Help with a Heljan Class 45

I’ve just bitten the bullet and decided to adopt HM-DCC as my preferred control choice.

To get things moving I bought two Sound Decoders. One is an 8 Pin and is already very successfully installed in my Vitrains Class 47. Excellent - I’m delighted with how easy it was to install a particularly how effective the chip manages the loco and the sounds.

HOWEVER, on trying to install my new 21 Pin decoder on my Heljan Class 45, I noted that the female connector on the decoder does not correctly align with the male pins on the loco. The ‘blank’ space on the decoder does not align with the missing pin on the loco regardless of which way I fit the decoder.

In short, it simply won’t fit.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with Heljan locos?

Are you perhaps trying to fit the decoder upside down? (This is probably unhelpful since you already mentioned trying the decoder in multiple orientations)

If you could post a picture of both socket & decoder we might be able to offer better assistance.

It is possible to fit the decoder wrongly orientated i.e. 180 degrees out and flipped inverted.

The general rule is if the loco has a plastic plug sticking up the the decoder fit flat side down. Careful observation of both the loco and decoder to match the blank pin should ensure success.

As requested post a close up picture of both the loco and the decoder and the forum will be able to advise.

Thanks for your advice/suggestion, but think I’ve solved the conundrum myself (eventually).

The Heljan indeed has the black plastic plug sticking up from the circuit board, so I installed the decoder flat side down (as you suggest above). While counter-intuitive, it seems to work successfully. In any event, its the only way it fits onto the pins.

Perhaps Hornby should take note and put some guidance on this issue in their literature.

So are you asking Hornby to put instructions in with their decoder telling you how to fit it into every other make of loco with a matching socket. That is a fairly unrealistic request and positively unlikely to happen any time soon. No other decoder manufacturer even tells you how to install their decoders. I suggest you contact Helmand and ask them to include instructions on how to fit a decoder.

I am not asking for anything.

The technology is attracting new DCC users and a simple generic video in line with the videos already released by HM/Hornby could show a typical installation in a typical locomotive. This might be all someone new to DCC needs.

Funnily enough I did contact Heljan a few months ago on DCC functions in a particular locomotive. They could not tell me anything. I’ll stop there.