Unpowered (Dummy) Diesel options

Rallymatt

Unpowered Diesels  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy unpowered (dummy) diesels to enable easy double heading

• Yes
    • No
    • Something else?

I have been watching some old YouTube railway clips covering some of the diesels that will be arriving in TT:120 and it struck me how many and how often double heading was used on both freight and passenger services. In a similar vein to the 125 would it be a good idea for Hornby to offer unpowered (DCC ready) versions of the upcoming 50/37 and future models to enable easy and less expensive double heading? 

When travelling around by train over the weekend I saw a few even now. Mostly 66s which quite often get moved around as a positioning consist of 4 or so locomotives coupled up as light engine moves. Would also be good for populating depots. 

• Like 1

The problem is there is very little savings to be made in producing an unpowered loco. It would need directional lights and producing alternative PCBs would be pointless. This used to be fairly common in the US modelling scene but a quick glance in the Athearn website and they don't appear to be doing unpowered models any more. I have bought both unpowered and unpainted models from Athearn in the past but that also seems to have gone.

If using DCC, then multi loco control shouldn't be an issue. If using DC, than wait until something breaks, remove the motor and tow it along!

• Like 1

I know it’s not a direct comparison but the TT120 HSTs with a dummy power car are only £60 more than a single diesel locomotive like the Class 50. Even at the class 66/08 extreme of £140, the difference is £80. 

• Like 2

I think this subject has been discussed many times, especially for '00',   The response from manufactures was that omitting the motor had very little impact on the final cost of the model.  A case in point being the Heljan 00 scale class 25, the 'ETHEL'  version without motor is the same RRP as the motorized version.

I do agree however, if priced right then I would buy locos without motors for double heading or for additional locos for standing in a depot.

• Like 2

My preference would be for 2 or more powered locos chipped with DCC decoders. I could consist them if I wanted to run them together but have the option of separating them and having individual running trains. This would give me the best of both worlds

All views and ideas welcome and there are no right or wrong answers just people’s view. As the scale is developing I wondered if it had more flexibility. I guess the cost would be the deciding factor. 

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

@ellocoloco Good to get info from other situations. 
@Moccasin my thinking too, it’s not a lot for the dummy HST and it would increase volumes on parts of the toolings. 
It was a crazy idea inspired by seeing a 70’s blue diesel video and so many locos were paired up. 

would it work for a double header? would it need working lights? 

This is a great question- I've actually been thinking of this too! There are certain locomotives that this would really be helpful with. The Class 20 and Class 37 come to mind. Though, I do understand the objections based on actual savings. If it's only going to save 20 pounds, why not just buy an additional locomotive? There would need to be enough savings to differentiate the product from the motorized version. Whether or not that is actually feasible is another question...

A similar option would actually be to offer twin packs of certain locomotives, like I've seen other manufacturers do. Suppose Hornby pairs the new Class 50 Leviathan with another Class 50 like the Agincourt. All they need to do is change the running number and name plate. You could make the Class 50 featured in the twin pack exclusive to the twin pack. That way, in order to get the special locomotive, you would also have to purchase the Leviathan. Hornby could sweeten the deal by knocking 44 GBP off the selling price, and price them at 400 GBP for DCC. Make it a limited run of 50 or so, and sell it exclusively on the Hornby website. 

Would there be interest in that? 

a very good idea two cl 66 would look great on my layout .

if  you take  the  motor out of one you have got a dummy  loco .

and keep   the  motor safe as a spare one for future use 😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

Even with HSTs, personally I would rather pay extra and have all of my locos powered. ie Two power cars and NO dummy car.

The problem I can see with that, is unless you can guarantee both motors are completely synced, ie both running perfectly the same as each other, you will encounter problems where the intermediate coaches keep derailing.  Not so much of an issue where two locos are double heading but a potential problem for HST's and top and tailing.   

One solution which may help is if possible to add some extra weigh to the coaches.

@Postman On The Rails  great minds think a ljke  and all that ,

have  good day or night when you read this . how is you layout going im adding trees i got from msl ,in germany

i   got  some cheap  noch threes and doll them up they don't look so bad with 1mm static grass glued to them ,

i have had them for an age i got a few  more to do .so good luck with  your layout🙂

1 hour ago, happy tt said:

@Postman On The Rails  great minds think a ljke  and all that ,

have  good day or night when you read this . how is you layout going im adding trees i got from msl ,in germany

i   got  some cheap  noch threes and doll them up they don't look so bad with 1mm static grass glued to them ,

i have had them for an age i got a few  more to do .so good luck with  your layout🙂

Getting there slowly still sorting tracks and electrics as well as the elevated section leave the rest to the Art Department 😜 

Re the Dummy Diesel question, I'm sure some of the 3D printing companies do 3D printed 'body shells (and maybe bogie frames) ' to which you could add your own wheels and NEM pockets. Maybe a way to double head? Not sure what they would cost or how much 'fettling' would be required. 

hi come to think of it i have got  some points a class 66 less than fifty that could be good .

thats one way to get a cheap donation loco, save points up order more trains😃

a project to work on when they get here in the winter or a bit sooner😃

i meant to say trees not three it was late in last reply

Edited by happy tt
tree not three