Running problems Duke of Gloucester

Hi ałl

I bought a used Duke of Gloucester' Class 8 Late British Rail Skala 00 Hornby Hobbies from a seller who assured me it runs well. However, when I try to run it on my track, it's completely dead. But on my test track I can read and set all the CVs. Any ideas how I can test the motor etc?

Alan

This is where a decoder tester comes into its own. ESU do one for around £40 and they are indispensable once you have one. LaisDCC do one slightly cheaper but not significantly so. It is said that the latter is a rip off of the former, so by getting the ESU you'd be sure of having the genuine article.

If you can read the CVs ok that implies the decoder is alive and the output FETs are not blown.  Simple question but have you read the existing address (& check if it is long or short address)?  Have you tried resetting the decoder (should return to short address 3)?
To test the mechanicals I agree with replacing the decoder with a DC blanking plate and run on DC.

33 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

If you can read the CVs ok that implies the decoder is alive and the output FETs are not blown.  Simple question but have you read the existing address (& check if it is long or short address)?  Have you tried resetting the decoder (should return to short address 3)?
To test the mechanicals I agree with replacing the decoder with a DC blanking plate and run on DC.

I will check with the previous owner but I did set the short address to 3 but no joy.

1 hour ago, Alanburford9101 said:

I will check with the previous owner but I did set the short address to 3 but no joy.

... and you can read it back as address 3?  You also checked the CV29 bit #5 is set to short address mode too? 

What DCC system do you have?  Can it drive locos using 4 digit long addresses?    What are the current values of CV17, CV18 and CV29? If you can read these then use the online tools below to check the current decoder settings.

This page has a tool which can encode or decode CV 29  Enter the value you have for CV 29 and use the "back calc" button to see which flags are set.
The same page also has a tool can also encode or decode CV 17 & 18.

DCC CV29 Calculator (2mm.org.uk)

Before you do any of this check the 4 pin connector between loco and tender, sometimes they are not fully home. That loco has tender pickups and the decoder is in the tender so it could be that the motor is just not connected. Generally if you can read the decoder parameters then it sounds like it is working properly.

12 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Before you do any of this check the 4 pin connector between loco and tender, sometimes they are not fully home. That loco has tender pickups and the decoder is in the tender so it could be that the motor is just not connected. Generally if you can read the decoder parameters then it sounds like it is working properly.

TXS decoders need a load to generate an ACK unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

TXS decoders need a load to generate an ACK unfortunately.

I did think that, but it is worth checking that connector just in case it is not that good a connection. If you can read a CV it means the decoder is working, generally if the motor drive dies so does the decoder. Perhaps it is just a mix up on the loco id. The Duke of Gloucester has a cheap 3 pole motor as fitted in a lot of the Railroad models, I upgraded mine to a 5 pole one. Unless of course the motor is stuck, on one of my 5 pole ones the magnetic poles clip fell out and jammed the motor.

• 96RAF changed the title to Running problems Duke of Gloucester