Club mag late again

Ged_K

Thanks John,

Interesting to note that the EU 66s will have "rubber wheels" which, presumably means traction tyres?

The Duchess is an updated version compared to that in the previous Train Terminal. I don't know if that's the version that was at Warley - I didn't take much notice - but this one has (rather thick) smoke reflectors.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the vendors? Are they middlemen between Hornby and the manufacturers?
Where can I buy the EU version of the class 66 and why does it have rubber wheels while the UK version doesn't have them?

‘Vendor’ usually means manufacturer in this context. So the company that is producing the moulds and manufacturing the models is the vendor.

The EU version will be sold through the Arnold website (accessible via the tab menu at the top of the Hornby site). Last months Train Terminal update showed the parts for the class 66 including both Hornby and Arnold branded fuel tanks. You will get Hornby points on your Arnold purchase if you are a club member.

Rubber wheels means traction tyres (very popular and common on European locomotive models). They’ve never been popular in the UK market so our versions don’t have them.

@SMR, I would take rubber wheels to mean traction tyres which are common place on European model locos, and looking at many continental layouts, many do feature quite steep gradients. Anyone with a UK modelcould swap to a traction tyre type wheel set.

The pre production samples of Duchess has a lot of 3D printed parts on so I would expect the production version to be much finer in the mouldings. All current models have superb levels of refinement, I don’t think they would go chunky on us now 😁

Thank you John.

I have no idea how my post was sent out three times. I've not started on the Christmas sherry yet.

My Hornby-Dublo 2-rail Bo-Bo diesel has rubber tyres which have to be replaced when they stretch after prolonged use. I'd not used it for a number of decades but it did run when I got it out during lockdown. My impression was that rubber tyres are used for traction when the wheel diameter is small. The other replaceable parts are the brushes used to transfer current to the rotating ??.

Yes I saw the note about the EU versions of the 66 having traction tyres. Good, I'd much rather have them fitted if possible.

I've always felt disappointed that the Hornby TT:120 locos so far don't have them, they make such a difference with my European N locos. I was fitting an HM7000 decoder to my WW A4 last night, and noticing the slight slippage and lack of grip just testing it on its own. I'm sure some of my N locos would easily win a tug-o-war against it :)

Bit of a filler issue - apart from your section of course Peachy! Great work on the A4 - and no follow up on this from the previous issue unless I missed it in my quick read?

"This issue’s news pages have more details about when the first of the smaller steam locomotives will be released. Also, next issue we will have news of an additional type not previously announced." & "In response to demand from modellers, Hornby will also be announcing several additions to its proposed 2024 range. A need for 0-6-0T locomotives for use on goods trains and also to allow operation of end-to- end layouts, is to be addressed with a brand new tank locomotive - details will be revealed next issue."

If it slipped or plans changed, I'd have expected at least an update to that effect?

Yes it’s certainly an underwhelming issue (with a few small exceptions of mentions of some of our forum stalwarts) and I note that they’ve merged the winter and autumn issues, so some club members will only receive 3 issues and can feel aggrieved that they received very little of what they were promised. By the time any new models are announced, it will have been 18 months since the launch. So much, too, for the club exclusives we were promised with our original club membership.

I note that the TTA wagons have apparently “shipped” (in their world this presumably means they’ve left China in a container - while many customers would probably interpret that term as being actually on their way to them from Hornby). With the major shipping lines diverting vessels away from the Red Sea due to the conflict in the Middle East, I imagine these models won’t arrive at Hornby until mid-January.

My TT models have been packed away since early October and I’m seriously considering cancelling my pre-orders. I really can’t justify the cost even if I am “saving money” with the club discount.

I thought it was a good read with some interesting detail in. Was Peachy in it?…. can’t say I noticed 🤣. Some good stuff Chris and I am very pleased that you covered the negativity issue so well. I think the majority here are interested in seeing people have model railway based fun and find answers to problems rather than flinging muck to get clicks.

Perhaps the thread title should be altered to ‘out now’?

The long article on the class 50 is excellent. I now understand the reasoning behind the launch liveries, they share same detailing where as the initial outshopped livery has quite different detailing.

Sounds like the plan is now for some of the announced new models to start arriving towards end of Jan through to summer and in April we will hear of next phase models planned

No sign of the 0-6-0 tank engine announcement promised in the last issue. That’s a real shame, seems like all the exciting announcements are delayed until spring?

I notice the winter issue of the magazine has really badly compressed images too, the pictures are noticeably grainy and pixellated.

John, might be worth looking at your settings, my version is very high definition, as good as any magazine.

I had been told some bits a while back and that plan appears to have been revised. Re-timing of magazines to coincide with announcements suggests a plan has now been put together.

I don’t think it’s a settings thing. I can view issues 1-4 no problem, it’s just issue 5 that is compressed.

Looking at the file sizes #5 is only 5mb instead of the usual 20mb so I suspect it’s simply been exported with the wrong settings.