Hornby P2

Ronald-362069

Same as the Thompson A2/3 class. If you search for them by catalogue R number, class name or locomotive name, any that are available are still there. If you look in the shop and try finding them under locomotive class / type, there is no link and they appear to be non existent.

Could it be that some out there don’t want a steam generating version?

I always thought that if a company says they’re going to build and release something, they have to do so. Saying “actually we aren’t going to release this one this one now” after two years of people waiting would look terrible. Plus they’ve probably already put money into it that they need to get back.

It depends DarkRedCape, we know they designed it, it was an article on the Hornby program. Perhaps it is as AndyMac says they don't have the capital to get it made. If the SS one gets released in the Spring (admittedly I doubt the timescale) which I assume will include a DCC Ready and DCC sound fitted, so why release the other one. I will be annoyed because I ordered it at the price two years ago, but who knows with Hornby. Perhaps "stitching" up their customers as well as their retailers is a step too far.

Yes 96RAF I had forgotten about that. They have released the Hornby Dublo Duchess, I got a phone call from Bure Valley on Saturday asking if I still wanted it and to take payment. So they have released some models this year but nowhere near what was promised in last years and this years catalogue. The thing that is really annoying to me is I slate Hornby about their business model, but generally their models they produce run brilliantly on my layout so they do get that right. Similarly the carriages do the same whereas a lot of the others derail a lot (the Genesis ones on my layout are terrible). I honestly don't know why they don't copy Dapol, make the goods wagons in the UK, most of theirs are relatively simple, so it gives them a reliable income.

The Hornby shop appears to be awash with P2's - but two are shown as "unavailable".

R3171 P2 2001 Cock O' the North

R3983 P2 2007 Prince of Wales - Unavailable

R3983SS P2 2007 Prince of Wales - With Steam generator

R3984 P2 2002 Earl of Marischal

R3985 P2 2003 Lord President - Unavailable

Does this mean that the "unavailable" models have completely sold out?

I have the R3985 on pre-order. I ordered it accidentally and just forgot to cancel the order.

Maybe as suggested, they’re going to try and slim down the range to just the SS version, and one or two others, so they’ve stopped taking orders for this one. Even though the R3985 seems to be the only one with the streamlined casing.

I have received communication from Hornby regarding the "unavailable" tag.

It is with regret that I report that Hornby misunderstood my question and simply did not define what the "unavailable" tag means.

They did inform me that the model (NOT THE P2) I had on preorder is arriving "next week", so there is that.

Bee

Edit: to spell communication properly.

Considering Hornby have outsourced both the website design and stock control (to two completely different companies) and also since their ‘allocations’ & ‘tiers’ methodologies/reasoning appear known only to a select few… it is perhaps not that surprising that customer facing staff either don’t possess (or are not in a position to divulge to customers) related information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Just notice this conversation and as I love P2 ( I have 4 of these, all different models, R3171, R3246TTS, R3207, R3440 Limited Edition with Gloss paint).

Anyway I just checked and R3171 is in stock for £127.49 in hornby shop.

• 2 weeks later...