Locos with pre-fitted speakers

M. Matthews

I have a Bachmann 94xx which I’m planning to give the TXS treatment. It has a pre-fitted speaker in it. I understand that I don’t need to fit the Hornby supplied speaker in this case?

Quite a lot of room can be created in this loco and I reckon I’d be able to fit the second speaker in, so would it be able to get a second speaker working at the same time? Or is this not recommended?

Cheers.

Just for info - Jenny Kirk has been doing some test fitting of the 21 pin TXS decoder to a whole host of locos (probably has put a video on YouTube to show the testing). So far she has not found a loco that it won’t fit and the decoder is exactly the same size as a Loksound v5.

From watching yet another YouTube vid I gather that I didn't need to order a dcc sound decoder 18 pin £69 to fit in a newly accquired Mallard as it already has a speaker. Indeed it had something fitted where the speaker goes but I thought that was some kind of dummy place holder. So I removed it and fitted the speaker that came with the dcc pack.

If this is the case (that it comes already with a speaker) what should I have orderd?

Many thanks,

Steve

if you have understood the YouTube clip correctly, this sounds like another example of people spouting nonsense.

You will always need a sound enabled decoder to produce sound from your loco, a non sound decoder won’t have the ability to store and process the data for sounds otherwise.

HM DCC sound decoders are sold with a sugar cube speaker and a selection of enclosures to amplify the sound. If a loco is pre-fitted with a speaker just fit the sound decoder.

in case of TT:120 locos that are currently available and sold individually, they all come with a pre-fitted speaker below the circuit board.

Currently all the available HM DCC decoders are sound enabled, the non sound versions are being released later in the year.

You bought the right decoder 👍

Yes it was 😁

The pre-fitted speakers in TT:120 ( I can’t say for OO) are very slightly different as they have contact pins that connect to two pads under the main circuit board hence the illusion there is no wiring and so no speaker.

The exception being the initial train set Blink Bonny (A1) and William Whitelaw (A4) that came with no pre-fitted speaker.

Just for info - Jenny Kirk has been doing some test fitting of the 21 pin TXS decoder to a whole host of locos (probably has put a video on YouTube to show the testing). So far she has not found a loco that it won’t fit and the decoder is exactly the same size as a Loksound v5.

Quite possibly but with the Next18 decoder she had the opposite result. No OO locos that it would fit in without modification (even though she modified one and called it success!). Funnily enough she fitted one in an N gauge diesel/electric. I think generally the non-NEM standard dimensions decoder will do better with non-steam locos as they have more room.

BTW totally understand the supply chain issues that caused the N18 to be oversized.

Here is Jenny's Next18 video

I started with The easterner, so that's where I'm probably getting confused. I thought I had do same with all the locos. So what sound decoder should I have ordered. I presume it's one that comes without a speaker? and is cheaper that £69 smackers grinning

Many thanks.

PS can I set this forum so I am notified when someone replies to me?

Steve

@steve

The forum has no facility to notify you of a response to your posts, nor any direct messaging system.

With regard to the decoder, if you want to use the app as control you only have the choice of the Hornby TXS sound decoder, which comes with a speaker kit. The price difference twixt with versus without a speaker at manufacturers level is pennies so you get the speaker anyhow. You will only find the decoder cheaper if any retailers are discounting them against profit margins.

If you want sound and only normal DCC operation then there are other make sound decoders in the Next18S format but a tad dearer than the Hornby TXS items.

Steve, below is a copy of the answer I gave to you the last time you asked this notification question (in your other thread relating to power & HM7020 lead).

"No, there is NO auto-notification of forum activity on this forum.

There is also NO 'Private Messaging' either on this forum.

This forum software is totally custom to Hornby and does not offer many of the features that are considered standard in 'off the shelf' forum software."

Steve, here is the link (sorry not clickable) to your other lost? thread.

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/hm7020-will-not-fit-transformer-mains-plug-354405?ccm_paging_p=1

The R7345 is the Next 18 decoder WITH TXS sound, hence it comes with an optional speaker (optional when the loco already has a factory fitted speaker that can be used instead).

Whereas the R7401 is the Next 18 Decoder that is NOT a sound TXS version. As it does not have any sound capability it does not need any speaker, audio amplifier or audio codec included with it and hence why it is slightly cheaper.

The R7401 does everything the R7345 does in terms of motor control EXCEPT Sound and some function limitations.

Note that the R7401 is currently 'pre-order' only.

I've noticed some Bachmann main PCB's have SP+ and SP- solder pad terminals but no pre-fitted speaker. Do these create an alternative way of connecting the Hornby supplied HM7000 speaker, i.e. instead of using the HM7000 decoder speaker plug/socket, solder the wires direct to the SP pads?