Flying Scotsman steam.

Hi  Mine was delivered this morning by DPD  local .  All set up and running very well.   WARNING WARNING    When you find the water inlet for the steam generator  (would never have guessed without the information sheet0 be very very careful as this is a very very small plug which is difficult to grip and easy to drop.  I managed to get it out with difficulty and then when trying to put back in I dropped it as so difficult to hold and find hole it goes in.  Fortunately I found the plug and tried again using a different method and alas yes it dropped again and could not see anywhere.  Fortunately my daughter has very good eyes and after about an hour she finally found it in amongst some points.  She got it in for me and hey presto it worked a treat.

I tried to find a replacement but no luck but did find an extraction tool but think may have been for the liver steam one.    I now have a narrow tray which has a rubber inner on the bottom and full loco and tender fit in with not problem so next time it goes in there and hopefully no more panics.

Hornby should advise on its size and perhaps offer advice as how best to remove it and replace it as not easy   Malcolm

Yes. I did get the photo, albeit 90 degrees out, and subsequently took a look at street view. We now know which house it's at and the nominated next door neighbour is going to try and retrieve the loco. I'll update when I find out. 

• Like 1

Has anyone else had any trouble removing the filler cap? The cap on my model seems very tight.

Mod note - see Mal's post 2 up from yours. Exact same problem.

• Sad 1

I ordered the FS steam generator from Rails on Tuesday evening, with 10% discount, and it arrived at 9.15 this morning via DPD. I'm very pleased with it. It ran straight away under DCC address 3 - I haven't connected the app to it yet. The plug for the water filler (behind the chimney on this model, not inside the smokebox) is indeed very fiddly. I had to use fine pliers to pull it out the first time, and it is tiny and will be easy to lose - Hornby should supply a handful of spares with the model! I put the specified 3ml in with the pipette supplied and no steam appeared, so I added 1 extra ml as per the instructions for first filling, and it then produced clouds of steam. It stopped steaming after a few minutes and I wondered if it had used all the water, but I noticed a bubble of water in the chimney and extracted this with a tissue, and it worked again. I've no idea how long it is supposed to run on a 3ml filling?

Regards, John

21 minutes ago, Britannia Builder said:

It stopped steaming after a few minutes and I wondered if it had used all the water, but I noticed a bubble of water in the chimney and extracted this with a tissue, and it worked again

yep mine did the same am about to retry. I am using DI water.  I did remove any left from the first try  so will see what happens this time

Ok am I going mad, I compared the new one with my old A3s and the previous version R3508TTS. Is the water pipe that runs down the side of the boiler below the hand rail on the wrong side? On all my A3 models it is on the left hand side looking from the cab, on this one it is on the right. I checked a few photos on the web and none of them have it on the right. Yes that plug is incredibly tight, nice idea but I can see many models having deep gouges where someone tried to lever it with a screwdriver. I finally got it off after about 10 minutes carefully using my fingernails as a lever. 

2 hours ago, Brew Man said:

And do you have to remove the the body each time it needs a refill?

You don’t remove the body to fill - just the plug behind the chimney.

24 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

You don’t remove the body to fill - just the plug behind the chimney.

OK, thanks that is as I would hope. But doesn't that spoil the appearance a bit? Also, Colin's comment regarding the placement of the water pipe is a bit disturbing.

EDIT: Just read GS's explanation of pipe placement.

Edited by Brew Man

20 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

But doesn't that spoil the appearance a bit?

The plug-like thing behind the chimney is a feature of the loco - possibly the snifting valve? Having the water filler here is much more convenient than opening the smokebox door - ideally just needs a little plastic tool to aid removal and refitting.

Regards, John

14 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

Snifting Valve? 🤔

The snifting valve or snifter allows air to be drawn into the cylinders when coasting with the regulator closed, to prevent a vacuum building up. Purely my supposition - I've no evidence as to what the thing behind the chimney is.

Regards, John

Is the sound pre-loaded on this loco? I see there is a new TXS sound profile (SD033) especially for this loco or any loco fitted with a steam generator - it will not work with any other loco(s). Mine is in the post☺️

Edited by Bulleidboy

I am hoping I am not breaking any law but is this the picture you mentioned?

Edited by RB51
Copyright infringement- image removed

43 minutes ago, Deem said:

I am hoping I am not breaking any law but is this the picture you mentioned?

Yes Deem.  It is copyrighted as you can see in the upper righthand corner.  I would have just posted the image myself, but was concerned about a copyright violation.  So I just posted the link to it.

Bee

2 hours ago, Going Spare said:

@ColinBR3508TTS is in final form with left hand drive while R3991SS is in the loco's previous condition with right hand drive, the change taking place in 1954 so late- and early-logos, respectively, are correct.  

Thank you for the information, I didn't think Hornby could make that big a mistake. Do you know I looked at about 4 of my A3 locos, pre new BR logo and they all had that pipe on the left.

1 hour ago, What About The Bee said:

Yes Deem.  It is copyrighted as you can see in the upper righthand corner.  I would have just posted the image myself, but was concerned about a copyright violation.  So I just posted the link to it.

Bee

I have asked moderator to remove this picture before I get in any trouble.

• Like 1