Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Leigh of Colletts has just prepared to ship my BR blue 56 070.

Can't wait.

Still no simple, comprehensive review. I'm sure 'Sam' will get one pretty soon!

Not certain I'm going to weather this one ... yet!

How's she running Fazy?

Interesting method of mounting as well - shades of Hornby 15 years ago.

Al.

There's still the 60 just around the corner (10 months to go).

There's a 66 from another 'recent well known' manufacturer coming very soon (2 months) ....

We're reading these 'negative vibes' of Hornby and Bachmann, yet several relatively new companies rocking the boat are screaming in with new, very high quality models ... at very competitive prices as well.

Al.

There is a minor issue - it's got one 'sticky' buffer which I'm going to work on - replacement FoC is available but I said I'd see how I get on first.

Fit, finish, paint, looks, detail - absolutely superb.

Looking at the performance video of one 'contributor' going up his Helix with 22+ bogied wagons - 5 laden - haulage is not an issue either.

The format of A1A - A1A is interesting, but they confirm they wanted a 'floating centre axle' to ensure perfect riding over possibly uneven track - works perfectly for Heljan.

Worst case scenario, I'll have to pull out the buffer and get them to send a replacement - done that several times with other manufacturer's products anyway.

Al.

Yesterday I had delivered a R2788 Coronation loco, streamlined in LMS blue. It was my last ever purchase from Hatton's. Although I'm mainly a southern/GWR modeller, it is so nice I couldn't resist. Only the pickups in the tender are working, but by the look of it the main drivers have been very over oiled, so probably the pickup contacts have a nice layer of oil on them. I'll know more when I open it up. I don't suppose anyone knows what the correct service sheet for it is? I've got the maintenance sheet, but haven't been able to find the full service sheet as yet. The loco is split from a train pack and was, (I believe) made around 2001-2.

The loco in Train Pack R2788 (and several other Coronations amid a good many other loco classes) is not specified on any Service Sheet. Pat Hammond dates the release to 2008. If it has a pivoting pony truck and the jaws/fingers tender drawbar connection it is likely to be covered by sheet 222B.

Without going back through old catalogues, 2008 is probably correct for R2788. I bought (new) R2689 LMS Coronation Class – Duchess of Hamilton in March 2008. This was the annual NRM model of which Hornby produced one model a year for a number of years.

Already had a photo 'as arrived', now the CavAlex 56 has painted loco crew installed - I'm quite impressed and certainly makes a difference - even if one has his feet up on the controls!!

forum_image_65bfc35c5b4f3.thumb.png.288056cdd2079e8f39b7e7f7c9068278.png

How's the locomotive running? Superbly and very smooth and powerful, despite being slightly lighter than the Hornby one.

Al.

With that combination, the closest service sheet is 362 for a Princess Royal - I can find nothing relating to a Princess Coronation with a pivoting pony truck and the wired plug tender connection. Prior to your post, I had assumed the wired tender connection was introduced at the same time as fixed pony trucks.

@GS

It's definitely not 222B as that one has a non-NEM coupling, whereas mine has an NEM one. 362B seems to match closely, though I don't see tender pickups. Mine has both loco and tender pickups. Otherwise it seems to match.

Although the tender pick-ups are not visible on the exploded view, being on the underside of the tender chassis frame, you can just discern the wiring on the upper side of the frame leading to them from the socket or pin & plate at the front.

As your loco has the wired tender plug, is the decoder socket still on the loco chassis or has it been moved to the tender, as on the service sheet there appears to be provision made for it at the rear of the weight?

Yes, that does narrow it down - but only to be able to say there has not been a Service Sheet issued that covers your loco's specification.

And, from what Hornby tell me, it is most unlikely that there ever will be. Information regarding models that have been superseded (and that includes the Princess Coronations in the form you have) for which Service Sheets were not issued before being superseded will not be receiving any attention. As is all too evident from other posts, "the online team", whomever and wherever they are, are unable to deal in a timely manner with the flow of corrections for current product (not just Service Sheets) so historical inaccuracies and omissions even of relatively recent vintage will not be rectified.