Why do I keep getting this error? [More Info Needed]

Guest Chrissaf

UPDATE

Hornby administration have noted the original "Why do I keep getting this error?" thread and require more information to aid tracking down the cause and fix resolution.

Will those who see this "An unexpected error occurred" error please provide the details listed below requested by Hornby. This includes the previous reporting members asked to 're-post' plus any new members reporting it for the first time.

1. What browser are you using?
  2. What computer / tablet / phone you are using and 'Operating System software & revision level?
  3. When and whereabouts do you get the error message - certain pages you click on or random. If always on a certain page, please state the URL of it?
  4. What type of post or post activity sees this error? New thread starter post or a reply post or an image post or editing a post or just viewing a post etc.

Anything else that would help us pin point the error message so we [Hornby] can raise this issue with the Developers and try to get it fixed, if it is a bug.

1. Safari
  2. iPad-Air iOS v12.5.2
  3. Any page where there is an embedded image. When I zoom the image for a closer look the page crashes with the message ... "This web page was reloaded because a problem occurred" - not that helpful unfortunately. The page does reload correctly to the original zoom level.
  4. Additional info - if I zoom a page without an embedded image (ignoring user avatars) it will zoom unconditionally without error.

"An unexpected error occurred" has just come up in attempting to come away from my posting in the General Discussion section regarding an HST train pack.

I am using an HP laptop, running Windows 10 with Google Chrome.

This used to be quite a frequent occurrence but it is the first time it has happened for quite some time (weeks).

1. Firefox
  2. Mac Catalina 10.15.7
  3. Login
  4. Again - hit <Back> and I am logged in anyway

I wonder if it might be related to using several devices to log in? I tend to use my iPad and the Mac at different times. I'll try to be more observant about that.

R-

At present there are 6 users reporting the bug, albeit on a variety of machines over 4 days [since the request for explicit information]. I’d give it a couple more days yet, and then a Mod. will fire the detail over to Hornby. R-

Browser..Chrome, windows 10 on huawei lap top, everytime I log in for the first time, when I then try to log in again...... I am logged in...!! This does not happen if I ignore the remember me button, which does not seem to do anything useful for me.

It is becoming evidently clear that in the main for those who have reported in so far, that the error relates to the 'log-in' page. With an indication that if the 'Remember Me' box is NOT ticked, that the error does not appear.

Could all check and confirm whether the error goes away if the 'Remember Me' check box is left unticked and blank.

Once the above is confirmed, then that will form the basis of a report back to Hornby for resolution. It should be noted that the issue of the 'Remember Me' function not working correctly has been previously reported, so it may be that this new issue has arisen as a result of some form of fix attempt being applied to that previously reported issue which obviously has not been successful.

Posting in this thread at moderator’s request (although it is an entirely separate bug to the ‘Remember Me’ one).

Mod note: This thread is specifically for the 'an unexpected error has occurred' error wherever it occurs on the forum - login page or any other page. This is clearly stated in the 'Discussion Starter Post on page 1 of this thread and repeated at the top of this page. This 'unexpected error has occurred' is the error you were reporting in the other duplicate thread. The reference in this thread relating to 'remember me' is just a 'side issue' to the main reported error. Thank you for re-posting ... the other post will be removed. PS - your link below opens correctly for me when I click it.

1 - Safari & Chrome browsers

2 - iPad Air (original version)

3 - There is currently a fault with the URL for the ‘What’s your latest acquisition?’ thread in the ‘General Discussion’ sub-forum:

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/whats-your-latest-aquistion?ccm_paging_p=458#end-of-replies

This thread only contains 457 pages - therefore manually correcting 458 to 457 results in the thread loading properly!

4 - General browsing

Have you tried clearing your Chrome cache G.S

As I said, the link in LT's post works for me as written.

1 - It happens in multiple Browsers - Firefox (88.0.1) on a Mac, Chrome (90.0.4430.93) on Windows 10, Edge (90.0.818.56) on Windows 10

2 - Macbook with 11.2.3 (Big Sur.) & Intel Based PC with Windows 10 (Build 19041.985)

3 - I see see it while logging in and after getting the error if I then go to the Hornby Main page I am correctly logged in

4 - Not specific to a making a post just the login attempt.

The 'login page' instance of this error has now been logged by Hornby with the developers and a 'ticket number' allocated to investigate the error and provide a resolution.