Sovereign and signature collections.

Big big train

There look to be some good sets (in that the quality is good) but I'm not sure that all the Signature sets are well matched.  The Welshman with King class and 4 Collett coaches probably makes sense (I don't know if the Collett coaches were still in use in the late 50s/early 60s, but the East Lincs Special with B17, some private owner wagons, but no brake van, makes less sense.  I'm sure that B17 were used on freights from time to time, but most were associated with passenger work.  Simliarly, the Eastern Suburban with J15 and four Mk1 corridor coaches is an odd combination.  There are probably examples of J15s occasionally pulling these coaches somewhere, but when they pulled passenger trains the coaches were typically Gresley non-corridor types, or shorter corridor types.  Since Hornby produce plenty of suitable coaches and wagons, why not use a more suitable combination.

e.g. B17 with 3 Gresley corridor coaches

J15 with a mixed goods + brake van in matching BR livery, or LNER J15 + some private owner wagons, or a J15 with some non-corridor Gresley stock.

You may think I'm being a bit pedantic, but these sets seem to aimed at more discerning beginners - "...new to the hobby enthusiasts who are looking for detailed locomotives and comparable rolling stock..." is a quote from the page, so why not get a sensible match, especially as all the items are available?

Well there can't be a massive amount of track, becuase puts the RRP up. However the whole of a train set is to start you off, so when you buy you are supposed to expand it, by buying additonal track, buildings. If enough track was supplied in these sets, it stop people buying extra track, which something Hornby want you to do.

I do believe that the larhger train sets have a generous amount of track. Not enough, I admit, but to get you going if you do not have a layout, it's generous amount. For this money making world we live in, I do think it's a  genrous amount that Hornby supply.

GNR-Gordon-4

I think the "Signature" range is expensive. If Hornby want to make up "bundles", call them Train Packs and leave the track. controller and track plan out. I haven't checked, but you can probably buy the loco and coaches individually and cheaper than what is being asked. 

I have now checked and while not a direct comparison - the new Pullman Days consists of a Blue Class 71 and two Pullman Coaches (no mention of lights) - Cost £229.99.   You can get a brand new Class 71 (albeit in green) and two Pullman coaches - with lights and brand new, for a total of £154.44 - that's a difference of £75.55 - I know which way I would go.  Sorry but they really don't look that attractive.

These two new range's, Hornby Sovereign and Hornby Signature range's are expensive, but the models included are detailed. Probably models I wouldn't want to own or touch, but for people who want Train Pack's and / Train Set's that include very detailed models, these are to buy, hence why they come in fancy dark red and black boxes

It's like when you go to a supermarket and look at the supermarket's own branded food. For example, I will pick Sainsbury's. When one visits Sainsbury's and their own branded food products, you have, Sainsbury's Basics (Cheapest range), by Sainsbury's (Mid-range) and Sainsbury's Taste the Difference (Luxury range). If we look at it in terms of Hornby's Train Packs and / or Train Sets; Well Hornby don't have a cheaper basic range, so we will count this out. Let's just focus on Sainsbury's mid-range, by Sainsbury's and their luxury range, Sainsbury's Taste the Difference. Hornby Train Packs are the by Sainsbury's range. Hornby Sovereign is Hornby's luxury Train Packs. Hornby Train Packs are the Sainsbury's Taste the Difference range.

One also has to ask is, are Hornby bringing us these luxury range's, to recoup some money, lost from the Thomas & Friends licence, which Hornby are loosing very soon? I could be wrong here, it would not surprise me, hence these two range's being released. Hornby are struggling for money, so new ideas and ventures is the only way to regain money from something that they can no longer make money from anymore.

Also, Hornby have announced the retailers that are selling these two range's and there does not appear to be a way to pre-order these from Hornby themselves. Take note that Hatton's Model Railways and Rails of Sheffield are not listed to sell them, so it these range's must be exclusive to smaller model shops and other retailers to sell only?

Here is the retailer list, who will be selling the Hornby Sovereign and Hornby Signature range's:

• Train Shop
  • FMR Direct
  • The Model Shop
  • Tutbury Models 
  • Malcs Models 
  • TMC
  • Signals
  • High Peak Models
  • South Devon Railway
  • Sawyer Models
  • John Dutfield
  • SMTF
  • Derails 
  • Lord and Butler
  • Arcadia Models
  • Something Wicked
  • Cheltenham Model Centre
  • Model Railways Direct
  • Modelmaniacs
  • Dorking Models
  • Pontypool and Blaenavon 
  • Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway
  • Orwell Railway
  • Hereford Model Centre
  • Frank Herring and Sons
  • Marcway 
  • Aspire
  • DB Models 
  • Great Eastern
  • Trainstop
  • Antics
  • Kernow
  • Island Railway Shop
  • Salisbury Model Centre
  • The Railway Conductor
  • EKM Exhibitions
  • MC Slots
  • TerraScenic
  • Ashton Model Centre
  • AC Models
  • Howe and Davis
  • Lendons
  • The Engine Shed
  • Buffers Model Railways
  • Model Railway Solutions
  • Topp Trains
  • Trains 4 U
  • Millennium Models
  • Crafty Hobbies
  • Morris Models
  • SAT Model Rail
  • Access Models
  • KS Models
  • Train Times

GNR-Gordon-4

The list of suppliers is strange - if you look at the list in the email and go to the bottom of the list, it says "find your local stockist" - both Hattons and Rails of Sheffield are listed.  It looks asthough they are saying if your local shop is not here, check for your local stockist.

I don't wish to appear negative, but I just don't see these as "luxury" items and I don't see them as good deals. We shall see.

BB, the stockist is in general. This will bring you results of all retailers that sell Hornby's products officially. The list of retailers that I posted in my earlier post (Posted at 23:19:23 Tue, 9 Oct 2018; Edited at 23:25:50 Tue, 9 Oct 2018; Both UK time), appear to be the only retailer's that will only sell the Hornby Sovereign and Signature products, I think. This is how I understand it, anyway.

At least the Hornby Signature range contains the HM2000 Power Controller, unlike the standard range train set's that has the cheap black and sliver plastic thing (Can't remember it's product code!  🫨 😉 😆).

Only time will tell and light will be shone on the qua;ity of these, when these do get released, which a feeling tells me will be in 2019!  😉 😀

GNR-Gordon-4

There was discussion on another forum and some of the opinion suggested it was slow moving stock bundled so as to shift it, BUT the price of the collective bits could be found for much less than the bundle if you looked around for them.

Rob

Big big train, that’s a nice comment you posted there. I think it should do well. These two luxury range‘s do really seem exclusive to smaller model shop‘s and other types of retailer‘s, which is very nice. You can’t even buy them from the name model shop‘s, like Hatton‘s Model Railways, or Rails of Sheffield. You can’t even get them from Hornby themselves, which does show that Hornby are releasing them to support smaller retailers.

GNR-Gordon-4

If father Christmas delivers some of these on the 25th of december,then I'm sure there will be some delighted faces when they are unwrapped.I've been a happy customer of Hornby(or triang railways),as it was known then,since the early 1960s and have been a loyal customer ever since and anything that Hornby does to try and generate income should be welcomed.This is an amazing hobby,I even visited the Hornby factory in Margate on three different occasions on factory tours during the 1980s when production was carried out there and once you're into model railways,you tend to stay with it for life.I highly recommend this hobby and I wish all at Hornb y every success in this venture.

I very much doubt that these will be ready for Christmas, Big big train. I doubt they have started their journey on the production line yet. A piece of information that Hornby has not given us, are estimated arrival dates. Perhaps these have not been worked out yet, or the retailers have these dates.

GNR-Gordon-4

The list of suppliers is strange - if you look at the list in the email and go to the bottom of the list, it says "find your local stockist" - both Hattons and Rails of Sheffield are listed.  It looks asthough they are saying if your local shop is not here, check for your local stockist.

I don't wish to appear negative, but I just don't see these as "luxury" items and I don't see them as good deals. We shall see.

But toy trains are a luxury item. 

@ Gordon

2 Things :-

Firstly - I see you shop at Sainsburys like I do - been shopping there for years :)

I Like the way you anolized (sorry can't spell some words!!!) Sainsburys Products with Hornby's Products!!! :)

2nd - I thought that Hornby's "RailRoad" Collection was their less Exspenisve range???!!!???

@ Every one else

I think that their "Signature" Range is really exspensive for some just to start out with - Yeah it is nice but why would you spend £312.99 plus on your very 1st set, when you could buy something cheaper Like The Highland Rambler for £79.99 or maybe The West Coast Highlander for £89.99, or if you wanted some thing fancy you may be stretch your budget to £174.99 to £184.99 for the East Coast Express, Mallard or the F. S. Train Set!!!

I very much doubt that these will be ready for Christmas, Big big train. I doubt they have started their journey on the production line yet. A piece of information that Hornby has not given us, are estimated arrival dates. Perhaps these have not been worked out yet, or the retailers have these dates.

GNR-Gordon-4

What production line are you talking about? These sets are simply made up of items that aren't selling too well. Look at the product codes. All these Train Sets and Train Packs are simply re-packed existing stock. These have been on the shelves for a while now. They were produced months and years ago.

I very much doubt that these will be ready for Christmas,... I doubt they have started their journey on the production line yet. A piece of information that Hornby has not given us, are estimated arrival dates.

What production line are you talking about? These sets are simply made up of items that aren't selling too well. Look at the product codes. All these Train Sets and Train Packs are simply re-packed existing stock. These have been on the shelves for a while now. They were produced months and years ago.

Essentially what I said at the bottom of page 1 and noted at the other forums.

Rob

Jimyjames, I also go to Tesco.

The RailRoad is Hornby’s budget range. There are not currently any train sets for sale in the RailRoad range yet. The only train set that was in the RailRoad range was the Bartellos’ Big Top Circus Train Set, but this was discontinued a number of years ago, so I didn’t include the RailRoad range in my train set comparison.

GNR-Gordon-4

I thought it significant that these recent sets include the HM2000 twin cab controller, that's got to be worth £90........then with the track plan book would encourage buyers to extend to the multi-loop layout via the purchase of Trak packs........certainly a better strategy than just providing the cheapy controller.........I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers for these sets who are not as knowledgeable and critical as some of us seasoned Forum members......... 😀............HB

Archived