Elite display issue

Deem

I used my elite last week, when I tested a faulty decoder and than put in storage. Today I took it out and I am getting display issue. I have dismantled using @96RAF guide which I found online and clean the cable, I have updated again to firmware 1.45 but still display issue. Loco does run and changes direction but I can not see loco address or direction or do any other function. Any advice or help will much appreciated.

WhatsAppImage2024-07-31at22_02.50(1).thumb.jpeg.e5e474ebd6ce183c7c13392a8e732caa.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-07-31at22_02.50(4).thumb.jpeg.3c9f2f6ace5910c68cec4620b4f2f4d0.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-07-31at22_02_48.thumb.jpeg.5ce546beb4cc0e5323c38a06d164d9a5.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-07-31at22_02_49.thumb.jpeg.ed662999b9f0834147ae82625616c1f9.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-31 at 22.02.50 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-31 at 22.02.50 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-31 at 22.02.50 (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-31 at 22.02.50.jpeg

Edited by Deem

If you press ' loco' while powering up the elite until you see 'Hornby' on the display, it will run through a self-check and allow you to test every button and dial. To return to normal operation just disconnect then the-connect power. It might return it to normal operation, it might not.

Edited by Brew Man

2 hours ago, Brew Man said:

If you press ' loco' while powering up the elite until you see 'Hornby' on the display, it will run through a self-check and allow you to test every button and dial. To return to normal operation just disconnect then the-connect power. It might return it to normal operation, it might not.

Thanks @Brew Man

That also have been tried without any success.

@96RAF guide to dismantle the elite

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/page12.html

That still looks like a zebra connector problem. Did you clean it with IPA and let it dry thoroughly before reassembly. Zebra connectors comprise alternate conducting and insulating strips, but contamination can make them short across the insulators causing the effect shown.

I don't know of a test rig for these screens but there must be a way of bench testing them outwith the Elite.

An alternative is to swap the screen out for another and see if that cures it. If not, then the Elite screen driver has lost the plot. I have a couple of scrap Elites with good screens, but they are buried in boxes somewhere in the garage, post the house move and they are not on my priority list to find yet. SWMBO has a long and much more important list for me to work thru'.

4 hours ago, 96RAF said:

That still looks like a zebra connector problem. Did you clean it with IPA and let it dry thoroughly before reassembly. Zebra connectors comprise alternate conducting and insulating strips, but contamination can make them short across the insulators causing the effect shown.

I don't know of a test rig for these screens but there must be a way of bench testing them outwith the Elite.

An alternative is to swap the screen out for another and see if that cures it. If not, then the Elite screen driver has lost the plot. I have a couple of scrap Elites with good screens, but they are buried in boxes somewhere in the garage, post the house move and they are not on my priority list to find yet. SWMBO has a long and much more important list for me to work thru'.

Thanks @96RAF for your advice, yes I clean the zebra cable with IPA and let it dry before reassembled the unit. That's very kind of you explaining that you may have few good screen elite in storage, but as we can't exchange each other details, I will have look else where.

I have written to Hornby and I was hoping if they can do a goodwill gesture to fix this Elite but technical team so far have not accepted my request, as I don't know how much this kind of repair will cost I will just have to wait until I can, save some money and then contact Hornby to see if they can repair.

Anyone have a rough idea how much Hornby have charged for this kind of repair, if anyone else, have had done in the past or they have rough idea the cost involve in repairing or basically replacing the LCD.

If I can get hold of used or new LCD, I am capable to replace myself. So far I have not found any, anywhere, eBay or Ali Express or Temu, have not tried Alibaba which is basically parent company of Ali Express.

Lets hope I can find a cheap and cheerful solution for this issue, otherwise I will have to sell couple of my Loco's to either pay Hornby or get a used Elite unit.

43 minutes ago, Deem said:

Thanks @96RAF for your advice, yes I clean the zebra cable with IPA and let it dry before reassembled the unit. That's very kind of you explaining that you may have few good screen elite in storage, but as we can't exchange each other details, I will have look else where.

I have written to Hornby and I was hoping if they can do a goodwill gesture to fix this Elite but technical team so far have not accepted my request, as I don't know how much this kind of repair will cost I will just have to wait until I can, save some money and then contact Hornby to see if they can repair.

Anyone have a rough idea how much Hornby have charged for this kind of repair, if anyone else, have had done in the past or they have rough idea the cost involve in repairing or basically replacing the LCD.

If I can get hold of used or new LCD, I am capable to replace myself. So far I have not found any, anywhere, eBay or Ali Express or Temu, have not tried Alibaba which is basically parent company of Ali Express.

Lets hope I can find a cheap and cheerful solution for this issue, otherwise I will have to sell couple of my Loco's to either pay Hornby or get a used Elite unit.

"That's very kind of you explaining that you may have few good screen elite in storage, but as we can't exchange each other details,"   

Can you not send him a private message to swop details?   Click on profile pic and it gives option for message. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

When i called Hornby Technical about an Elite repair, i was told, its only the newer ones they will fix now. Due to no parts for older ones.

Even more trouble for me as my unit is from 2007 according to number stamped on the back of Elite moulding. It state 19/07, I have been advised by hornby that 07 represent year of manufacturing which is 2007, I don't know what 19 mean though. Could date which didn't make sense to me

3 minutes ago, Deem said:

Even more trouble for me as my unit is from 2007 according to number stamped on the back of Elite moulding. It state 19/07, I have been advised by hornby that 07 represent year of manufacturing which is 2007, I don't know what 19 mean though. Could date which didn't make sense to me

In one of your pics, the PCB shows 2006. I have sent you a PM.

Posted (edited)

Hornby response

"Thank you for your reply, the issue  you have is with  the graphics driver  which is terminal . Not a screen fault. Sadly your controller is beyond economic repair.

On this occasion we are unable to be of any assistance"

So looks like I am in deep trouble and will have to save money before I can buy another controller.
Unless someone have driver for graphics which I don't know even if this possible (as @96RAF have informed me "Unfortunately Hornby will not release the basic firmware to me. I can only have the standard update file like everyone else") this might not even possible.
Edited by Deem
  • Sad 1

If you have some computer knowledge then DCC-EX can provide a reasonably cost-effective solution. It does require a separate computer or phone/tablet app and so some software installation. Feel free to contact me as I don't think I am allowed to do more than mention it here. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any part of the system software or hardware distribution chain.

Edited by dBerriff
  • Thanks 1

There is for the associated hardware. You can use Arduino hardware (Mega or clone) and you will need a motor control board. Arduino or clone, or the DCC-EX motor-shield board. As there is only one official outlet for the DCC-EX motor-shield hardware in the UK it becomes a very specific recommendation.

For the record I have Elegoo/Arduino hardware used with JMRI.

Edited by dBerriff

Fortunately the official website provides information & instructions for various Controller boards, Motor Shields, & Communication boards (Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth.)

So absolutely no need to be restricted to any specific brand or supplier - unless you want to be!

3 hours ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@dBerriff considering DCC-EX is open source there is no commercial advertising or promotion in providing more information.

Personally I’ve found all info clearly accessible on their website:

https://dcc-ex.com/

(likewise no affiliation - merely a happy user!)

Thanks @LTSR_NSE. Interesting read but main issue I am facing is to spare money to buy or build DCC controller. Until I have save some I will decide which route to take. I do like a challenge as building a system and doing everything from scratch.

• Like 1

Is your Elite that old, I am sure I remember you buying it not that long ago. I used these type of screens in my old jobs. There are two sorts one where you send it ASCII characters and the other where is is driven by the micro. I suspect it is the latter. It is a Custom screen just like we used for the radios and the way it is powering up it looks like the screen is at fault. I am surprised Hornby can't fix it as I doubt they will have changed the screen in all the years they have been making them. Interesting though mine is supposedly 2015 vintage which seems odd seeing as I bought it broken about that time. Have you looked around the back of the screen to see if all is well? Mail Lendons and see if he knows anyone who can fix them.

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

Is your Elite that old, I am sure I remember you buying it not that long ago. I used these type of screens in my old jobs. There are two sorts one where you send it ASCII characters and the other where is is driven by the micro. I suspect it is the latter. It is a Custom screen just like we used for the radios and the way it is powering up it looks like the screen is at fault. I am surprised Hornby can't fix it as I doubt they will have changed the screen in all the years they have been making them. Interesting though mine is supposedly 2015 vintage which seems odd seeing as I bought it broken about that time. Have you looked around the back of the screen to see if all is well? Mail Lendons and see if he knows anyone who can fix them.

Go read my teardown Colin which shows how to remove the screen and illustrates the daughter board it mounts to.  The screen is fed data0 to data7 from the Elite main PIC.

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

Thanks @ColinB.

I am waiting very patiently, if @96RAF can find some time to find couple of spare he have in storage and give it to go. Interesting idea to contact Lendon, I only have bought from them, never had any repairs. Will try tomorrow to speak with them.

Regards

38 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Go read my teardown Colin which shows how to remove the screen and illustrates the daughter board it mounts to.  The screen is fed data0 to data7 from the Elite main PIC.

I was trying this morning to think how we used to do it. We used to use a serial protocol called I2C on the radios, but on a previous project I used ASCII which would imply D0 to D7, there are also some control lines to enable the display. This has got to be a special display with its own driver IC, I think I still have the manual for how the standard ones work. Either way by the photos of the display it is probably a fault somewhere in the display.

15 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

Lendons have a note on their Warranty/Repairs page saying they are now only able to undertake warranty repairs.

I know I wondered if when he did do them he used someone he knew.

Just spoke to Lendon, they are only doing warranty repairs now, the guy who used to repair for Lendon passed away so any stock they had which that person use to strip and use spare from them to fix items, they got rid off. As for getting the parts, Hornby don't sell these parts so I am stuck with part working Elite, just can not see what am I doing as screen doesn't show anything.