HM7000 System

M. Matthews

I’m new to modelling after a stint of it in my youth. May be a silly question but can you solder the HM connecter and have it under the layout rather than on top direct onto the track?

Appreciate may be easier to ask HM direct but interested to hear others opinions

cheers

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon, the system can be seen as an alternative to Z21 but, rather than connecting a software system to a conventional DCC controller, this one goes directly to the decoders via Bluetooth and obviates the need for any controller hardware.

However, at this stage of its development, it is nowhere near as comprehensive as Z21 in what it can do, or what Railmaster can do for those using it.

And it only covers locos, yet to cover points and accessories. for these, Hornby is recommending their existing HM | DC HM6010 from the same developer (Hornby sensibly sub-contract all of this stuff, they haven’t developed in-house capability). Existing DCC users are likely to stick with their current PAC system, Hornby or otherwise.

I have a couple of questions regarding wiring a PSU directly to the track to power a HM7000 system.

Firstly, my current 3/4 circuit DC layout is controlled by two HM6000 units, each with its own P9100 15V 1A PSU. If I upgraded to HM DCC, could I wire the two P9100 units in parallel directly to the track to create a 15V 2A power supply? If so, how would the load be distributed?

Secondly, irrespective of the number of PSUs wired to the track, what protection is there against short circuits? As I understand it, if the App can detect a short circuit it can only cut power to the locos, not from the PSU. Do P9100 PSUs have some form of internal cut out to protect against short circuits? In a DC system, this would normally be incorporated in the controller.

Just my opinion.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but if you did, I would recommend feeding the positive outputs of both PSUs through a power diode. This would prevent the voltage / current from one controller feeding back into the output of the other and causing any damage. The same principle can be found in commercial equipment that have dual power supply capabilities, albeit with much more sophisticated circuitry. However, if one power supply output failed completely then the other power supply would take over the load, but the failed power supply wouldn't tell you it has failed (assuming that the failure doesn't create a bang and smoke along with a blown fuse).

I have the same concerns as you regarding short circuit monitoring. Granted a well designed power supply should be able to protect itself against a short circuit, but for how long. Would a short circuit left applied for an extended period of time eventually fail the power supply. A question I cannot answer. Particularly relevant as the Hornby PSUs do not have any indicator on them to confirm a short circuit condition. You as the user, would just see the locos stop and the track appear dead. But why, would be down to you to investigate further and perform diagnostic tests. Whereas the controllers give a positive short circuit indication.

As to how both power supplies split the load is less demonstrable. I would guess that due to manufacturing tolerances in the output stage of the power supply circuits. One or other would take the lead and supply slightly more current than the other, but I would also expect that the difference wouldn't be particularly significant and that the split for all intent and purpose would be 50/50. This assumes both power supplies are the same brand and model and have (on paper) the same specs.

I wonder how well it will work with non Hornby DCC Controllers I have the NCE Powercab and I wonder if the dongle with work with it. If I want app control on the NCE at the moment I have to buy a module that costs around £100.

As an existing TTS decoder user I like the new decoders you can choose the sound file and also the plug in speakers and stay alives.

Guess I will wait to see how things progress but a £40 outlay for dongle and free app does make it tempting.

Apparently according to the live Q&A session today they have stocks of the decoders but are waiting for the app before they will release them.

Although the decoders will work out of the box on DCC I suppose they don't want to confuse folk with the enclosed instructions asking to do this and do that with power supplies and download stuff via the app, etc whereupon confusion would reign.

With regard to which alien controllers the dongle will work with - it is not as simple as will it plug in because some controllers which support Xpressnet may not have an RJ12 socket but the dongle could be connected and should work by way of an interface adapter (likely have to be DIY) and some controllers with an RJ12 socket do not support Xpressnet. There is a lot of associated information here Learn about Digital Command Control - DCC - Open source (dccwiki.com)

On the same Q&A they said either month end or early Feb for the app.

There was supposed to be UAT by a small select group invited by Marketing before app launch but that required getting them kitted out with a decoder and a link to the app which has yet to happen.

There was supposed to be UAT by a small select group invited by Marketing before app launch but that required getting them kitted out with a decoder and a link to the app which has yet to happen.

Happy to be considered as a guinea pig for UAT if they need volunteers Rob.

Happy to be considered as a guinea pig for UAT if they need volunteers Rob.

I believe Marketing have already invited a short list. Likely the magazines and their favourite you-tubers.

I see one such celeb has discovered the holy grail of curing Blink Bonny slow running problems - remove the capacitor from the analogue train set track connecter, although he soldered his feeders direct to the track in lieu. This was after going through the usual CV fiddling, etc.

If we look at the OO sets the DCC variety comes with a power track with no capacitor. You don’t need both. It is easy to disconnect the capacitor in the OO hardware but probably a bit more difficult with the smaller TT version. It is all to do with suppressing interference from motor commutators so Hornby does what it has to do to meet the regulations. I am sure they would be quite happy to drop the capacitors if they could.

Interesting Rob. So the adaptor cable solves half the problem but do the digital sets now contain 2 power tracks or advice on how to convert the analog to DCC?

I may be wrong but as I understand the catalogue it is the power clip that is different not the track it clips to, so the digi sets will have the digi clip but folk converting from an analogue set will have to perform a capacitor removal on their dc clip or swap to a digi clip.

Yes, it is the power connectors that differ but I don’t think they use push-in clips anymore. It looked in one posting as if the power strips were micro-welded or otherwise attached to the track. I will try to remove the capacitor from my Easterner power rail and use it as a programming track when I get a HM7000 decoder.

Yes, it is the power connectors that differ but I don’t think they use push-in clips anymore. It looked in one posting as if the power strips were micro-welded or otherwise attached to the track. I will try to remove the capacitor from my Easterner power rail and use it as a programming track when I get a HM7000 decoder.

The app does not need a programming track. It reads and writes to the new decoders on the main.

You only need a programming track if you want to program the new decoders direct from a DCC controller.