Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

Personally watching these dates seems like an exercise in frustration. I’m quite happy with the quarters system to set my expectations. Anticipation is often the most exciting part. It’s only a couple of months ago that the class 43s were the new shiny thing. 

I really don’t think putting specific dates in the club magazine was a smart move. We all understand supply chain and production issues so let the release dates reflect that fuzziness. All my personal opinion of course. 

• Like 4

Yes I think they made a rod for their own back with such specific dates in the magazine. Even when they do arrive, order fulfilment seems random so we could be 2 weeks away from receiving them. 

• Like 1

I doubt many people really mind that much about the release dates and I think that the 'date watching' and talking about it as it nears, is just people sharing some excitement around the new products coming out.

A quarters release system is good.  I have cancelled pre-orders after realising how much money I totted up by a click here and click there and worrying about them all coming in on the sdame boat.  Hoever, i don't think for a minute that I have been alone with this issue.

I have been enjoying the building excitement and finding out that Irishmail has a serious addition to class 50 locomotive models.   I am sure we will findout that Irishrail plans to a model of each of the 50 that were in the class! 🙂 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Here is a selection of my 00 scale class 50's.  It would  be nice  to  have one of each  of all the  50's.   

Maybe  should have  chose Deltic's  as  there were  only  22 of them  or  23  including  the  prototype. 😀424661225_797151202445495_5641228502852752721_n.jpg.13fd323d3e1e88382dcd6019f2426d1b.jpg425312565_797151199112162_6974341111253225466_n.jpg.a9a0c711e81dd6d036e4929897222013.jpg

Edited by Irishmail
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Here is a selection of my 00 scale class 50's.  It would  be nice  to  have one ofMaybe  should have  chose Deltic's  as  there were  only  22 of them  or  23  including  the  prototype. 😀

Could have been worse, there were 500+ 47s….

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Apologies everyone. I just realized why Hornby is delaying the release of the class 50s. They sent me a $50 discount code that is valid for 10 days last Friday and they don’t want me to be able to use it on the 50s. Don’t worry I sent them an email promising I have no interest in the 50s and will not buy them using the discount. You should be good by tomorrow. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

No idea if its the modern equivalent to reading the tea leaves or not, but the website seems to have removed the “Expected Spring 2024” banner from the 50s, though they are still showing as pre-orders…

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, GMD said:

No idea if its the modern equivalent to reading the tea leaves or not, but the website seems to have removed the “Expected Spring 2024” banner from the 50s, though they are still showing as pre-orders…

That’s what happened with the HST and Mk3s just before they were released. 

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moccasin said:

Yes I think that was the precursor to emails going out so it's a sign that the metadata has been reliable in this case. I presume it means the shipment has been received.

What do you mean reliable in this case? It has had 3 different dates this month lol.

It can always be made reliable by changing the date daily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean that the metadata has said they'll arrive this week for a while, and today for he past week or so. Given that the shipment has come by sea from China which takes many weeks and the precise arrival data of the vessel is uncertain, unloading and the passage through customs subject to other influences , the changes in metadata seem representative of those changes.

Obviously the dates can change however the changes indicate there is progress - a fine tuning as the big day approaches.

I'm more concerned by those things that are imminent but never get the ETA tweaked - 57' Stanier's for example. The LMS variant has been updated on many occasions however the BR Era 4 & 5's have rigidly stuck to 30th May almost as if they are forgotten which makes me a little suspicious 🙂 

• Like 1

I would add that the Mk2Fs are showing the same change to just "pre-order" with no date of arrival, so will also be heading to despatch imminently.

1 minute ago, PeterM67 said:

I'm more concerned by those things that are imminent but never get the ETA tweaked - 57' Stanier's for example. The LMS variant has been updated on many occasions however the BR Era 4 & 5's have rigidly stuck to 30th May almost as if they are forgotten which makes me a little suspicious 🙂 

I wonder if they've been held back due to the issues with scraping wheels?