Peco Wagon

Trevor-353714

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Are these in kit form or ready to run?

They are ready to run. Just the same as the Hornby wagons. The Peco models appear to be permanently mounted to the chassis, so it’s not easy to see how to disassemble them (Hornby have screw mounted bodies)

Not an unqualified review though.

Noting the comment about bowing wagon sides it did make me wonder if Peco were using the same cellulose acetate plastic for the body that Tri-ang used in the early 1950’s.

Would be interesting to see if this gets worse as the wagons age.

Those who know what I am referring to Tri-ang wise will know exactly what I mean! Sets were even sold with contents in this condition as they were produced months in advance of Xmas and the bowing occurred whilst they were stocked at the retailers prior to being sold as Xmas presents.

Fact is kids and parents were not to bothered about appearance as long as they had a train set and it worked! And Tri-ang sets were almost half the price of Hornby at the time and had 2 rails rather than 3 so looked proper.

Notwithstanding this nice wagons from Peco though and I will be ordering a few.

Great little wagons - and a first for UK TT is having a very natural direct comparison. Each has its own pros and cons. Hornby is a finer model, done to a better sophistication I reckon, however they are noticeably more expensive and less free rolling. This could really matter when the small TT locos are trying to pull a large rake, especially on any kind of incline.

Also, and I should have mentioned this in the review, the Hornby wagon has by far the better underside detail.

Either way - brilliant to have a second (more major) manufacturer on board.

Also, and I should have mentioned this in the review, the Hornby wagon has by far the better underside detail.

You can’t see underside detail when the wagon is on the track. I wonder how much cheaper the wagons could have been had the underside of the wagon been plain.

I would prefer to pay £3 less and not have underside detail but that is me. However Simon Kohler stated that TT:120 would never have a Railroad range. It might happen though in 10 years time to monetise older TT:120 tooling.

Just wish Hornby had offered an appropriate loco at launch to haul the freight rolling stock from any manufacturer.

Seems that on whole Peco wagons have been well received, not really anything currently in their range I would want and the coupling issue doesn’t fill me with a lot of confidence as I do like shunting and marshalling operations.

Hopefully both brands will continue to tweak their products to engineer out any issues. I know the draggy running of the 12t tankers is a pain, but the vent vans run free as you like. The underside detail is astounding from Hornby, even the concealed springs behind the buffers is moulded! It’s great but as pointed out, in use, never to be seen, I would really prioritise superb running. The tooling is the tooling so any ‘budget’ models will always still use the detailed tooling as it’s already made.

Anyone concerned about running freight behind a Pacific only needs to check the archives, happened all the time, even the odd coal train although Pacifics were not best suited to these ultra heavy trains, it would happen 😁