Request from Hornby : Rewards Development Ideas

RB51

Forum Moderators across those brands that have a forum community have been asked to gather members thoughts on the development of the Hornby Rewards Programme. This is with a view to enhancing the scheme generally and expanding it to include countries around the world where Hornby has a presence.

There are three current areas of particular interest as follows.

1. Types of rewards, beyond points and discounts, that would feel like a real coup
  2. Attractions, events or experiences that forum members already enjoy, which would be nice to get a discount at with HR membership
  3. Any reward partnerships that would feel like the wrong direction for our brands

Thoughts on these topics can be posted on this thread where they will be collated and forwarded to relevant personnel at Hornby.

Please be aware that not all ideas will necessarily become live, but please feel that you have free rein, wherever in the world you are – you may spark off another thought elsewhere.

R-

Purchasing a certain amount of each brand’s product, grants automatic subscription/renewal to that brand’s club membership.

Hornby could ‘market’ their (currently unofficial) policy of honouring/fixing preorder prices as a loyalty reward.

Maybe a monthly or quarterly opportunity to randomly get an entire order value refunded wholly in Reward points, or earn 50% rewards rather than usual accrual rate. Similar to a well known retailer where their loyalty scheme allows one customer to get their shopping for free in each store every week.

Without much outlay, encourages shopping on website and rather than refund, still encourages spending on website.

The purpose of the rewards program is to move merchandise. To induce purchases and generate cash flow.

Yet there are models which languish, sitting idle in the warehouse. These occasionally make it to the outlet store, at large discounts.

You got to move it, move it

Why not combine these two ideas? An additional Hornby Reward on models that need to be moved from the warehouse. An uptick in the reward as a function of the model to be moved.

A reward tier for those models Hornby Marketing wishes to enhance sales.

Bee

To clarify my concept.

Look at the Bassett Lowke locomotives in the Outlet Shop. They continue to languish, even at ½ price.

Suppose there was a Move it, Move it sticker offering an additional 200 reward points. Would that be enough? How about 500 reward points? Maybe 1000 reward points will work. Various tiers, with the objective to move a slow item.

This benefits both Hornby AND the consumer. Hornby makes a sale of an unpopular item, and induces a sale of a future item. The consumer gets a Bassett Lowke loco (to continue the example) at a discount and a few points towards a future sale.

Now that is a win win.

Bee

When we had our retail businesses, accountants wanted stock turned 3 times a year. That was industry standard. Obviously Hornby, are not doing that, Steam Punk proving the point. I am all in favour of any incentives, but to date have seen nothing that would tempt me. I accept I am a mature owner, but with the way prices are going, we are the main customers. I like the Bee idea.

The ability to pay off, or reduce the cost of existing pre-orders with accumulated reward points. So I could go into my orders page, then on any order, and option would allow you to add the reward points. Be it just adding a small amount, or paying off the balance in full.

1. Types of rewards, beyond points and discounts, that would feel like a real coup

Hornby website prices are in general higher than the exact same item at a stockist. The rationale is that a consumer's item is guaranteed from Hornby, not from the stockist. The rationale is that your price at Hornby is guaranteed for a pre-order, not at a stockist. The inducement to order from Hornby, even at a higher price, is surety of getting the item at the price you ordered it for. FOMO [fear of missing out] drives sales to Hornby.

Points may reduce the price of an item to below that of a stockist, but it may not.

If you want the rewards program to feel extraordinary to a consumer, combine the two concepts.

Guaranteed item, at a price BELOW what I can expect to get it for at a stockist, but only when I pay for it, or pre-order it, with points.

Surely Hornby have an idea what discounts stockists give. Exceed that discount, but only when you pay in points.

Bee

2. Attractions, Events and Experiences

This is fine for UK consumers, but what of EU and ROW?

There is one experience I see discussed here in the forum which I would like to experience, but cannot: TV programs. I see the lads discussing the programs, but alas, they are out of reach for EU & ROW.

Perhaps offer a CD of the past season, but only can be purchased with points!

Bee

An alternative to Bee’s excellent suggestion (of increasing the reward points gained from Outlet purchases) - increase the redeemable value of reward points (already earned) specifically on Outlet items.

I have no idea if either suggestion is more or less viable?

At Hornby’s request this sticky thread will become ‘unstuck’ at the end of this month. It will still be available to view and add to but it will drop down the page. R-

Before the thread gets lost in others, my thoughts on tie-ups and incentives would be:

• extend the work with Scalescenes (as in the recent TT magazine) with exclusive or discounted card kit downloads available with rewards
  • given the number of new/returning modellers brought by TT & HM7000, tie up with a baseboard manufacturer and other suppliers such as Scale Model Scenery to provide discounts or incentives on orders
  • use points for discounted magazine subscriptions
  • collaborate with the big railway modelling event organisers to arrange early-bird or late show access
  • take a leaf out of Lego’s book and offer things like sweepstakes for a model or model bundles with entry paid for by points (e.g. 200 points gets one entry, 500 gets three entries)
  • use points to unlock additional content in the website - exclusive or early access to behind the scenes videos
  • use points for truly next day shipping (e.g. 1000 points (£10) guarantees delivery next working day and Saturdays if order is placed before noon) - delivery is currently a frustrating lottery

Also please align existing member offers across both clubs!

Just to advise, this thread will become “unstuck” on Wed 31 May. It will still be viewable and you will still be able to post to it, it will just slowly slip down the rankings. R-

Have Hornby ever done gift cards? Maybe they could be issued in the form of Reward Points that can be added to a user’s balance, similar to having top-up cards.

Also, while I know there is a (somewhat limited) facility to share individual products, I wonder if Hornby could make wishlists shareable somehow? 

With TT120 only available for purchase online via their website, those lucky enough to have generous friends or family might find being able to share wishlists useful.

I’m not suggesting Amazon or wedding list functionality here, where people can buy products as gifts and they then get hidden so that recipients don’t receive 13 identical sets of tea towels, but just the ability to share/export a wishlist would avoid any mistakes (e.g. a OO scale model bought as a gift instead of TT).

Yes screenshots would be a workaround, but they won’t include weblinks.

(Note - This post is copied & amended from a website/forum feedback thread.)

Mod. Edit: which has been deleted.

Option for friends/family to buy hobby points. Modelling in TT:120 means that there is little in stores that would be relevant so I warn not to buy as it will be the wrong scale. As there is a TT club discount it is better value for the member to place the order, then use either cash or points to fund the purchase.

If Hornby are interested in the customer experience then the delivery issue really need serious attention as it’s dire!

How about a reward points card, with extra points if you shop at a bricks and mortar shop. Extra points when you buy a travel ticket on a preserved railway.

Extra reward points when you visit a toy and train fair and exhibitions if you buy a brand new Hornby product off a trader. Proof of show/event entry code on your ticket, reward card id and barcode of product need entering into software on this website (product would have to have been produced and supplied in the current year of manufacture.)

VIP tour of old factory and Hornby itself at Margate as a reward for collecting a certain amount of points. Visit will be at a time and date of Hornby's choosing. A limited edition wagon and welcome pack that is only available for these VIP visits is given to you when you arrive.

A tie up with other visitor attractions such as theme parks etc., so you can spend Hornby reward points with them.

JJ's recent request about what to do with 23 rewards points gave me an idea.

Charitable Contribution to the Railway Museum.

If Hornby permitted us to make them into a monetary donation to the museum, the goodwill created will more than compensate Hornby. It benefits the Museum. It benefits Hornby. It gives us a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sure, 23 points is a small amount. But each penny helps.

Bee

I also think Hornby should look into incorporating their 'dealerships' - local hobby stores - instead of alienating them.

That way, even if indirectly, there could be developed and consistent growth, plus local support for modellers who don't trust the postal system.

Just a thought.

Al.

• 1 month later...

As a member the benefits need to be worth something.

Membership = 15% on all purchases online AND pre orders

Membership = 20% discount in person at the HVC or an official Hornby outlet/retailer

Membership = A "steal" deal on club models, not some crappy loco.

Membership = £1.50 for Tea and Coffee at the HVC!

I have quite a few thousand reward points, but do not know what to spend them on as most of my purchases are pre order. Assume the points can be spent across brands?