes off and won't come back. Is this what should be happening or is there some way of maintaining the paperclip?