Cutting Flexi Track

Brew Man

I've just started to build my new layout, (whoopee!) and am using wherever possible long lengths of Flexi. Up to now I've been cutting the track with my Dremel, which cuts extremely well but it's difficult to get the cut 90 deg to the vertical. This is due to the cutting wheel's diameter being less than the width of the Dremel's body, so it has to be raised slightly for the wheel to make contact with the rail and that creates an angle to the cut. So my question is, are razor saws suitable for cutting track, or are they only meant for plastics, card etc? I imagine they are fine but don't want to try it and find the teeth have all flattened in no time.

Thanks for any information.

Proper Xuron track cutters will leave one side of the cut almost perfect and the other side a bit squashed. Obviously you cut the track in such a way that the good side is on the piece of track that you are going to use and the squashed side on the unwanted piece. If the unwanted piece is long enough to be used, just cut off the damaged end ready for it to be reused.

I have used a razor saw successfully but it's not so easy. You need to hold the track firmly to stop the rails breaking out of the sleeper chairs as you cut. The teeth of the saw do become blunt after some time.

I have tried junior hacksaw route which is a bit similar to a razor saw but I found that the rail had to be held and it was impossible to cut it with the rail in position. Then I used the Dremel that worked a lot better, but not too accurate. After reading these pages I decided to use a Xuron after everyone said they worked. I must I was a bit apprehensive at first, I have seen tools like this snap before but I was surprised, it does work. You are right about it pinching the rail, so I normally clean it up with the Dremel or a needle file. It is also easier to get the length more accurate with the Xuron as you can do it with the track in situ.

Xuron cutters are the ones mentioned here the most Brew Man.

I don’t think I’ll be following GV’s advice anytime soon. He’s probably the type who never uses force when he’s doing repairs and maintenance to his fleet, just gets a bigger hammer.

I used to cut my track using a junior hacksaw may moons ago before I acquired a set of Xuron cutters. The main drawbacks with using a manual saw are it's laborious, arm aching and it requires more dressing with a file to tidy up the cut before fitting rails joiners, (fishplates). Also, it does tend to "eat" hacksaw blades.

Using Xuron cutters is a lot easier, quicker and produces a neater cut requiring less finishing off with a file. Personally I feel they are well worth every penny.

I've ordered a Xuron. GV's suggestion sounds much like cracking an egg with a sledge hammer joy.

@Corky

The cheapest I've seen those is about twice the price I'm paying for the Xuron, though they might be useful for other applications unrelated to railways.

That method could be a little heavy handed for 00 Gauge!

I have used a Dremmel with caberunom disk in 00 and it works well as you can also smooth any burrs off. I have also used a raisor saw in the past but this can snag unless you have a cutting jig.

However I find the most convenient is to use a Xuron track cutter (use with flush side closest to the rail you want to keep. You will also need a small "Swiss" or needle file to remove any burrs aklthough these will be minimul when the cutters are new.

To get the cut vertical with the Dremel, I angled the disc away from the bit of rail I was keeping and just ground it straight downwards. This left a straight edge on the bit that was to be kept and an angle on the waste.