Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Not one to set a precedent, I've just bought one, an 'Improved Precedent', on offer at 'a major model retailer'.

Relating to another thread, I used Sam's Trains' previous video to help me consider if there was anything I really didn't like.

I remember seeing her at Carnforth years ago, and also a model running on their previous, fantastic model railway.

Al.

Well here she is - beautiful little model.

Diecast running plate and boiler + coal - detailing looks just like the real one I remember - had a black roof when I saw her 'though.

I reckon I'll swap out the traction tyred wheels for the plain ones - Sam said she's fine without tyres ......   !!

(Fun aside, I do prefer them without tyres, and a prototypical load is pretty light for these locos - maximum tractive effort was only ~10,000 lb !!

image.thumb.jpeg.09f66563be07b7627cd9d3a3483acd86.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice looking engine there, Al. I've just bought a very nice looking T9 from Rails using a 20% discount code. Says the motor spins in the description, so will have to wait and see what that portends.

Edited by Brew Man

I was also at Carnforth when Hardwicke was there. I was at Junior school and think I was about 10. I drew a picture on the Monday and then found out my teacher had also been there, even better I found out she was a railway enthusiast and knew quite a lot about trains.

We go through Carnforth on a regular basis to go walking around Arnside and Silverdale, and sometimes see engines in steam outside the old Steamtown shed. We don’t usually get a good view though due to the coaches and diesels in the way. 

• Like 1

Small world indeed.

That model railway was a masterpiece.  I remember the LMS Duchess hauling 15 coaches around it at a quite reasonable speed!  ...  and the model of Hardwicke - decades before this one came out.

I also remember seeing 3 Black 5's together!

It was also my first sighting of a BR Blue Sir Nigel Gresley - quite a little treasure trove of a site!

Al.

My main memory of that visit was just how huge the French and German locos were compared to ‘ours’. 

Do they ever have open days there or is it permanently closed to the public? 

I used to like the large three rail layout in the goods shed at Bury Transport Museum before it became the East Lancs Railway. 

I know when I've looked online in the past, Carnforth is not for general public access any more - other times there appear to be open days, so don't know from me!  I used to like to turn up at random - weekends - in the 70's after having convinced Mum, Dad and Big Bruv to go ... and generally it was open.

Back to the model, Sam is right, with the coreless motor, very little power is required, low speed control is excellent, but she's a real flyer if 'full power' is engaged - Gaugemaster D - DC Operation.

I swapped out the tyred drivers, running non-tyred ... Jury's out as she's getting bogged down / wheels more-than slipping too frequently with 4 very free-running LMS Hornby super detail coaches.

I'm going to replace the tyred wheels again I reckon, as, with quite a surprise, the low speed performance is absolutely superb as well - I want to take advantage of this into / out of the little through station, instead of 'storming off'.

Al.

Bought a nice renumbered A3 off Rails for £50 with motor issues. I don't know if many people know this but there are a batch of motor mounts out there where the slot is not long enough. Get the rat tail file out and hey presto problem solved. The loco is a renumbered Minoru I suspect although it is hard to tell without a box. I also moved the decoder to the tender as it is easier to fit (no so much can fall off when you take it apart). I was really pleased. It now runs really well.

A bit disappointed the Queen Mary is an 8-pin design, but not really a big deal. I've had front bogie issues on my other two streamlined Coronations, so hopefully this one is a smooth runner.

I can't see me ever really needing more than one of the dongles, but I got a few anyways. You can link several up together, but I mainly just wanted a couple of spares.

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

1 hour ago, DarkRedCape said:

A bit disappointed the Queen Mary is an 8-pin design, but not really a big deal. I've had front bogie issues on my other two streamlined Coronations, so hopefully this one is a smooth runner.

I can't see me ever really needing more than one of the dongles, but I got a few anyways. You can link several up together, but I mainly just wanted a couple of spares.

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

You can fix the bogie issues. If it is a late one, try and get a longer shouldered bolt for the front bogie, Hornby shortened it which causes issues. The other fix if it hasn't got it is to fit the later type sprung bogies from a Princess Royal (Hornby don't market the Duchess one as a spare) and bend the bogie bracket to fit.

I always fit the extra detailing - lamps, hoses, brake rigging and drain pipes.

I've never had a problem with the streamlined Coronations, when using the larger wheels - all mine used the alternative bogies.

I DO have issues every time with the new-tooling non-streamlined Coronations - sides of the bogies always catching the drainpipes.  I've resolved this 2 different ways with 2 locomotives - Gloucester and SWAS.

One I've simple found a 'previous tooling' bogie and fitted that - without the side castings which catch on the pipes.

The other I've removed the wheels temporarily, then used tin snips on the side castings, trimming bit-by-bit until the locomotive can safely negotiate all 'important' curves.   Both options work.

Of course, once 'snipped, before replacing the wheels, I spray up the bogie again, so its all black.

Al.

Have received R40436 - the exquisite L&MR Mail Coach (preordered from preferred retailer as soon as it was announced.)

I’m so pleased (& grateful) that Hornby are releasing the Era 1 rolling stock as individual items, so that customers can build up rakes of their preference.  This definitely increases personal choice & therefore enjoyment of the model railway/collection.

• Like 1

I mentioned in a post further up this thread that I'd bought a southern T9 that was billed as 'motor spinning', so I thought, sounds like the gears aren't engaging with the worm. Well it arrived yesterday and the first thing I did was a 9V battery test. Sure enough I could hear the motor but no movement from the wheels. So then I proceeded to remove the body and lo and behold half the chassis components fell out in small bits 😵. Well that was a waste of 50 quid I thought. I can either put it down to experience or see if I can return it. Then I decided I was going to rise to the challenge, so I looked up the components I will need and managed to find them all, (I think) on Peter's Spares. Reading a thread on RM it seems this plastic chassis components breaking has been a problem with this model over the years. Anyway, hopefully all will be well eventually.

Edited by Brew Man

I got the Bachmann 3F ready and started her running.

Don't know how familiar you all are with that 4-pin loco/tender connection - basically to permit connection to the DCC hardware.  It connects well, but is a pain if you need to remove it again - which you will each time some form of servicing is required.

Hornby's I find is far too fragile, but at least the finer gauge wires are flexible.  This is Bachmann.  At least the connector / wiring is far less fragile than Hornby's, but Bachmann prefer to have the socket further back (direct plug into the hardware), which means the thicker (than Hornby's) wires can catch - thus drag - against the wheels.

Some subtle repositioning of the wires - requiring me to remove the locomotive body - now means it's running quite nicely - and it is a genuinely lovely little locomotive.  I'm glad manufacturers are transitioning to a new alternative combined drawbar / connection.

Loco crew are now fitted as well and she's been circulating quite a lot today.

Just won a couple of locomotives I've been wanting for several years, over the weekend.

One, an older Bachmann N-Class, which may well be the split chassis design, so may have a couple of surprises, hopefully not initially - the insulating plastic axle centres effectively decompose over time and these 'self-destruct, 'though the locomotives are generally excellent and can run very well.

The other was a gamble.  Larger, more recent and more expensive.  I set a limit value - if I win, great, if not, there's always another - and I won well within budget.  A Dapol Western (BR Class 52 diesel hydraulic).  I've 'history' with one of these previously, when a PCB failed, factory representatives said it wasn't purchased from an authorised dealer so wasn't covered by Warranty, but fortunately the original seller - an Ebay (smaller) shop accepted a full reimbursing return.  Hopefully the story will be better this time.  I like 52's.

This one is a Maroon version, with name/number plates of D1010 Western Campaigner, one of the preserved ones, with 'small yellow ends' as preserved.

Al.

• Like 1

Just received 2 little beauties - one a fair bit older than the other.

image.png.9251e77731d05a572acb42c2f60ff78c.png

Both appear to be fully operational - we'll see tonight!!

The N-Class was 'bought for a song' but doesn't have any detailing - brake rigging on Ebay is £15!!  Straight from Bachmann it's £2 / item + P&P - slight difference.

Front steps could be an issue, but I have quite a few others which might do, that is assuming it can negotiate the curves with them on.  I like to fit them, if the locomotives can still be used.  If not, I'll leave them off.

There's a seller on Ebay called Mr. Mike, who does have a lot of interesting 'spares' available, but his pricing leaves you seriously wondering why you really want the parts in the first place!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

I've been nearly getting one for 3 years, but finally bit the bullet, and what a beauty as well.

I've got one of those 'use your holidays or lose them' end of year (we're on end of March to end of March now) long weekends, so I'll probably disconnect the tender and paint up the cab as well.

Loco's more than heavy enough, but the tender's really light, so I'll be loading that up where I can.

So far very happy with both of them.  Let's hope the 52's PCB doesn't go fizz like my last Dapol 52!!

Al.