TT at Model World Birmingham Live

Tim Allen

Thanks Tim great thread, wonderful photos. I pre-ordered the GBRF 66, it looks too good! 

Glad to hear about the Blue 08 too.

If anyone can ask about the Gresley Coaches? My Mallard is begging for a rake! (Instead of pulling a MK3 restaurant and 50' full break 🤣)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StuLarge said:

Thanks Tim great thread, wonderful photos. I pre-ordered the GBRF 66, it looks too good! 

Glad to hear about the Blue 08 too.

If anyone can ask about the Gresley Coaches? My Mallard is begging for a rake! (Instead of pulling a MK3 restaurant and 50' full break 🤣)

I'm trying to resist the impulse to purchase one. Why? Because if I buy the Class 66, then I'll need some rolling stock for it to pull. And the Arnold/Hornby Sffgmss wagons look like the perfect thing to buy. How many do I need? I'd probably need 6. And if I buy one Class 66, then I probably need another so...

😅😉🤣 

14 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

I'm trying to resist the impulse to purchase one. Why? Because if I buy the Class 66, then I'll need some rolling stock for it to pull. And the Arnold/Hornby Sffgmss wagons look like the perfect thing to buy. How many do I need? I'd probably need 6. And if I buy one Class 66, then I probably need another so...

😅😉🤣 

2 of each for a nice long freight rake 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StuLarge said:

Now I'm not saying that didn't happen 😬

I've got the TTA Tankers already and HAA Hoppers & IFA Container on order. That should make a decent freight rake or two or three...

• Like 2

Thanks for posting those - a great set of photos. It was a clever idea to photograph the cards with the release dates on them. And I liked the video clips best of all - a real taste of what's to come.

Edited by Porfuera

I attended the show today, those Class 66’s looked fantastic in the flesh.  The J50 sample was beautiful too.  Seeing that full size Class 37 in BR green really underlines how good they look.  Really hoping for a green one in the initial batch.

• Like 1

It is looking a lot more positive for TT:120 as far as I can tell. We have not heard the full story either as clearly some of it is commercial-in-confidence. Thank you Peachy for an informative video.

• Like 1

Yeah, a really interesting video from @Peachy . At first glance it kinda sounded like there wasn't anything much that he was able to tell us at this precise moment, but the fact that so many companies have told him that there's stuff they can't have public, rather than just outright say 'nah, not interested in TT' does rather hint at a bright future 🙂 

• Like 1

Great news that companies are looking at TT:120 being a scale they can get involved in, typically though there is always a lot of chatter at shows so I will restrain myself until we see products coming out. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

Great news that companies are looking at TT:120 being a scale they can get involved in, typically though there is always a lot of chatter at shows so I will restrain myself until we see products coming out. 😁

Totally agree.. When i worked for DELL/EMC we used to say various things at the trade shows. Did DELL make some of those, no. But at the time it was on a spreadsheet to be considered. So yes, when its on my layout, its real.

• Like 2

Really fantastic news coming out of Key Model World Live. It seems like we've got multiple accessory manufacturers on the cusp of expanding/introducing TT product ranges. I'm particularly happy to hear that Key Model World is still happy with their participation in the TT project. They've been helpful in legitimizing the scale. Their stamp of approval is meaningful.

And of course, Revolution's plans are also exciting. I suspect they have something in the pipeline, or else I'm not sure why they would schedule a TT Talk. And I'm glad they've picked up on the benefits of the scale's ability to reach the continental market. Of course, it's not a surprise they're savvy. Launching an entirely new brand and gaining widespread adoption is not something that anyone can do. It takes smarts. As to which models might fit...

Cargowaggon twins IZA

https://revolutiontrains.com/projects/cargowaggon-twins-iza/

IPA car carriers 

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/revolution-trains-ipa-car-carriers-oo-gauge

IWA Sfins 2 holdall vans and Rfnoos timber carriers

https://revolutiontrains.com/iwa-sfins-2-holdall-vans-and-rfnoos-timber-carriers/

Drax IIA-D biomass hoppers

https://www.tosh-railways.com/Wagons/UIC-letter-codes/T/Tafoos/i-3VxWXkD/A

WIA Arbel car carrier

https://revolutiontrains.com/take-five-revolution-offers-articulated-arbel-car-carriers/

IHA Sfhimmns covered steel carrier 

https://revolutiontrains.com/product/iha-sfhimmns-covered-steel-carrier-n-2mm/

KSA Rover “cube” van

https://revolutiontrains.com/product/ksa-rover-cube-van/

So, lots of optionality for models! I wouldn't be surprised if they do the IZA or one of the car carrier wagons. It seems like the car carriers are some of the fan favorites. I do think these first wagons will probably be aimed at the Class 66 crowd, and not the BR Blue/British Railways fans. There's a little bit of risk with this, because TT's established customer base is skewed heavily towards those markets at present. However, the Class 66 is looking really really good. And the pricing for the Class 66 is super competitive. Looking at those Class 66s should give Revolution the confidence that the Era 11 market will begin to populate. Moreover, while Hornby has two known wagons on the way (KFA, Sffgmss... and yeah, you can sort of count the HAAs, but they were on their way out) appropriate for the Class 66, the models proposed by Revolution are meaningfully different. If anything, Hornby should sell more Class 66 models because people will have the confidence to invest. I'm very upbeat about this! 

I mentioned this in the YouTube comments of Peachy's video, but I think it bears repeating. I think if Hornby/Arnold fails to get a Eurostar to market before Piko/Roco, I think this would represent a terrible failure. Either the e300 or the e320 are models that will sell well in both the UK and Europe. They can be sold in various liveries (the e320 under DB AG in Germany). Gaugemaster is a savvy operator. They get it. I've seen Simon extoll the virtues of TT while using the Eurostar as an example. I think this is one of the secret projects Hornby has in the works. If they don't, they're making a mistake that could hamper Hornby/Arnold's growth in TT. 

That's all I got! 🤣

• Like 2

@Generic Hornby Username we did discuss this in the International section, Hornby absolutely MUST get a Eurostar out first. The standard of Hornby TT:120 is premium and while I have long been a massive fan of Piko models (so capable and reliable!) the detail is a little more basic. I’m hoping the reception of 125s has focused attention towards delivering a Eurostar. It’s not likely that I would buy one for High Fell but for the good of the scale and Hornby profits I would even be ok with my 9fs being slightly delayed…. 😳

• Like 1

I wonder if, being a totally new thing for Hornby, the demographic for TT:120 might skew a little younger than they normally have? The reception to the HST suggests it might to me, people wanting to model trains they remember but from a more recent time? Steam being something we've only seen in preservation? I'm early 40s, so it's diesel and electric that I grew up with. Models like a Eurostar could well be a hit for TT.

• Like 4

@Dave the Busker I agree, although I get the feeling the 70’s 80’s & 90’s might be where they shift their focus. Perhaps the lack of interest of the era11 HST (compared to the era 7&8 versions) might put them off of the really modern stuff?

Edited by Peachy
Dyslexia

4 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

@Generic Hornby Username we did discuss this in the International section, Hornby absolutely MUST get a Eurostar out first. The standard of Hornby TT:120 is premium and while I have long been a massive fan of Piko models (so capable and reliable!) the detail is a little more basic. I’m hoping the reception of 125s has focused attention towards delivering a Eurostar. It’s not likely that I would buy one for High Fell but for the good of the scale and Hornby profits I would even be ok with my 9fs being slightly delayed…. 😳

Exactly! I'm hopeful, because we've seen Arnold has the appetite to launch EMUs in N Scale. They have the original ICE 3, Pendolino variants, and they've just launched a newly tooled Italian EMU.  Jouef also has a long history of launching EMUs. Hornby could even do a Eurostar project where they create versions of the Eurostar in OO, HO, TT, and N scale. The existing Eurostar tooling is supposed to have been very popular. So popular, in fact, that it's worn out and becoming unusable. Getting a research team together and getting detailed pictures, scans, documentation, etc. would allow Hornby to launch a new model through Hornby, Hornby TT:120, Arnold TT:120, Arnold N, and Jouef simultaneously all from a single product development. 

1 minute ago, Dave the Busker said:

I wonder if, being a totally new thing for Hornby, the demographic for TT:120 might skew a little younger than they normally have? The reception to the HST suggests it might to me, people wanting to model trains they remember but from a more recent time? Steam being something we've only seen in preservation? I'm early 40s, so it's diesel and electric that I grew up with. Models like a Eurostar could well be a hit for TT.

I think this is probably right. And the smaller scale means longer formations. It's interesting, because OO modelers often direct mockery towards TT because of the express passenger locomotives that are available. But that's one of the benefits of the smaller scale. It's not uncommon to see HO and N scale layouts in Continental Europe with express passenger locomotives and EMUs. As far as I've observed, no one makes fun of them. Along with a focus on more modern locomotives, it's also possible we'll see more  interest in HSTs, Class 80xs, Eurostars, and Pendolinos. This might mean fewer shunting/depot layouts and more landscapes. But TBD. 

5 minutes ago, Peachy said:

@Dave the Busker I agree, although I get the feeling the 70’s 80’s & 90’s might be where they shift their focus. Perhaps the lack of interest of the era11 HST (compared to the era 7&8 versions) might put them off of the really modern stuff?

I think it's going to hinge on the Class 66. If that performs well, the Era 11 people will start arriving. Hopefully, the Class 66 is highly successful. 

• Like 1

I agree that the Eurostar is a must, I would definitely be interested although my bank balance might scream. 

I have been concentrating on collecting models rather than building a permanent layout so far, and whilst I appreciate the other liveries may have more appeal to many, the last HST I travelled on was a GWR so chose that as my option.  I

Thanks for the great pictures and videos, they are really clear and informative.

• Like 3

Blue era diesels are in general a very popular and growing sector in all scales. It was an interesting time on the railways with some diverse trains running, still a lot of loco hauled passenger services and a wide range too. Plus those with the spending power today probably remember these where as steam as Dave says for most it’s been in preservation. I vaguely remember being taken to watch one of last steam services in my home town, I was 2 🤣
To commit to a wide range of scales would be expensive but Hornby could play their trump card and release TT:120 Eurostar variants in the ‘Home’ Brand, Jouef TT:120 Hornby TT:120 Arnold TT:120 and Lima TT:120. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

... we've seen Arnold has the appetite to launch EMUs in N Scale.

I have Arnold N ET 420 EMU models going back to the mid 70s, they're one of the main reasons I switched over to European from British N in the 80s as we had nothing like them 🙂 

1 hour ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

...allow Hornby to launch a new [Eurostar] model through Hornby, Hornby TT:120, Arnold TT:120, Arnold N ...

To be honest the Kato Eurostar in N is a long established and successful model so not sure if the market needs another one for N gauge. 

• Like 2