Peco set track

Peachy

In this months Railway Modeller, Peco are advertising some new set track, 3 lengths of straights and 3 lengths of r2 (310mm) in 11.25, 22.5 & 45 degrees, basic I know, but hopefully a good sign of things to come? (If you’re a freak for Peco track like me that is) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

In this months Railway Modeller, Peco are advertising some new set track, 3 lengths of straights and 3 lengths of r2 (310mm) in 11.25, 22.5 & 45 degrees, basic I know, but hopefully a good sign of things to come? (If you’re a freak for Peco track like me that is) 

Do  you  mean  August RM?, Sept  one  not  out  yet.

I subscribe  to  RM,  wont  get  digital  one till tomorrow.  Not got  August  printed  copy  yet, only recived  the  July  issue  last  week!  Looks  like another  phone  call  to RM  subs dept. tomorrow.

Good  to see  TT set  track  introduced.

• Like 1

Curious to know the specification for the rail joiners. The fact is joining Peco flexitrack to Hornby track with Peco N/TT rail joiners is difficult to impossible. Even Peco to Peco was tricky as they are very tight and bend easily. I very quickly switched to Hornby rail joiners. If Peco are using rail joiners that have a Hornby type size and compatibility then it's a useful addition. If not then in my view it's a mistake. 

Edited by My name is Bond

With a standard straight length of 118mm it makes it quite small and not compatible with Hornby/Tillig which is 166mm.

Curves too follow standard Hornby/Peco 00 set track with angles of 22 1/2 and 45 degrees compared to Hornby/Tilligs 30, 15 degrees.

Looks to be a bit pricey too at nearly £3 a piece.

Screenshot_20240805_203058_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Silver Fox 17

26 minutes ago, My name is Bond said:

Curious to know the specification for the rail joiners. The fact is joining Peco flexitrack to Hornby track with Peco N/TT rail joiners is difficult to impossible. Even Peco to Peco was tricky as they are very tight and bend easily. I very quickly switched to Hornby rail joiners. If Peco are using rail joiners that have a Hornby type size and compatibility then it's a useful addition. If not then in my view it's a mistake. 

Code 55 track use Peco 'N' gauge rail joiners.  

2 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Same code 55 double T rail ?

1 hour ago, Irishmail said:

What  is  T rail?

@ntpntpntp is referring to Peco track having the true base of the rail embedded in the sleepers.

(He is saying that normal rail profile is reminiscent of an upside down capital T & therefore Peco’s is like 2 stacked T’s).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, My name is Bond said:

I’m assuming Peco are developing their own range, these set track pieces will of course fit very well with Peco’s other Code55 TT120 products. 
Personally speaking, I think this is far from being a mistake and well over due, I’m just counting the days till they expand this range. (But then, admittedly I was brainwashed back in 1972 by father who declared Peco Streamline to be only track worth using! 🤪)

• Like 1

Agree with you 100% there on use of Peco track.   My two 00/H0 layouts are all Peco track.

Currently building  small TT test layout to take to exhibitions next year , this is using a mix of Hornby. Tillig and Peco track pieces.  I only used the Hornby and Tillig track as I had them to hand and came with a couple to train sets,  which save curving the Peco flexi track to a tight radius.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My name is Bond said:

... joining Peco flexitrack to Hornby track with Peco N/TT rail joiners is difficult to impossible. Even Peco to Peco was tricky as they are very tight and bend easily. I very quickly switched to Hornby rail joiners. 

Agreed, I immediately switched to Hornby joiners for joining the two types.  Peco to Peco is absolutely no problem at all, but then again I've been working with the same code 55 rail in N since the 90s.   Peco to Fleischmann N track has a similar problem as the Fleischmann rail's foot is much wider.

I would like curved points from Peco.

But not the small ones that are not compatible with any standard radius. No, my dream would be a curved turnout with an inner R2 radius and an outer R3 radius, each curve angle 60°.

In this way, you could branch from one track to two parallel tracks, or use a left and right curved turnout to change tracks between an R2 and an R3 curve. And all without fear of derailment.

I have already worked it out, it would work perfectly.

The only drawback is that with 60° curves, this turnout would be extremely long, which is why other manufacturers have so far refrained.

For better or worse, I will have to build such points myself, similar to "TT-Filigran". I already have ideas for the combination of laser cutter (sleepers) and 3D printer (rail fastening, tension clamps, wheel guides), but no means for the frog and point tongue.

Edited by Ilmson

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

I’m assuming Peco are developing their own range

I would imagine so as the geometry is different to Hornby. 

It will be interesting to see what any points will look like as usually with set track the straight and curved parts take on the same dimensions as normal track. This will result in quite a sharp turn. At least Hornby veered from our standard convention to give a larger curved radii to their points.

• Like 1

Certainly this is another boost to the scale. Whatever way you look at it, here is Peco investing further in the scale. It only makes sense that this is the first of more to follow - so they obviously feel they have a future in TT track work. Great to hear of the signals too. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StuLarge said:

There is also a "Making a Start in TT 120" Supplement with this month's Railway Modeller 

Yeah I’ve seen that, it’s a good read and refreshing that it mentions many other manufacturers rather than just focusing purely on Peco products 

• Like 1

Peco certainly have a wealth of experience making and selling track so they have clearly done their sums and feel TT:120 has a lot more to offer in track sales, particularly when you consider they already have a Streamline range in place and with Hornby and Tillig offering set track ranges. There are also track pieces available from other existing European manufacturers too. All in all that is a lot of track to sell. It seems as though the launch of an independent set track range might be to coincide with one or more ‘other manufacturers’ announcing  TT:120 stock/ranges 😁

On 05/08/2024 at 18:30, Peachy said:

Visited a Peco stand at a local exhibition last weekend. They also had their new semaphore signals on display which are very pretty.  The rep was hinting that there will also be more rolling stock to come and that they are definitely in this for the long haul (see what I did there) 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I received the production samples direct from Peco yesterday. Video review will be up on my channel later this afternoon.

I must say I’m pleased to report the tooling looks just as good as the Streamline and the geometry is spot on.
And of course, super smooth. 

• Like 2

For full disclosure Peco kindly sent production samples of their 3 signal kits to myself. MacTrains video on this hopefully the start of next week. Just arrived today so will need a few days to get it sorted. 

• Like 2