Railroad 9F

thetowans

Yes, I have heard of Google.

I didn't say that they can't be compared. I said that they are have different toolings and have been built in different era's.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/simonsays/the-railroad-way/

You may find the above history of the Railroad range, written by the man responsible for its introduction, useful as it clearly indicates that the rationale behind the range was to make use of older, less detailed tooling to create a cheaper introductory range. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SteveM6

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/simonsays/the-railroad-way/

You may find the above history of the Railroad range, written by the man responsible for its introduction, useful as it clearly indicates that the rationale behind the range was to make use of older, less detailed tooling to create a cheaper introductory range. 

I do know that. That is the reason why Hornby launched the RailRoad range 10 years ago, this year however, they are more delicate than they sound. For example, my Murdoch from the Thomas & Friends range, is a Class 9F and he shares the same tooling of the Class 9F tooling in Hornby's RailRoad range; Which is still very delicate and not as less detaled, as that paragraph states.

Gentlemen 

There are 4 versions of the 9f manufacturers introduction dates1971, 1988, 1999, 2008. and there are variations with in the eras.

One of the best referance books to get is the Ramsey's british model trains catalogue, but it will not give you all the information to identify the differances between one loco and another. People like SoT who ran a railway model shop and repair service are the best sources of information in the variations that can be found. 

I will have look into that catalogue. I might buy a copy. It sounds interesting.

I did not know that The son of Triangman ran a model shop had repair service!

Jacob

Your starter for 10 to quote an old quiz show - in case you have to  ask

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/rare-spares-17598/?p=1

this is one of several related threads SoT has lodged...

I don't know what you mean by a quiz show and posting that link of level crossing gates have to do with Hornby Class 9F locomotives.

@RAF96

...finding the rest should keep you busy until Easter.

@Fishmanoz

Any advance on Easter, Christmas maybe?

How does Easter and Christmas fit into this, as well?

The very first Evening Star locos were permantely coupled to the tender, and had wires taking the feed from the Loco Driving Wheels to th etender, which had all wheel drive, and Traction Tyres on all wheels...

They also had fragile handrails at th eback of the cab, which were soon modified to be stronger, by moulding in the gap!

The first upgrade to the 9F was a Paint Finish, followed by seperate hand rails on the boiler.

Early China made 9F locos were still Ringfield Tender Drive models....and introduced sprung buffers and pick up from all driving wheels, and "outside" (driven) tender wheels. (Two connections between loco and tender.)

The Railroad models, it seems, still use the tender pick-ups, hence the "Cover Plate" for the motor being fitted!

Most....if not all....the Former Tender Drive models in the Railroad Range have the old ringfield motor block (housing) in the tender.

I believe that all that is missing to make a China Made Ringfield Tender Drive is the Armature / Rotor, main drive gear (on the Armature Shaft), primary plastic gears (2 off) which take the drive from the main gear, and secondary plastic gears (2 off) which take the drive from the secondary gears to the gears that are moulded on the wheel centres....

Have they installed an 'ignore' button yet?

Steve

You told me to behave - stones and glass houses comes to mind!!!  😆

I know I did PP, but I've grown tired of reading this drivel every day. And I have a big pile of stones and toughened glass in my house.

@jacob Indeed there have been several modifications to the 9F but the moulds date from 1971 and are historic moulds. Yes the railroad example has sprung buffers, wire handrails etc but it's still the same moulds in use today. It says a lot for the design of the original model that the original moulds are still in use. I did indeed own a shop and online business for quite a while and came from a family that had an old school retail model shop that sold Tri-ang as a primary product at one time.

I guess the moulds are the same, just with adjustments have been made, to include sprung buffers, seperate handrails, etc.

I hope you isn't mind me asking, but what was the name of your model and shop and website? Where were they based? Is it still running, or have they closedown?

Looks too clean, Sarah, I can still read the number !! 😉

😆

Ahhh, but this model was supposed to be an early 1950s loco, virtually brand new out of Crewe Works....

Apparently the number (from the Hornby alternative numbers from another, black 9F model...) is actually a loco that had the "high side" BR tender....(Also, the white numbers should be a bit more yellow/cream!)

It was actually a "Evening Star" model to start with! 😉

It has since been mostly replaced by a later China Built model....Single Chimney and High Side BR Tender...but I still have the pictured tender, which has a NEM socket installed as well! (I supplied a different tender when I passed the loco on....)

>SNIPPED

The Railroad models, it seems, still use the tender pick-ups, hence the "Cover Plate" for the motor being fitted!

Most....if not all....the Former Tender Drive models in the Railroad Range have the old ringfield motor block (housing) in the tender.

I believe that all that is missing to make a China Made Ringfield Tender Drive is the Armature / Rotor, main drive gear (on the Armature Shaft), primary plastic gears (2 off) which take the drive from the main gear, and secondary plastic gears (2 off) which take the drive from the secondary gears to the gears that are moulded on the wheel centres....

I should add that I think that another part needed is the Brass Bearing/ Bush that the motor shaft runs in, at the "back" of the motor Block (Housing). This is "rivetted" in place. I don't think it is fitted in the RR models...

@Sarah............you seem to have missed the original question......."Can anyone help please How do you take the top off the tender of the Railroad 9F please as I would like to put real coal in the bunker ?"..........nothing to do the motor.......... 😀..........HB

Many thanks to all who answered, think I am going to have to sit doiwn and make a descision, once again thanks to you all.

Hi,,,,why not just apply some pva glue to the imitation coal and sprinkle on the real coal ,,,you only have to make sure you completely cover the area ,,,mjb

@Sarah............you seem to have missed the original question......."Can anyone help please How do you take the top off the tender of the Railroad 9F please as I would like to put real coal in the bunker ?"..........nothing to do the motor.......... 😀..........HB

Hi HB....

Been there....Done that.... 😉

Posted at 19:36:52 Sat, 8 Apr 2017

It is possible to get a floor in to clear the motor block (in both Tender Drive and later RR models, which have the block in place, but no motor parts, to hold the wheels and tender pick-ups).

I have done this with a tender drive 9F loco. (The same tender body was used on Evening Star and other (Black) 9F models, and the later Britannia locos as well....)

There are two clips on each side of the tender chassis that engage in slots inside the tender body..

Hornby instructions reccommended "Squeezing" the ends of the tender inwards, causing a slight outwards bowing of the sides, which SHOULD help release the clips from the slots. Try one side at a time...works for me...

It does involve "chain drilling" with a small bit in a "Pin-Vice" (hand drill. I do not reccomend an electric drill! 😮) around the inside of the coal load, and cutting through CAREFULLY with a small razor saw or Craft Knife, finally cleaning up the inside.

Then plastic card was used to make a rectangular box, the botom of which just clears the top of the motor block.

This was painted black, and coal glued in place with PVA (Wood Glue).

Tri-ang Railways tenders mostly had a seperate plastic coal moulding.

The bodies were mainly attached to the chassis by a screw through the bottom of the coal space, from INSIDE the coal space. The coal moulding was basically a cover for the screw location....which does resemble the coal space a bit!

The EX LNER B12 tender was, I think, the first tender with intrgrally moulded coal, being screwed on from the bottom, as was the Ex GWR Hall, and LNER / BR A3 Flying Scotsman tenders....

Posted at 19:36:52 Sat, 8 Apr 2017

@ Jacob.  My shop was Norfolk Coast Models Jacob, the shop was tiny and in Wells-Next-The-Sea and out in the sticks on the North Cambridgeshire/Norfolk Border. I packed up due to ill health, the business couldn't compete with the big discounters and rising costs as well so it meant it wasn't viable to stay open. The website is no longer online, long gone now.

Did Norfolk Coast Models sell the Hornby Thomas range?

That is problem for small model shops to stay open and in business, with big model shops like Hattons and Rails of Sheffield, offering large discounts on products. People empty the stock of those shops before anywhere else.

Did your website have the same name?

@Jacob. The website did indeed have the same name. I sold the whole range and parts as well. Servicing was a loss leader as were dcc conversions. The main money was in spares and motor rewinds and remagnetising. I looked at the possiblity of re-opening but the figures still don't equate to a profit. Such is life, I have other paths to go down. Small shops are a nightmare to keep open today. I can't say anymore without bending the rules too much.

Archived