TT:120 Mallard Full Set Of Wheels Wanted

Does anyone know, where i can get a full set of TT:120 Mallard wheels, including the Tender wheels?

I'm waiting for Hornby spares to come back to me, but the guy i spoke to, recon's they didn't have any.

Done a man look online and nothing.. 

Thanks

Edited by Dodge1965

• Dodge1965 changed the title to TT:120 Mallard Full Set Of Wheels Wanted
11 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:

Try Peter's Spares, but you'll cough at the price. £40 for a set of black A1 tender wheels alone.

I looked at the website, but nothing listed.  Ouch... Cheaper to buy another loco 😎

1 hour ago, Dodge1965 said:

I was also wondering if the Corgi Rail Legends Mallard wheels would fit a Hornby TT:120 loco? anyone know..

The Corgi models have a plastic ‘combined representation’ of chassis & wheels - so no use to you.

They are only useful as static models or the die-cast bodies can be modified to fit moving chassis.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

The Corgi models have a plastic ‘combined representation’ of chassis & wheels - so no use to you.

I did think so, but wanted to check... Thanks very much..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skelton Junction said:

My mallard has a large chunk missing from one of its driving wheels. Goodness knows how that happened. Now makes a speed dependent thudding noise on straight track. Once the HST, 50s and 66s arrive she’ll be reduced to heritage work. 

You could go true to life and make it a permanent museum piece 🤣 

Funny you should say that Matt. I’ve several of the Corgi models in storage intended for some kind of museum section but operational space is deemed to be more important, currently. Also, the corgi variants don’t sit on real track too well. 

I’m also planning to a build a “museum” too. I’m thinking a wealthy benefactor donated to preserve a roundhouse as a museum. It’s a place where I can store the locomotives that are out of my era, while keeping them on track. It opens up the possibility of cool world building. I have to be creative to get a little steam on the layout! 

Admittedly, this is a longterm goal. We’ll see if it comes to pass. 

Driving wheels, bogies, trailing wheels, tender wheels, tender frames, tender keeper plates, loco keeper plates, loco gears, motor holding plate, loco pick up plungers, loco/tender connectors, valve gear assembly are all available from Peters spares. I have had a few driving wheels and bogies from them, in fact this week just bought 3 sets of driving wheels.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

Driving wheels, bogies, trailing wheels, tender wheels, tender frames, tender keeper plates, loco keeper plates, loco gears, motor holding plate, loco pick up plungers, loco/tender connectors, valve gear assembly are all available from Peters spares. I have had a few driving wheels and bogies from them, in fact this week just bought 3 sets of driving wheels.

Garry, Thanks but Peters Spares has no A4 TT:120 spares at all. seems they are not available yet. Seems odd, but there you go.. So will keep looking, was worth a try.. Thanks

Edited by Dodge1965

Just now, LTSR_NSE said:

Don’t the A1/A3/A4 all share the same chassis & components?

Peters Spares only have black wheels, so they would want painting red for Mallard - but they should be the correct size.

I'm sure someone would know the answer. I was trying to save the paintwork if possible. I tried to buy a broken Mallard from Hornby, but they won't sell them. So it does look like a paint job on the wheels i have.

The A1/3/4 are the same parts, it is just colour that is different and Peters spares have one set of wheels, one set of valve gear and 9 bogies in at this moment in time.

The problem is really they have not differentiated to the A4. 

I will say I have no idea about the rear set of driving wheels as the A4 has the lubricator drive attached but the wheel sets I get do have 3 different ones, the front set with shallow depth crankpins to fit behind the valve gear, centre ones with longer crankpins and gear wheel, and rear set with longer crankpins than the front which could be for "play" and or lubricator drive.

I only use black to replace green on the A1 and painted some red, green and silver for the Corgi models.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

The A1/3/4 are the same parts, it is just colour that is different and Peters spares have one set of wheels, one set of valve gear and 9 bogies in at this moment in time.

The problem is really they have not differentiated to the A4. 

I will say I have no idea about the rear set of driving wheels as the A4 has the lubricator drive attached but the wheel sets I get do have 3 different ones, the front set with shallow depth crankpins to fit behind the valve gear, centre ones with longer crankpins and gear wheel, and rear set with longer crankpins than the front which could be for "play" and or lubricator drive.

I only use black to replace green on the A1 and painted some red, green and silver for the Corgi models.

Thanks for trying to help.

I think at the moment, the only option is, if i don't want to paint the wheels, is look for a cheap Mallard to use for spares.

On 06/03/2024 at 15:59, Dodge1965 said:

Does anyone know, where i can get a full set of TT:120 Mallard wheels, including the Tender wheels?

I'm waiting for Hornby spares to come back to me, but the guy i spoke to, recon's they didn't have any.

Done a man look online and nothing.. 

Thanks

Dodge - if you are willing to wait the outcome of my Mallard repair, etc, I might be breaking that up to help? Can you wait for up to a month for a Hornby decision on mine? If it come back repaired, I might be able to help, etc?

1 minute ago, Taff TT said:

Dodge - if you are willing to wait the outcome of my Mallard repair, etc, I might be breaking that up to help? Can you wait for up to a month for a Hornby decision on mine? If it come back repaired, I might be able to help, etc?

Taff,

Yes i can wait.. Hope you get yours sorted.. Why taking so long?

20 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

Taff,

Yes i can wait.. Hope you get yours sorted.. Why taking so long?

Dont know. Sent it off after trying a few derailing fixes but still doing it so sent it to Hornby. If it comes back repaired I might break it up so will let you know. They quoted 28 days but it might be quicker.

Edited by Taff TT
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Taff TT said:

Dont know. Sent it off after trying a few derailing fixes but still doing it so sent it to Hornby. If it comes back repaired I might break it up so will let you know. They quoted 28 days but it might be quicker.

Hope u get it sorted for your sake...