Railroad 9F

thetowans

I'd love to open a model shop when my older, however, I know it s difficult to keep a shop open and that sort of thing would scare me. Also with there being already quite a big model shop in Cheltenham, it's pointless there being a second. So myself setting up my own model shop is pointless even thinking about, never mind doing it!  😀

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things may improve in years to come Jacob.  At the moment you need £50K just to keep the door open for a year. The killer things are business rates and property rents, utility bills as well, the internet with massive competition from big online discounters/model supermarkets, competition on ebay, it all takes it's toll.

People think having a website is the answer, it helps but you need to buy stock in at the right price, price is key and speed of delivery as people today want things in an instant.

I haven't got £50K, so that is out of the question then! You are right. Bills, rents, online websites, such as eBay and other model shops, are all comepting with each other, hence why model shop owners don' make the money they thinkt they will make.

You do need to buy stock from the right place. You need to get it at price's where by you make a profit, but it's a good price, that the prices will draw a lot attention by potential customers to keep buying from you. the best thing to do, is to try and be as popular as possible and offer the cheapest prices, that other reailers are offering, but that easier said than done!

When I was open and competing with the big boys I used to make 5% when competing on price with the big boys on a train set so on a trainset costing £70 I made £3.50 before deductions.  Main range locos IF competing with the big boys on a loco costing £120 would net me £14.

There's not much margin in it if you are competing on price.  My advice is find a niche in the marketplace, don't compete on price either, but set levels that give you a margin.

do we need real coal in a bunker for what is essentially a toy, we'll be asking for real steam and all the rest of it in place of smoke units next, heaven forbid.

We've already got real steam... Live Steam.. and it looks, sounds, and even smells fantastic...

do we need real coal in a bunker for what is essentially a toy, we'll be asking for real steam and all the rest of it in place of smoke units next, heaven forbid.

You have just stumbled on the difference between a Railway Modeler and a person who plays with trains. There's nothing wrong with either side of the Hobby as long as you get enjoyment out of it.

Though Some people do seem to take their side more seriously and can become very defensive when talking about the Hobby. 

I'm of to measure some Coal now to make sure it's to 4mm scale and not 3.5mm before adding it to a tender!

Good response Fazy, there are too many who think that their version of the hobby is the only true one, and then vilify anyone who ventures a different point of view. These are such sados.

It is too wet this afternoon to play with my pre-War definately not scale gauge O toy trains in the garden, so I may be testing my newly laid storage sidings in OO gauge in my shed, instead. Or I may start building a 4mm whitemetal kit of a SR/SECR D1 4-4-0 I have had in my 'to do' box for a year or so, or perhaps finish off a O gauge fine scale wagon kit, full of accurate rivet detail. Or maybe get my Hornby Dublo out of the attic for a test run.

There are so many variations of model railway, (and toy trains) so that everyone can get something out of the hobby.

And are you sure the coal isn't P4 scale, it would be too wide for an OO fireman's shovel!

Good point I'll put the coal to one side until I can get a better file, wouldn't want to make it under size now would I!

I might tackle those rivets on the Hornbys fireman's shovel.  They look a bit too North Eastern for a Midland set layout. 

Good point I'll put the coal to one side until I can get a better file, wouldn't want to make it under size now would I!

I might tackle those rivets on the Hornbys fireman's shovel.  They look a bit too North Eastern for a Midland set layout. 

giving me a good laugh this issue is.

Remember that diiferent Railway Companies, and the BR Regions used different types of coal! 😉

Yes, really!

For example, Western locos were meant to use best Welsh Steam Coal. (This limited the height of the GWR Coaling Stages, as Steam Coal is fragile and breaks into small pieces easily if dropped from a great height...)

As I have one of the Bachmann Coaling plants I should be ok! But windings a fully loaded 10t wagon up, really takes it out of you! Don't need any of that foreign welsh stuff here!  

For heavens sake don't to the wife!  Being Welsh!!

Never knew about coal being so easily damaged.  Cheers Sarah. 

Before he was rebuilt Henry needed Welsh Coal to enable him to maintain steam, and the Fat Controller set aside a supply at the shed for Henry only. The other locos were fed ordinary English rubbish!  This is surprising because at the time Henry was very similar it Gordon with a wide round top firebox. And he was a 4-6-2 as well. Even painting him green with red stripes didn't improve his performance. However following his accident on the 'Flying Kipper' the Fat Controller sent him away to Crewe where he was converted into a 4-6-0 and given a Belpaire firebox.  This rather suggests that the original Doncaster design was rubbish, and what was needed was some proper Crewe engineering!!  😆

It has already been suggested  that Swindon products performed badly on anything but South Wales coal. So why can Derby and Crewe locos steam beautifully on Nottinghamshire or Yorkshire's finest?  We shall not mention Polish coal (or briquettes) .

This topic has really gone off topic now.

The basic overall admin. guidelines of the forum require that the original posters question should be answered before going off topic, since this was done by a few early replies then the guidelines have been met.

With regards to your previous post, the topic title wasn't really very accurate in the first place, so a bit of wandering was to be expected.

Going by past comments you have made, you seem to take your relationship with Thomas very seriously and so seem quite aggressive in your responses.

I'm sure we all come across posts that bother us in one way or another but most people tend to not take it too seriously, after all Thomas is not one of your children, it's a toy.

Enjoy it, have fun and have a laugh.  If it bothers you, just ignore it, I'm sure you'll feel better. 😆

The basic overall admin. guidelines of the forum require that the original posters question should be answered before going off topic, since this was done by a few early replies then the guidelines have been met.

With regards to your previous post, the topic title wasn't really very accurate in the first place, so a bit of wandering was to be expected.

Going by past comments you have made, you seem to take your relationship with Thomas very seriously and so seem quite aggressive in your responses.

I'm sure we all come across posts that bother us in one way or another but most people tend to not take it too seriously, after all Thomas is not one of your children, it's a toy.

Enjoy it, have fun and have a laugh.  If it bothers you, just ignore it, I'm sure you'll feel better. 😆

I guess the original question has been posted. I such just surprised that smum any off topic conversations are taking place in this thread!

I don't take my relationship with Thomas aggressivly, NormanQ4. I don't have a relationship with Thomas. I am just a big fan of Thomas the Tank Engine. I don't even feel that I am aggressive in my posts.

Thomas isn't a child of mine and I don't treat it him like this. I don't have any baby children and I don't want any.

I such just surprised that smum any off topic conversations are taking place in this thread!

What I meant to write in the quoted sentence above, is the following:

"I am so suprised that so many off topic conversations are taking place in this thread!".

Sorry about this, guys and girls. That is my iPad deciding for me what to write!

@NormanQ4

What previous post of mine are you talking about, NormanQ4?

Archived