Sound profiles - loading times

Since the last update (which also coincided with me changing my tablet 🥴)I have found a change in performance when it comes to loading new sound profiles.

I'm interested to find out if others are having similar experiences.

My interest is focussed on the time taken to load the SPIROM to the decoder so I would be grateful if forum members could provide the following details from their own experience.

Average time to download (SPIROM only) as shown on the app.

Number of locos held in the Engine Shed

Make and model of phone/tablet

Thanks very much for your help.

Steve, I’ve not noticed any particular change to profile (SPIROM) load times.
I’ve not really made a study of exact download times, but would say on average 12-15 mins across the range of profiles (Steam & Diesel). 
I have 30 Locos in my Engine Shed all with HM7000 decoders (no TTS).

I’m running a new 6th Generation iPad Pro with IOS 17.3.1

Hope this helps your study, and I will note down exact download time going forwards.

• Thanks 1

Note that when loading a profile initially the Spirom will post a loading time which generally drops quickly within the first few seconds to a stable time, which is what is being requested, although you can quote both.

I have had much the same experience as Dragon using the same kit but at iOS v17.4. Initial estimate can be 28-30 minutes dropping quickly to around 15 minutes.

Edit - 27 devices in play, a mix of dongle, TXS, TTS and HM6K.

1 hour ago, Brew Man said:

I think the only sure way of timing the download is by using a real clock. Those progress bars - time remaining are anything but reliable.

For the purpose of this exercise absolute accuracy is not essential. As Rob says after a minute or so, the counter settles and would usually indicate between 15 and 25 mins depending on the profile - that is the time indication I am looking for. For the record, mine settles on a much greater time and I can't figure out why.

5 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

For the purpose of this exercise absolute accuracy is not essential. As Rob says after a minute or so, the counter settles and would usually indicate between 15 and 25 mins depending on the profile - that is the time indication I am looking for. For the record, mine settles on a much greater time and I can't figure out why.

I tried to find the bluetooth version for comparison but iPad doesn't list it. The bluetooth transfer capability is key to loading the downloaded file.

25 minutes ago, Pendragon Sailing said:

Its possible that your Broadband band-width be a factor too.[

Broadband is only used to fetch the file from the Hornby server to the app. The app uses bluetooth to send the sound install to the decoder, and this is the problem area.

9 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Broadband is only used to fetch the file from the Hornby server to the app. The app uses bluetooth to send the sound install to the decoder, and this is the problem area.

It's WiFi that fetches the file from Hornby Towers Rob.😏

As you say, my inquiry is just the final bit, transferring the files to the decoder via Bluetooth.

34 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

It's WiFi that fetches the file from Hornby Towers Rob.😏

As you say, my inquiry is just the final bit, transferring the files to the decoder via Bluetooth.

Your broadband router fetches the Hornby server file via copper or fibre cables and passes it to your tablet by WiFi, unless you are doing it on sim data.

Using an iPad Air 4 with the most up to date IOS it will generally give me an estimated time of 25 minutes but this rapidly changes and the actual time taken is between 11 and 15 minutes. When loading from the phone (iPhone SE2) the estimated time is 25 minutes but the actual time is 13-18 minutes. 

On the phone there are 3 locos in the engine shed on the iPad there are about 20, with a mix of tsx, tts and non Hornby sound decoders, non Hornby silent DDC decoders. 

• Thanks 1

On my phone it takes about 25 minutes, it has been pretty consistent over all the downloads I have made. I did say early on that I thought it was excessive, compared with the systems I worked on, but it is what it is. A lot is determined by the piece of reprogramming software you put on the module when you made it (called the bootloader). Unfortunately this piece of software cannot usually be changed so you are stuck with it, so I doubt you can speed it up much.

My experience aligns closely with Rallymatt's when it comes to the duration of sound transfers, which usually takes me between 11 to 12 minutes. Currently, I'm utilizing the latest iPad Pro with an M2 chip and an iPhone 14 Pro Max. Interestingly, I've observed no notable difference in transfer speeds between these modern devices and the significantly older iPad Pro model from 2017 that I used initially.

However, I've identified that the most time-consuming aspect isn't the sound transfer itself but waiting for the app to recognize the HM7000 chip after registering and updating the Bluetooth firmware. With 64 locomotives registered on just the iPad, it can take upwards of 12 minutes to locate the IP address of a specific HM7000 decoder, even after deactivating all other locos and their IP addresses. To expedite the process, I've started deregistering some locos and transferring them to other devices, as the app significantly speeds up when searching among only 10 or 20 registered IP addresses. Hornby has been informed about this issue and recommends a maximum of only 20 locos per device now, hence why I am looking to put some registered HM7000 fitted locos on other devices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Last Ninja said:

My experience aligns closely with Rallymatt's when it comes to the duration of sound transfers, which usually takes me between 11 to 12 minutes. Currently, I'm utilizing the latest iPad Pro with an M2 chip and an iPhone 14 Pro Max. Interestingly, I've observed no notable difference in transfer speeds between these modern devices and the significantly older iPad Pro model from 2017 that I used initially.

However, I've identified that the most time-consuming aspect isn't the sound transfer itself but waiting for the app to recognize the HM7000 chip after registering and updating the Bluetooth firmware. With 64 locomotives registered on just the iPad, it can take upwards of 12 minutes to locate the IP address of a specific HM7000 decoder, even after deactivating all other locos and their IP addresses. To expedite the process, I've started deregistering some locos and transferring them to other devices, as the app significantly speeds up when searching among only 10 or 20 registered IP addresses. Hornby has been informed about this issue and recommends a maximum of only 20 locos per device now, hence why I am looking to put some registered HM7000 fitted locos on other devices.

I guess that’s just the ‘burden’ of having too many locos in your collection, Ninja !  🤷🏼‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Pendragon Sailing said:

I guess that’s just the ‘burden’ of having too many locos in your collection, Ninja !  🤷🏼‍♂️

I guess so 🤣

BTW I have started posting my images for use in the HM DCC app of locos in the gallery. I am about to upload King GeorgeVI and Queen Elizabeth Streamlined Princess Coronation Class locos if that is of interest.