Hornby 2021 Range

Well seeing as no one else seems to have started one, I might as well.

Personally, I'm really happy with this year's range, one of the largest I can remember!

Highlights for me:

• 9F - I know it was teased in the advent calendar a few weeks ago, but I'm interested to see how this complete retooling compares to the last version
  • Vans and tankers - It's strange how excited one can get about a humble tanker wagon, but these look really good! I had promised myself I'd only buy wagons from model railway shows, as they're often a lot cheaper, but I might treat myself to one or two of those shiny Esso ones!
  • Coca Cola - I know it's not exactly accurate, but again I might get a tanker or refrigerator van because they do look great!
  • Totally-not-Thomas-and-Percy - I think it's a great idea to reuse perfectly good moulds, I know a few people have asked for the SE&CR green E2, so they should be pleased and the regular Railroad Pug, Dowlais and 101 could do with some more in the range

Really disappointed that you can't buy the postal van for the Rocket individually. It will just create another bidding war on auction sites because of the limited number available and previous Rocket release purchases made ensuring true Hornby customers feel they have lost out again.

Well without being too negative, most of the release dates are sumer or October time. Seeing as Hornby has great difficulty meeting most time scales, these are probably destined for 2022. I know we have had Covid but there are an awful lot of things in the 2020 catalogue that have not been released yet. Similarly the same for the 2019 catalogue. Nice "wish list" though. I am sure the 4 and 6 wheeled carriages will be released really quickly, they seem to like doing this.

Yes, strange that about the mail coach. Perhaps we shall see a seperate release in future. Some model shops split Hornby sets into individual items, so you may be lucky there.

From the Hornby YouTube video it seems the 4 and 6 wheel coaches are pretty much ready to go, at least, they have decorated samples with working lights. Will have to see if there's anything in the next Engine Shed blog.

And I agree, oh for the days when a top-of-the-range model was £120

I mentioned on JJ's, it appears an 'LMS lad' as I am seems to be getting a stable of big LNER kettles!!

2x W1's and an A2/2 pre-ordered from last Jan ...  July, July and Feb I think - this year.

Rake of Coronation coaches ..... April-May.

2021?

Prince of Wales and Lord President - P2's - should be superb!!

AND, FINALLY ....

Small logo, TOPS, blue Class 56.  Unfortunately I think they come without the fan mechanism, 'though it can be retro-fitted.

My old EWS 56 has had plenty of hours trundling around without issue - just add a dab of oil to the mounting bushes every so often and it's fine.

Mine must have at least 30+ hours on it and still an absolutely stunning model - performance wise.

Al.

1) Can someone explain why only a single model (BR Std 2MT) is marked as "new tool".  Obviously the 9Fs and P2s must be due to price? OP stated the 9F is but why is this not clearly marked?  Did you find that out on the You Tube presentation?  Please let us know whoch ar new tool if you are in the know!  This is quite important for me as I just shelled out on a Centenary Evening Star and the older decorated version of P2 Cock.  

2) Great idea making some of the £200+ models with a flicker box and die cast even if it only the footplate.  I initially got excited as I thought that might mean the foot board/running board but I guess not as the flicker box and die cast foot plate are possibly one unit?  Anyway lights of any kind a get me excited.  The lit 4/6 wheel coaches also look nice in all the different liveries. Princesses look good too.

3) Are the streamlined bodied W1 and P2 using A4 toolings I wonder?  How similar were the bodies originally originally?

Also the prices seem to be a bit inconsistent, for example R3981 Standard 2MT says £157.49 on the 2021 list, but £188.99 on the page itself. Different members of the class have different prices too, despite having exactly the same livery as seen with R3836 (£179.99). Any idea at this stage whether the RRP for 2021 is more than the ones in the 2020 range or wether it's just a mistake on the website?

Hi

Intresting collection  New HST Blue Pullman great but why so expensive for the two power cars could they have been a more railroad standard as I can not afford £280 plus for them plus £34 per coach,

I only Loco I will be saveing up for is The Air Smoothed Merchant Navy General Steam Navigation,

Can not understand the copying of the 4 & 6 wheel coaches, there is a number of other earlier era coaches they could have made as well as locomotives to match

The new junior sets look good  just need to keep it freash every other year

I trust the die-cast bodies will have decent quality control to preclude mazak rot further down the road. You can’t beat a metal body for that solid gold feel. Others have remarked that no matter how much detail you apply to a plastic model it is still a plastic model, whereas a metal model though maybe lacking in fine detail is somehow better, definitely more robust.

Apart from that there are many more things in the catalogue, (which represents only the 2021 releases not the whole range), that did not appear on the ‘media’ releases.

There are many other things in the offing but obviously not at a stage where they will tell openly us about them.

I just hope that they stick to the script and don’t start binning stuff as the pre-orders come in to indicate poor interest - e.g. SelectaLink adapter cable that was binned from last year’s releases.

So this morning (Wednesday 06/01/2021), I was able to visit the Hornby website to view the 2021 range. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of models that I am interested in, which is disappointing for my wallet!  😆  😉  😀

Here are my highlights from this year's range:

• R1276M Summertime Train Set - I'm glad to see a second Hornby Coca-Cola train set. I am not to sure if I will buy the complete train set. An 0-4-0 locomotive is supplied that I do not like. Not sure if this will be added to my collection, but the rolling stock will be! I am sure an eBay seller will split this train set up when it arrives in stock. The flatbed containing the short Coca-Cola, Diet Coke and Cherry Coke containers and Diet Coke LWB Tanker I really like. I am glad to see other brands of The Coca-Cola Company being used, other than Coca-Cola.

• R3955 Coca-Cola, 0-4-0T Steam Engine - I am glad to see Hornby are expanding the Coca-Cola range, but I am not keen on these 0-4-0T locomotives much. Therefore, I haven't decided if I will buy this or not yet.

• R8160 Hornby 2021 Catalogue - The yearly classic that I buy one of each year, without fail! I will have to wait a number of weeks before I can purchase a copy, due to lockdown.

• R30050 BR, Bagnall 0-4-0DH, 01426 - I do really like these little Bagnall Shunters. If I remember correctly, in 2019 Hornby released one of these in the BR Green livery, which I own. It will be great to pick up this BR Blue livery one up as well and have one in each livery. I imagine this R30050 release will be a Hornby RailRoad model?

• R60012 Coca-Cola, Small Tank Wagon - I really like the look of this tanker and will be picking up at least one of them. It is a bit pricey for such an old tooling. That is inflation and licensing for you though.

• R60013 Coca-Cola, Refrigerator Van - I really like the look of this van and will be picking up at least one of them. Again, it is very pricey for such an old tooling. That is inflation and licensing for you though.

• R60016 Hornby 2021 Wagon - Another yearly classic that I buy one of each year, without fail! The trouble is that in the past five years, this is the third hopper wagon, which isn't a great selection of different wagons really. I also noticed that the image is the same as used for the R6880 Hornby 2018 Wagon, which are both HEA hopper wagons. Everything about the wagons are same, apart from the different year decals on the sides. Despite this, I will be picking the 2021 wagon up and I probably will pre-order it.

I hope everyone is staying safe.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Talking of prices, I haven't noticed anywhere the fact that VAT is supposed to be the European Union tax, and so it should have been abolished with Britains exit under Brexit ??!!

Admittedly only 5% went to Brussels & the Britsh Government creamed everyone for the other 15%. But dumping VAT would certainly make Hornby's latest so much more attractive........

The Duke 71000

Glad to see a definitive 9F.  Have a few older Hornby versions, including original 1971, Evening Star.  Often thought about buying Bachmann version, but always felt detail could be better.  Thank you, Hornby, for stepping up to plate.  Two are now on my pre-order list.

Hi all

An interesting load of stuff the one that really surprised me was the Rocket three packs more particularly the goods wagons.

I half expected the Rocket 3rd coaches.

Not sure what prompted the sudden rash of better four wheel coaches and the six wheelers but will certainly looking at the four wheel  brake and luggage coaches

regards John

Worse product is the new Tri-ang branded van, the fonts are wrong, the g of the word Tri-ang is wrong, the L for Lines Bros is wrong in the Triangle logo.   Very inaccurate

Could be that they hav not the copyright for the old Tri-ang logos etc anymore .

Well I for one am impressed by the 2021 range, I wasn't expecting them to be able to keep up last years high standard but they have out done themselves, I've already ordered two complete rakes of Mk4's to go with the class 91's I already have on order and the royal mail rocket set.