What’s happened now!

@Dominic Thomas 

• on the screen headed ‘Hornby Hobbies’ click ‘3 horizontal lines button’ (top right)

or

• on the screen headed ‘Airfix’ click ‘Menu’ (2nd thing down from Top Left)

Both of those bring up same menu -> choose ‘Airfix’ & then ‘Gallery’

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rog RJ said:

Just click on the "unread content" link at the top & bottom  of the page.  Not perfect but it's easy.

Do that and you get unread content from ALL the forums. If you just want to see what’s in the Airfix forum, that’s not ideal.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, RB51 said:

It is possible to create your own stream of interest.

Even that doesn’t seem to let me just view Airfix content. Specific topics, galleries, yes. A whole sub-forum? Nope.

Belay that! I have found how to clumsily limit the views. Still not ideal, though.

Edited by Heather Kavanagh
  • Like 2

I check the forums less now....

For a new modeller, browsing threads was very informative and inspiring. But now I find myself searching the net, which I have to say...never returns anything from Airfix.

Thanks for saving me time (whoever thought it was a good idea to change things).

2 hours ago, Heather Kavanagh said:

I have found how to clumsily limit the views. Still not ideal, though

Tell us @Heather Kavanagh what is wrong with what you see. We can only ask.

Change was largely brought about @Matt-1333357 for business reasons required by Hornby and there were several functionality problems with the last iteration, never mind the two before that.

R-

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RB51 said:

We can only ask.

First, let me say I’m not unhappy about the forum updates. It’s using the same underpinnings now as Britmodeller, so I find it very familiar overall. It’s also leagues ahead of the old forum, so that’s good.

The issues are mainly down to the way it’s been integrated into the wider HH web site. I consider it still a work in progress, with a few dead links and orphaned pages.

When I get a minute, I’ll make some screen grabs and explain why I find it a bit clumsy.

Edited by Heather Kavanagh
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have found a way of viewing that suits me by just giving the Airfix topics. 

From the main entry page :

IMG_5522.thumb.png.56eb721462fdb7e5c7f6527d899e61d2.png

I hit the Airfix logo which takes me to the introductory page for the Airfix site :

IMG_5523.thumb.png.b8339707da18fe403945e238be176732.png

unfortunately on this page the is no way to specify a list of Airfix topics in a way that shows the latest or last entries for each topic. 
I therefore scroll down to find a suitable latest aircraft topic entry and then open that. 
Now, I can return to the list of Airfix, Scalextric, etc where I can close all but the Airfix site, as follows :

IMG_5521.thumb.png.acd40b10d7718dec534ca7d304299f59.png

by keeping this page open in my browser, I can always see what the latest entries have been by topic. 
It’s a workaround but it suits me. 
Note, all this is done on an iPhone. 

Edited by Dominic Thomas
  • Like 2

thats pretty much what I have to do now.  Keep that page open and refresh when I want to see updates.  Anything sub-topic thats bold gets a ctrl-click to open in another page.  scroll to bottom, mark as read. flip to the tables I've opened and see what to read, closing tabs as I go.

not ideal but what can we do, we are the minority on here.

If we could restrict the "unread topics" button to specific brands that would solve it.

Posted (edited)

On mobile devices - for those interested in all new posts within Airfix:

On the main screen headed ‘Hornby Hobbies’ click ‘3 horizontal lines button’ (top right)

or

On the screen headed ‘Airfix’ click ‘Menu’ (2nd thing down from Top Left)

Both of those bring up same menu -> choose ‘Airfix’ & then ‘Forums’ - brings up the all Airfix topics screen (with new/unread posts shown prominently!)

On mobile devices - for anyone interested in a similar view of all Airfix/Hornby/Scalextric topics:

Do as above, but then click ‘Forums’ (1st thing down from Top Left) on the all Airfix topics screen.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

Touched on it before but I loathe the new layout. I only use a PC but it is the most un-userfriendly forum I've used in my 28 odd years of internet activity. It's completely killed my interest in Hornby's/Airfix's website (forum and retail).

• Confused 1

They don’t miss or want you. There is no sentimentality, I am afraid. It’s purely business. If it’s friendly you want, take a look at MRF, the one run by Stesse. Most  of the long serving ex Hornby guys are here.

@Yelrow Nothing is being done to drive folk away, but you are right in that a business decision has been made. It’s a pity that some folk don’t like the change, there is always some fall out, but those that remain should start to see better functionality as further changes are made. Personal choice always reigns supreme. R-

We are now on our third iteration of forum platforms and each version has generated the same nay-saying, even to the extent that some folk said v3 is worse than v2 which was great so why change it, when those same folk had previously voiced opinion that v2 was worse than v1, which was also great so why change it.

It is noticeable that the nay-sayers usually have a low post count, so likely unfamiliar with the workings and full advantages of any new version.

This latest version has the odd navigation and filtering glitches which are being sorted but you now have a decent search engine, picture galleries for your own albums, there will be clubs and blogs later. Regardless of that as stated by others it is what it is and you either like it or lump it. Other forums are available or you could delve into the fantasy world of Facebook groups.

yup, accept all that, Rob, and Rog.   Was purely an observation, and offer of more friendly forum, to which, of course, you both belong.    And yes, i am posting less, through illness.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, I find the initially challenging navigation to be a chore now, but I have received help and it’s getting easier. 
There’s a significant improvement in posting photos. I don’t know if the number limit on photos posted by an individual still exists - from being close to the limit, I haven’t had a problem yet. 
Friendly or unfriendly ….? I do find it very helpful though. 
Complaint : not as many people getting involved as before, yet. 

21 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Complaint : not as many people getting involved as before, yet. 

Guilty as charged, your honour.

I plead mitigating circumstances.

Domestic and personal circumstances have conspired to make me virtually cease most fun modelling since Christmas. As a self-professed professional modeller (railway subjects), the circumstances have also had a bad effect on my Day Job, too. This is beginning to resolve as I’ve made the decision to wind down the professional side of life to free up time for personal life and fun times modelling again.

I have a large collection of 1940 subjects still to build, but the majority are not Airfix kits (I know this isn’t so much of an issue now) but as I tend to run work-in-progress threads on Britmodeller I don’t think it’s fair to simply cut and paste the same content here.

I am thinking about how I can post interesting stuff here. I don’t know what other members would like to see, so I will keep pondering on that.