8 Pin Decoder speaker socket has come off of the decoder

Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone. I had a spare 8 pin txs decoder which I intended to put into my newly purchased R30011 scotrail class 153. I have installed 5 other decoders of this type so I'm fairly comfortable I know how to do it 🙂

On this occasion however the speaker socket on the decoder has come off - I still have it but should it be possible to mount it back on again?

If so, how? I've just looked to buy a new one whilst I sort the old one out but it seems they are very hard to come by at the moment

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bugsy1957

• Bugsy1957 changed the title to 8 Pin Decoder speaker socket has come off of the decoder

@Bugsy1957 recommended first step is to contact hm.customercare@hornby.com & explain the situation. Provided it is within warranty period (& possibly even if it isn’t) they will almost certainly offer to repair/replace it as required.

33 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@Bugsy1957 recommended first step is to contact hm.customercare@hornby.com & explain the situation. Provided it is within warranty period (& possibly even if it isn’t) they will almost certainly offer to repair/replace it as required.

Thank you - my past dealings with Hornby CS have always been positive so fingers crossed :)

• Thanks 1

The socket falling off is a known problem and has been reported by a few folk on here. CS will sort out a replacement decoder.

58 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

The socket falling off is a known problem and has been reported by a few folk on here. CS will sort out a replacement decoder.

Thank you - I do hope so.

10 hours ago, Bulleidboy said:

I had this problem and just soldered the speaker wires to the two pads on the decoder - needs a steady hand.

Thanks for that. I did consider that but decided my soldering skills are not that good. I had a battle with Amazon but they are going to give me a refund. I was prepared to buy a new one but it seems they are out of stock everywhere atm.

16 minutes ago, Bugsy1957 said:

Thanks for that. I did consider that but decided my soldering skills are not that good. I had a battle with Amazon but they are going to give me a refund. I was prepared to buy a new one but it seems they are out of stock everywhere atm.

The trouble is with soldering on these things if you leave the iron on too long or the pcb is not good quality the pad you are soldering to falls off, generally on the tip of the iron. Then you really are in trouble.

Just to close this one off I contacted amazon and they have issued a refund for the decoder. In some ways I would have preferred a replacement but the 8pin decoders seem difficult to get hold of atm.

(Thanks to George - sorry for troubling you on this one)

Dave

• 1 month later...
On 29/05/2024 at 20:53, 96RAF said:

Apparently not at Olivias Trains !

Or at least not any they have supplied. Mine is currently on its way back for "investigation" as the socket was loose enough that it wont make connection unless pressure is applied.

Hopefully a replacement will be on its way soon, Lord Rodney is waiting !

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

Apparently not at Olivias Trains !

Or at least not any they have supplied. Mine is currently on its way back for "investigation" as the socket was loose enough that it wont make connection unless pressure is applied.

Hopefully a replacement will be on its way soon, Lord Rodney is waiting !

Of the many thousands of decoders supplied a few have reported the socket fall off, whether by rough handling or build fault I don't know, but there has never been any problem getting the decoders replaced. If Olivias's is playing hard to get, then let George or CS know.

Mine has not fallen off, just slides backwards when I tried to plug it in. So I gripped it in place while installing speaker, but no sound unless I squeeze top to bottom together.

Hopefully they will sort it without hassle.

Ok well I guess I wont be dealing with Olivia Trains anymore !

I asked for a replacement, but I was refunded. not a problem , I just re-ordered another .... only to have it canceled !

They are still listed and showing as at least 10 in stock 🤔

Edited by Too Tall
  • Confused 1

With out being too detrimental they are a company you deal with when all else fails. I wanted a ScotRail Dapol class 68, they were out of stock everywhere else, I paid maximum recommended retail plus a bit more which is probably why they still had one. They were pretty good with postage which was really good after all the horror stories I had read, so I suppose it depends who you get in the shop. As to them not having a HM7000 as still advertising it, a lot of companies in model railway seem to do that, the worrying thing is I noticed someone in another field doing it which is worrying. I ordered a Hornby Powerbank because the site on the Supplier said they had them, only to find out they basically they were on preorder, which they didn't say. Perhaps it is because the smaller retailers have to get someone in to change their webpages.

Oh they have them, (more than 10 in stock the listing says) they are just refusing to sell one to me because I returned a faulty one !

Yes, I had often bypassed them due to steep pricing, but in the case of 8 pin HM7K decoders they are about the only place left with stock, and only slightly behind the top scalpers Jadlam  in price. I wanted to keep the  install straightforward but now I'll now settle for a £54 21 pin HM7K decoder and do a bit of rewiring to accommodate 😋

16 minutes ago, RB51 said:

@ColinB - your post has been deleted as being off topic and personal. R-

Ok have it your way, as to the original subject I still find that behaviour on the HM7K unacceptable. 

Edited by ColinB

4 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Oh they have them, (more than 10 in stock the listing says) they are just refusing to sell one to me because I returned a faulty one !

Yes, I had often bypassed them due to steep pricing, but in the case of 8 pin HM7K decoders they are about the only place left with stock, and only slightly behind the top scalpers Jadlam  in price. I wanted to keep the  install straightforward but now I'll now settle for a £54 21 pin HM7K decoder and do a bit of rewiring to accommodate 😋

Have you tried Hereford Models? I just bought a Merchant Navy TTS off them, which by now should be sold out since they haven't been made for years. I just wanted the loco to make a noise, so TTS was perfect.

• 5 weeks later...
On 23/07/2024 at 18:01, ColinB said:

Have you tried Hereford Models? I just bought a Merchant Navy TTS off them, which by now should be sold out since they haven't been made for years. I just wanted the loco to make a noise, so TTS was perfect.

I know I am late in this post or thread, but I had to share my experience of Hereford models, I bought a Merchant Navy TTS as well, I think I share in this forum the issue I had, one speaker wire had come off the decoder when i opened the packaging. spoke to them, they provided return label free of charge, got a replacement sent out straight away upon them receiving the faulty one. Since that experience I have bought more stuff from them, only thing I don't like is their website, which have weird (at least for me) set up which I find very difficult to navigate, others maybe fine with it. That's just my personal experience.

1 hour ago, Deem said:

I know I am late in this post or thread, but I had to share my experience of Hereford models, I bought a Merchant Navy TTS as well, I think I share in this forum the issue I had, one speaker wire had come off the decoder when i opened the packaging. spoke to them, they provided return label free of charge, got a replacement sent out straight away upon them receiving the faulty one. Since that experience I have bought more stuff from them, only thing I don't like is their website, which have weird (at least for me) set up which I find very difficult to navigate, others maybe fine with it. That's just my personal experience.

I would agree, the website does take some navigating. I think the search function wasn't that good either, but eventually you get there.

8 hours ago, ColinB said:

I would agree, the website does take some navigating. I think the search function wasn't that good either, but eventually you get there.

Totally Agree