Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One advantage to reaching the ripe old age of 70 is that you can ask for a special present, so here is the first one that I've received:
forum_image_628b9d3ce377e.png.eaf2f856607bd4231a439d6fcc1181b6.png
And here is the second one, which I've been trying to find for ages (at a sensible price) to go with my recently acquired Walrus:
forum_image_628b9d3ee7f1d.png.e034ea722255c0e28cf795d598a26de7.png
Happy Days!

I've got three different BBMF's now. It does seem odd to me that the Hurricane has been overlooked in the latest incarnation though. I remember helping Air Cadets to make a diorama of a rescue launch going to the aid of a downed German 'plane ( I think it was a JU88) with a Spitfire flying "top cover". We used resin to make the "water". It was a nightmare (the resin I mean) but it turned out ok and we won a prize for it. As an aside, I bought a Supermarine Walrus kit when we visited HMS Belfast a few years ago. The guy in the gift shop said "Enjoy your Walrus". I thought "when would I ever hear that again?".

April/May:

Handley Page Sparrow Hawk: Valom 1/72

Sd.Kfz.223 Leichter Panzerspahwagen: Tamiya 1/35

M3 Stuart: Academy 1/35

SAS Jeep: Tamiya 1/35

King Tiger last production: Academy 1/35

Vickers Valiant: Airfix 1/72

Panzer IV Ausf J: Tamiya 1/35

Tiger I Early: Airfix 1/35

Kfz.70 Truck: Tamiya 1/35

I've just ordered the 1/35 mystery package taking advantage of the current offer so here's hoping..

Three Airfix kits from a local shop (having a sale)

A 1/35 M10 GMC Tank Destroyer.

A 1/35 Tiger 1 "Early version".

A 1/72 N A B25C/D Mitchell.

I've also taken advantage of the 20% online discount from Airfix and am awaiting

A 1/72 DH Mosquito B.XVI and a 1/35 British M3 Stuart Honey.

I got my new Mosquito today (A04023). It looks to be a great kit, a quantum leap away from those I've made before. Looking through the instruction manual, the detailing is superb and interior details look wonderful. I just wonder why only one crew member is included in the box though. The Mossies had two crew members (a pilot and navigator/bomb aimer). I think my new "mitchell" has the same issue. Any information?

I think Airfix assumes people don’t put aircrew in the kits now, so many companies don’t give any. Mosquito did have two crew so you have to supply your own if you want them in. The Blenheim doesn’t give sufficient aircrew and the defiant only gives one person. Many don’t put crew in but I always do by choice. Personally I believe the planes look strange without crew. But I don’t do them in stand down conditions. Sometimes you can buy crew from Airfix or other sources sell crew.
I think there was a section on forum about the new mosquito you might find interesting before starting on it. I believe there are some issues about accuracy of kit as a bomber as the source used for kit was post war reconnaissance version. Some reviews on web also might be of interest for you.
Whatever you do have fun!
🥳

Thanks Rod. I appreciate you answering. I still don't get why they'd only put one figure in the kit though (all or nothing eh?). I agree with you that a model 'plane "in flight" looks odd without crew so I'd assume that it makes sense to include them (people can take or leave them). Surely it can't be that much more expensive to include a full complement of (visible) crew at 1/72 scale? Anyway I guess I can use one of my unused figures from another kit if I decide to place them in the Mossie. Thanks for the suggestions about reviews as well, and, yes, you're right, having fun is the main point of it all.

I think Airfix assumes people don’t put aircrew in the kits now, so many companies don’t give any. Mosquito did have two crew so you have to supply your own if you want them in. ... Some reviews on web also might be of interest for you.
Whatever you do have fun!
🥳
Thanks Rod. I appreciate you answering. I still don't get why they'd only put one figure in the kit though (all or nothing eh?). ... I decide to place them in the Mossie. Thanks for the suggestions about reviews as well, and, yes, you're right, having fun is the main point of it all.

Answering you both:-

1) I'd rarely use aircrew because most aircraft actually spend most time on the ground unoccupied.

2) That said, I can justify "only a pilot" (and maybe a navigator or RT operator) by saying "he's on an engine test". Certainly this works for a Mossie with just a pilot.

3) Having said that, if you want a model of $type during "the big show" you do want all cockpit and defensive gunner positions to be occupied.

Sometimes you can buy crew from Airfix or other sources sell crew.
I believe there are some issues about accuracy of kit as a bomber as the source used for kit was post war reconnaissance version.

Revell issued sets of RAF aircrew figures, I can't ever remember Airfix doing the same, that is figures that can be used to occupy an aircraft. The Airfix faux pas of using inappropriate period figures was something that occurred with kits released shortly after the Hornby takeover, I don't think it's happened recently.

In respect of the Mosquito BXVI, the aircraft used as a reference was a target tug, hence the mouldings on the bomb doors that represent the winch gear. The wings also have the raised spar tapes, a feature of late production aircraft. In most respects it's a very good portrayal of a Mosquito, just not the variant stated on the box. wink

Re: inclusion of crew figures, it may seem something that could be done without any huge amount of investment, but it's still an on-cost that the money men will be looking at.

The question of crew figures was answered on a recent edition of Sprue Talk (on you-tube). Without going into too much detail; in the old days one figure fitted all aircraft because of the lack of cockpit detail. In recent times the level of detail has increased and the fitting of a pilot has become problematic in that a unique figure may be required to slot into the tight space left in the cockpit. Generally, the unique figure does not warrant the cost and if an existing pattern will fit it may be used. Then, of course, the uniform may not be correct. Open a whole new can of worms.

However you say producing a new mould for each new kit is too expensive. Surely they are producing new moulds for each new part of a new kit anyway and the aircrew would just be a new part. Benefits of CAD to making parts surely helps reduce research costs and that can be used to achieve modifications necessary for each kit.

Even if you have a CAD model available, the figure still has to be cut into the new tooling, which is an on-cost. Plus if you are having to tailor figures to fit specific cockpits then you may need to generate a new CAD model. There's a bit more to it than clicking a mouse button a few times. As it stands Airfix are one of the few manufacturers that actually provide crew figures.

With respect to the Revell figures it was always my understanding that they look too large because they are 'correct', i.e. not deliberately under-scale to fit any specific cockpit/seat. If you're looking for good quality figures to occupy your models I would suggest doing a search on the Hannant's pages for P J Productions. There's also a burgeoning market with those folk doing 3D designs/printing.

I had the latest Buccaneer kit delivered yesterday. Had to laugh a bit at the size of the box compared to the original series 3 issue from the sixties. I've heard of inflation but this is on steroids. Still, its a really good kit, as is the old one.

forum_image_62a273d79d3bd.thumb.png.38e991ea8300b499e08b98d6a21fd004.png

Back on topic, forget the threads !😂
So what is in the box, never seen that before.
A01071 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I
VHS Video Camel To Spitfire
Glue, brush and two paints
Issued in 1999

I had a similar set with a Red Arrows "Gnat", I believe. I donated it to the local ATC squadron where I was a Civilian Instructor at the time.

The first one was meant to be an easy build after the trials and tribulations of building and rigging the 1/72 Demon - although the paint job will be a bit tricky just using brushes to finish this Fiat G50:

forum_image_62ab3978bb806.png.970e15da6f4fb132674aa319c109e057.png

And the second one rather contradicts my determination to avoid rigging for a while - but it links logically to my Spitfire obsession - just a shame that I had to look at other than Airfix for this Supermarine S6B:

forum_image_62ab3979ecdc2.png.e9f08b253e2065ee3cb252d6a4cd3b58.png