HM7000 Double Head Setup

I've never done this before and I'm new in DCC. What should I do if I want to set up a double head configuration, for example, a leading steam loco with a supporting diesel at the other end? Much appreciated!

In an ideal world on traditional DCC you would consist the two DCC locos together under a single address, but as I understand it HM7000 does not yet support consisting.
Also, when consisting two different models of loco it's important that they are well "speed matched" so that one doesn't try and pull or push the other. with traditional DCC that's done by programming and adjusting the speed tables in the decoders, but I don't know if/how you do that with the HM7000 decoders? 

Edited by ntpntpntp

You can set up consisting on the decoders in DCC mode. CV19 is the consist address.

Consisting from the app is not possible yet but is being included at the next app update.

Your choice is run them as a consist under DCC control now or wait for the app update which will make the job easier.

Thank you! I started from DC and jumped straight to HM7000, I'm starting to think I should also get a Hornby DCC select controller with the HM7000 Bluetooth dongle for better compatibility.

1 hour ago, Cedric HK said:

Thank you! I started from DC and jumped straight to HM7000, I'm starting to think I should also get a Hornby DCC select controller with the HM7000 Bluetooth dongle for better compatibility.

That would allow you to operate regular decoders via the app or direct from the Select adding versatility.

There are quite a few available second hand on eBay at varying prices. Worth factoring in an additional £15 to pay Hornby to upgrade the firmware. It’s easy and painless to do that. 

2 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Not having investigated the dongle - is that capable of driving the legacy decoder(s) via the consist address? 

You would have to list the lash-up in the app engine shed under the consist address then providing it had been set up in the Select there should be no reason why not.

• Thanks 1

What do you mean? So I get a pre-owned controller and send it to Hornby?

4 hours ago, Moccasin said:

There are quite a few available second hand on eBay at varying prices. Worth factoring in an additional £15 to pay Hornby to upgrade the firmware. It’s easy and painless to do that. 

19 minutes ago, Cedric HK said:

What do you mean? So I get a pre-owned controller and send it to Hornby?

If it needs it. You check the firmware state at power up and decide then. Early versions were restricted on the number of functions they could operate. The latest version can write to CVs and has improved self protection. A pre-owned one maybe at the latest version, but if not it can be used as leverage on negotiating a price.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

If it needs it. You check the firmware state at power up and decide then. Early versions were restricted on the number of functions they could operate. The latest version can write to CVs and has improved self protection. A pre-owned one maybe at the latest version, but if not it can be used as leverage on negotiating a price.

Great tip here, I need the CV writing capability for sure, I would investigate!

1 hour ago, Cedric HK said:

Great tip here, I need the CV writing capability for sure, I would investigate!

Check first number seen at power up, which will be followed by 30 then 03.

You need to see 16 or 20 to be at the latest revision. Anything less then it goes back to Hornby for a £15 update.

3 hours ago, Cedric HK said:

Is there any other DCC Controller other than Hornby's own that support the HM7000 dongle? I have no DCC controller now and would love to know if other options are available.

Z21 is popular and versatile and proven to work with the dongle but expensive.

As I understand it, even Xpressnet-enabled controllers cannot be guaranteed to work as the Xpressnet protocol is not universal. i.e. implementations may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is not a standard in the same way as NMRA is.

Edited by Brew Man

@Cedric HKIf you don’t have a DCC Controller now, then do you have any conventional DCC fitted locos you want to control?

If the answer is no, you could just stick with HM7000 using an approved DC PSU and never need a DCC controller or the dongle?  That will save you a lot of expense. 

If you do have conventional DCC decoders to control, then probably the cheapest solution is a second hand Select, with firmware upgrade to v1.6, plus the dongle, as covered above. 

Edited by Fishmanoz

It's really for future-proofing. I don't have any loco with traditional DCC, but I did get the dongle in my previous purchase just in case. There might be loco and trains which HM7000 doesn't have sound provided, for instance, my Piko ICE 3 and Rivarossi Big Boy, but right now there're still unchipped.