Class 31 TTS

JsionyRN

• 1 month later...

I had my new Hornby class 31 turn up today, and a class 31 TTS decoder. I installed the decoder and ran the loco in (using the default ‘3’ address) - sounded great, ran well. Left it for a few hours then tried to program a new address on my Select controller and the chip heated up to the point where it melted a section of the roof of the loco (not too bad thank goodness). I had put some tape loosely around the chip and stuck it to the inside of the roof of the loco to keep it out of the way. Anyway, the loco would run ok and the lights would work but no sound. Very disappointed as it sounded great, and I am annoyed at the damage to the loco - its small but I can’t unsee it. Not sure what happened to the chip in between running it in and programming the new address.

The decoder overheated likely because it was wrapped in tape and the body damage occurred because there was direct contact. TTS decoders are known to get warm.

However all is not lost as you can contact Hornby under the no-quibble warranty and ask for a replacement.

If you mean the all wheel drive 31 then that is a possibility. The RR model has bags of room as usual.

It looks as if I just laid the decoder in a sleeve on top of the pcb in mine. The fan drive was removed and the fan rotor glued to the roof to make room for the twin ESU speakers. Note body is wrong way round.

forum_image_617269567e488.thumb.png.0bfe153e8aced5678eae889472b20c22.png

I put my Decoders in Heat Shrink tubing, just shrunk down at the ends enough so that the Decoder cannot slide out. It can be removed if required, stops any shorts and allows the Decoder enough space so that it does not overheat. Don't use the type of Heat Shrink that contains an adhesive coating inside though.