DCC running post-upload of new v.2 sound profiles

Pendragon Sailing

Here’s a curious thing.

I’ve been busily uploading the new v.2 profiles into my fleet of 15 HMDCC fitted locos, but having done so, a few of them (not all) will no longer respond to DCC running on my Digitrax system. I’ve checked all the obvious things, but I can’t discover why this has happened.

All the uploads have been successful and all work perfectly on Bluetooth, but when I throw the switch to DCC in the App (IOS) they don’t respond to any commands from the Digitrax controller…….all very odd when they were all doing so perfectly under v.1 profiles.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

I had something similar yesterday. Downloading the new profiles appeared not to overwrite the DCC address in CV1, even though the other CVs were reset to the defaults for the profile, so the locos still worked under DCC - except in one case out of 4, where the DCC didn't respond and I think I fixed this by resetting the DCC address in the app. Very strange.

Regards, John

Does ‘all the obvious things’ include using the Digitrax to manually re-assign the DCC address? (and manually change CV12 for DCC control?)

As previously mentioned in other threads installing profiles should reset the DCC address to 3 - however sometimes the app can continue to display the previously chosen address (refreshing in app adv cv editor should also resolve these display inconsistencies.)

Does ‘all the obvious things’ include using the Digitrax to manually re-assign the DCC address? (and manually change CV12 for DCC control?)
As previously mentioned in other threads installing profiles should reset the DCC address to 3 - however sometimes the app can continue to display the previously chosen address (refreshing in app adv cv editor should also resolve these display inconsistencies.)

Thanks LT,

I haven’t tried using the Digtrax to manually reassign the DCC address, but will try it. I did note that the reinstallation did seem to reset CV 29 to 2 (and thereby losing the Long Address) but I then reset CV17 & CV18 with the appropriate settings and then adjusted CV29 =34, but still no DCC control……its all very odd.

I’ll keep tinkering

When you reload a profile it effectively resets the decoder, putting the DCC address back to 3, same as writing value 8 to CV8 in DCC. Hence after a reload and despite the old address showing in loco settings, you have to over type the address again to be able to use it on DCC. It pays to re synch the CVs in the Adv CV editor as well.

When you reload a profile it effectively resets the decoder, putting the DCC address back to 3, same as writing value 8 to CV8 in DCC. Hence after a reload and despite the old address showing in loco settings, you have to over type the address again to be able to use it on DCC. It pays to re synch the CVs in the Adv CV editor as well.

Thanks Rob.

I did all of that, but to no avail (yet).

As I say, I’ll keep trying to figure out what’s happened. The curious thing is that its only occurred on some of my up-profiled locos. All very odd 🤷🏼‍♂️

That’s odd Dragon as when you over type a long address it writes the correct values to CVS 17/18 and 29. That is one of my checks to see if the address has taken. If I see 192/100 in CVs 17/18 then I know that is still default long address 100 and CV29 will confirm if that is in use or not.

Can you please make note of which new profiles they are and the team will load them up and check again.

Just my opinion, but applying logical thought. I would think that it would be very unlikely to be V2 at this time.

V2 Profiles were only released in the last couple of days. So anything in the current delivery chain would have been shipped from the factory weeks ago.

I would only expect things manufactured as of now to have V2 Profiles and these could take weeks to filter through the delivery chain and appear as orderable items from sellers & retailers. And that assumes that there are plans to run another manufacturing batch.

I can't see the Hornby Warehouse opening every sealed loco fitted box and applying an update and then resealing it, too much effort and time cost involved, particularly as that is potentially a task that can be done at home by the owner via the APP. Thus there is no urgency or incentive for Hornby to do it.

That’s odd Dragon as when you over type a long address it writes the correct values to CVS 17/18 and 29. That is one of my checks to see if the address has taken. If I see 192/100 in CVs 17/18 then I know that is still default long address 100 and CV29 will confirm if that is in use or not.
Can you please make note of which new profiles they are and the team will load them up and check again.

I’ll do that Rob…..I’m going to go through them all again over the weekend and see if I can work out what’s gone/going wrong.

Stand by….

Hi Rob

I’ve now undertaken some further tests on this DCC anomaly.

There’s no doubt it has something to do with the Long Addresses not sticking, after input on the Loco Data screen in the App.

What’s strange is that it does not happen when a Short Addresses is input.

My DCC control uses a Digitrax DCS210+ with a DT602 Controller.

To test things methodically, I’ve undertaken the following steps:

1. Uploaded the new sound profile.
  2. Checked that it runs successfully under Bluetooth mode.
  3. Entered a Long Address in the Data Screen and checked that CVs 17 & 18 have been altered accordingly.
  4. Checked that CV29 has the Long Address byte enabled (+32)
  5. Powercycled the loco.
  6. Refreshed the CVs in the App……BUT CV18 always defaults back to 100
  7. Switched to DCC mode using the Long Address……NO RESPONSE.
  8. Switch back to Bluetooth, everything fine again.

The offending profiles that I have tested thus far are:

Class 56 SD042

Class 47 SD043

Class 43 HST SD004

Separately, I’ve noted another anomaly on the DCC running of some of the Steam Profiles. In this case, while the loco runs fine and most of the sounds work, there’s no Chuffing sound to be heard on:

S15. SD021

A1 Tornado SD010

Ultimately this is not too much of an issue for me as I normally run all of my HMDCC-fitted locos on Bluetooth and the non-HMDCC on the Digitrax system, but clearly it may be an issue for others.

Perhaps the Hornby team could investigate this further?

This sounds like a continuation of the problem reported from the start of HM7K that some CVs won't write over from the app. It was first identified on CV29 which includes long address functionality. It manifested itself by the loco not responding on DCC even though the long address was showing on the app.

The developers are trying to design a fix but it has been described as 'tricky'.

The solution is to programme affected CVs via a legacy controller.

This sounds like a continuation of the problem reported from the start of HM7K that some CVs won't write over from the app. It was first identified on CV29 which includes long address functionality. It manifested itself by the loco not responding on DCC even though the long address was showing on the app.
The developers are trying to design a fix but it has been described as 'tricky'.
The solution is to programme affected CVs via a legacy controller.

Ah, right you are Steve……wasn’t aware of this. I’ll see if programming using my Digitrax controller will fix the issues I’ve encountered and then report back 👍🏼

The test team identified this issue fairly early on and as I said, the developer is investigating a fix.

Its my only real bugbear with the system if I am honest but it’s not a showstopper as I tend to run my locos from the app where it makes little or no difference.

However, before I started using the app, I was one of the ‘Luddite Fraternity’ and intended to grudgingly use the app to programme the sounds and then run everything in legacy DCC mode.

If I had stuck with that plan it may have been more of an issue but after only a few minutes under app control I was converted and plan to run everything from the app - just need a dongle to test to make that part of the plan work.

Thanks Dragon - I will report those profiles back to the team for investigation.

Ref the no chuff problem, have a look to see if F20 (chuffing/coasting) is on. Even if the icon is not lit, try cycling it a couple of times. Folk are reporting odd goings on whereby certain random functions have been found on after the v2.0 update without indication, making it necessary to cycle each function to kill the sound, especially it is not an obviously recognisable noise.

Yes Steve, that seems to have fixed the issue.

I’ve set CVs 17, 18 & 29 using POM on the Digitrax and the Long Addresses have now stuck, and all running fine.

Strange that I’ve not encountered the issue before now.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on this issue. Hopefully the devs will find a solution to this in due course as its the only glitch in what is an excellent system imo. 😃👍🏼

Thanks Rob
As you see from my post that crossed with yours, I’ve resolved the problem by using DCC programming to set the relevant CVs. All working now.
On the Chuffing matter, all noted. I’ll try your suggestion.

I have noted to the team that a direct DCC write sticks, just the app write across is awry.