First SS loco to be released soon?

1 hour ago, What About The Bee said:

At 5mL a pop, that's 1000 sessions!  

Does anyone know the expected duration (in time) for a 5mL fill?  

Bee

I do believe I read on this forum that a 5ml fill should last 30 minutes or so. 

I tested my P2 yesterday and the results are good, but a tad disappointing. Filling it up for the first time took more than 5ml, which was already indicated would be the case. Initially my P2 didn’t smoke at all. I ran it for maybe 20 minutes before it produced any smoke at all. It doesn’t seem to smoke much at idle at all. 

As these smoke generators are apparently not the kind that some of us are familiar with, I don’t know if they need a running in period.

Since it certainly isn’t a smoke generator, (isn’t actually a steam generator either) more a small, very localised, fine mist generator - possibly there is an unfortunate incorrect expectation regarding what the effects should look like.

Perhaps you could post a video, so others can either confirm yours is working as intended, or not.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

Hi @LTSR_NSE

I noticed that same thing that @DarkRedCapementions in the video linked on the first page of this thread.

In the beginning of the video, the smoke (ultrasonic mist) looks very weak.  It almost was nonexistent.  My personal view of the first part of the video was that the steam effect smoke (ultrasonic mist) was not worth the money, not impressive. 

But in continuing on, the smoke got stronger and stronger as the video went on.  In my view it was awesome and well worth it.  

Maybe there is a break in period or some sort of saturation that the device needs to obtain.  Perhaps the maker of the video tweaked the CVs.  It wasn't explained why it was much stronger.  

Take a look at that video (first page, this thread) DRC, and see if that aligns with your experience

Bee

First use from dry needs a while for the 'wick' to thoroughly soak. Hence the extra fill quantity, then obviously from folks' experience a time to saturate.

Once freely steaming then if required CVs 211 and 212 can be adjusted to alter chuff and puff (idle) steam volumes. Alter these 5-10 points away from default settings (do a read first) to gauge effect.

From having run the loco several times yesterday. I’ve noticed a few outside factors that determine how well the mist unit is viewed.

First of all is lighting. Very bright white LED lights, like I have in my loft, seem to wash out the visibility of the mist. My lights have a three stage light setting, which is basically very bright, bright, and warm. When I switched to warm, the mist became more visible. 

Another element seemed to be height of the tracks, or layout. Currently my track is on the floor and when I was standing above it, the steam wasn’t that visible. Then when I sat down next to the track I could see the steam much better.

And lastly, what the track has for background. As stated, my track is currently on the floor, so there is virtually no background to speak of around the track, but by coincidence I put a box next to the track and noticed when the loco went past, it was much more visible than when the loco was on open track.

I’ve included a short video just to highlight some these points. And after having seen how the loco performs when factoring in these points, I’m happy with how it performs. It doesn’t seem to be much different from the loco in the video, and all my CVS are default, so I can still increase it if I ever feel the need.

Btw, the embedding feature on the new forum is brilliant.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m pleased. It does seem like these mist units do need a slight running in process. 

So far this loco has been very good out of the box, it’s a smooth runner and the mist units performance is good.

The front bogie has done a sideways derail a couple of times, but I’ve no doubt this is just because it’s on a rug. 

I do plan on adding a power bank, which is on the way. I’m very much looking forward to get the Flying Scotsman SS loco and seeing the lamp codes.

I have to admit I was a bit wary of these SS locos and if they’d be any good, but the P2 has definitely exceeded my expectations.

• Like 1

As I said else where, If it had been a GWR or Southern loco I'd have been right on it. As a matter of interest where did you get your PB? I've got a few but there a people who are looking for them as they are apparently in short supply.

44 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

As I said else where, If it had been a GWR or Southern loco I'd have been right on it. As a matter of interest where did you get your PB? I've got a few but there a people who are looking for them as they are apparently in short supply.

I get my power banks from EBay. Jadlam sell them, or used to, for around £15, which is no different than Hornby. Except there is usually free postage and they usually arrive in a couple of days.

21 minutes ago, Sly401 said:

Does the ambient temp have an effect on Steam (vapour) visibility ?

Thoughts of  enclosed layouts chilled down by an Ac Unit   🙂

Sly

It was a tad chilly in my loft yesterday and the mist from my P2 was consistent from cold to warm when I turned the radiator on. It was 16°c when I went up there and it was 22°c when I came down, and the mist produced was seemingly no different. With more run time during different times of the year, I expect we’ll see if there is any fluctuation in performance caused by ambient temperature.

2 minutes ago, DarkRedCape said:

t was a tad chilly in my loft yesterday and the mist from my P2 was consistent from cold to warm when I turned the radiator on. It was 16°c when I went up there and it was 22°c when I came down, and the mist produced was seemingly no different. With more run time during different times of the year, I expect we’ll see if there is any fluctuation in performance caused by ambient temperature.

Be interesting to know if the density increases as you get quite a bit lower temps getting  nearer to zero C 
My own feeling is that it should  as with  your breath on a cold  frosty  day - but we will see 
Thanks  for the reply

Sly

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my P2 up and running. I managed to source it locally in Australia for the same price as Hornby original price and NO postage charges. So Win for me and Loss for Hornby sales, although they still got the sale in the beginning, but at a lower price. They would not bend the rules on the postage and could not sort out the failure to allow me to change the credit card details. 

Works perfectly, at slow pace the chuffs match the puffs, but once it gets some speed up, one doesn't notice it. Took about 15 minutes for the steam to appear, but now happy chappy.

• Like 3