Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

Toying with the idea of adding the DB 66 to my large logo order.

Dont really want more than one of each loco but that will probably go out of the window when the 37s arrive!!

What the **** it’s only money

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moccasin said:

would be nice to see the club magazine too! 😀

If its like the Autumn one it will turn up with the Summer one lol... 🙂  Hopefully it will be made available this week. 

I originally ordered an Eddy, because I love the look, but then decided to base my layout in South East London / Kent. Don't think any 50's made it round to this side of Waterloo, so bit out of place. But in the end I decided to charge my order to a Leviathan as it passes a cursory inspection, is also handsome and I think my 08's are getting lonely. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

@Silver Fox 17, I know it’s not an issue to you, I don’t think 50 ever came out in green did it? Only info I can find was early Blue livery and that’s why I am waiting. 

As far as I know they were introduced in 67, (and only in blue), so in the steam era but unlikely seen alongside a steam loco. The green one was done many years later so mixing the two together under rule 1 gives me a "BR green" diesel to run on my layout. I dont like full yellow ends which is why I will try to paint them out around the windows. 

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

After seeing both last week I've added the Sir Edward Elgar to the Leviathan order. Both are in DC, I've decided that the green will be passenger only with 4 x Mk2f in era 8 livery and the other will be more for freight. I know they can do both but in my mind that's how I justify having both and not just one. 

Edited by Tim Allen
Added Sir to Sir Edward Elgar
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

After seeing both last week I've added the Sir Edward Elgar to the Leviathan order. Both are in DC, I've decided that the green will be passenger only with 4 x Mk2f in era 8 livery and the other will be more for freight. I know they can do both but in my mind that's how I justify having both and not just one. 

The Elgar was a "celebrity" locomotive. As a celebration of GWR's history, trainspotters were delighted to see it in its heritage livery. It was the talk of the town when it was revealed. Keeping it on passenger service where it can be appreciated is good storytelling!

There were also Class 47s redecorated in the same livery for the GWR anniversary celebrations. Once the Class 47 is released, perhaps Hornby will let you get the entire anniversary collection! 

I've been considering the Leviathan. It's beautiful, and I do love that livery. I've determined that it was in the Eastern Region in the summer of 1981 for its conversion into Big Logo and internal overhaul. That's around the time I've been thinking of setting things up. I was inclined to maybe push things to the 1982/1983 time frame, so then I could make use of the BR Railfreight wagons. Class 50s were pressed into service on the ECML, but only before being sent back to their depot on Cross Country Service. So, it would be a brief window where it would make sense. 

Decisions decisions...

Edited by Generic Hornby Username
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, GMD said:

Be interesting to know what 50s have you all got ordered? I've gone with the BR Blue with sound, Leviathan.

Elgar is my class 50 choice and mine too will be pulling mk2 blue grey coaches although network south east ones would be fantastic 

Just checked the website and the current release date (subject to change) is the 17th May. This includes:

Era 7 BR Blue Class 50 (DC & DCC)

Era 8 BR Green Class 50 (DC & DCC)

Era 7 BR Mk2f Coaches 

Era 8 BR Mk2f Coaches

The HAA Hopper wagons are now June.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

@Silver Fox 17, if a Deltic doesn't fit, you could consider a DP2 body if such a thing exists — it was used regularly on the Eastern Region until its unfortunate demise at Thirsk in 1967, and was of course the prototype for what became class 50.

I saw DP2 many times in operation, and when sheeted over in York sheds after the accident but it does not appeal to me.

The problem I can see will probably be the 3D printed material thickness fitting over a chassis.  If it wont fit I can always sell it on.

May is already an expensive month for me with the expected arrival of 5 x Mk2fs. A class 50 will have to wait a little longer, my preferred choice is Sir Edward Elgar.

3 hours ago, Postman On The Rails said:

I have all my pre-orders on a spreadsheet, this month is my Class 50 Leviathan and 3 LMS 57’ Wagons, considering the Mark 2f for Leviathan but not made my mind up yet

lol same here! I have them grouped by expected dates. I’ve got the era 8 mk2f’s for the class 50.

• Like 1

Ahead of the upcoming Class 50 releases, I have uploaded a preview video of the Class 50s, trying to gather all available info to date. The link is here. If I have missed anything, I would greatly appreciate you knowledgable folks letting me know!

• Like 5