Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I recently bought a MALLARD A4 that went back due to faulty paintwork (No QC in China) I wanted it to go with my newly aquired Dynomometer car ( returned under recall) Yesterday I saw a Mallard A4 2nd hand with just a door missing but still having the small glass cab windows intact. That was half the price of the NRM returned version. More sympathetic to my wallet. I will make a cab door from styrene sheet, as I have done on a few locos. The paint match will have to be done carefully. If there is anyone out there with a spare right door in LNER blue I would gladly purchase it. Now a question, did the MALLARD version R2339 have cylinder drain pipes?

@Vespa

I have the super detailed Mallard body on a DCC ready chassis which I call R2339.

I close coupled it and the cab doors pinged off on the first corner. I have one or both somewhere and will hunt them out for you if I can find them.

As to the drain cocks, no idea. Mine doesn’t have them but then I am not fussy about such things. See service sheet 275 item 19.

forum_image_637b459db217a.thumb.png.cd904de69907b706e13fa03e58b16df0.png

R2339 was one of the 1st fully super detail bodied models - oiler on RHS in the linkages, opening cab roof vents and yes, it came with draincocks.

I always open up the cylinder mount holes a little and take time to line up the drains - easy for them to be skewed, being long.

One of my favourite locomotives - on her 2nd motor now, but that's me - don't like boxes with 'investment inside' nor just shelf queens - they've got to work for a living!!

Al.

Thank you Atom. I have managed to get hold of a set of correct draincocks and full rear bogie wheel for £2.95 brand new. All I need to do is make a cab door. From all the photos of it, it looks as new otherwise and does have the 14 day returns facility if required. I was surprised at Peter's Spares for postage prices, so got the accessory pack cheaper with £2 p+p elsewhere. I do not understand how a charge of £5 can be alloted to an envelope part. Say 10p for the envelope and £1 for the postage leaving a furthur wacking £3.90 effectively profit after the profit on the parts.

EDIT EDIT

96 RAF if you do find them I will gladly pay you inc P+P if you can get them to me.

I must admit I find Peters Spares postage a bit steep for small items, but to give them credit I can see why. I must admit though generally I use the other spares suppliers, they are generally cheaper for postage and usually for the spares themselves. The trouble is there are certain items that only Peters Spares holds so you are forced to go to them.

@Vespa

I have been tripping over that door for months and now its gone AWOL. The left hand door is still attached. I will keep looking. If found it comes to you free. Tis a simple thing. I can take a photo of the other one if you need to make one.

My Mallard arrived today. I am very pleased with it. I will have to sort the cab door. I can see why the draincocks are not fitted as it will make the loco usable only on scale gentle curves as the front bogie will catch. It looks as the returned NRM version except it's semi matt rather than gloss. A very quick delivery from the sender via Royal Mail.

Obviously back in stock. That’s good. Peco flexi was in very short supply for several months. Over here, there has been none for several months.

Actually, I bought 2 boxes from one retailer and the other 2 from 2 other retailers, seems they didn't have much stock.

Both of my local shops are out of stock too.

Hopefully, with what I've already amassed, I'll have enough for the new layout.

This might be a bit pathetic to some people but I was really happy to get it. I had one as a child and eventually it fell to pieces. They may still actually be available new, they were until recently.

Anyway, it’s a Budgie push along Jinty which is now on display with my black version of the earlier LMS version (totally different body) and JVM N2.

forum_image_63862585ad99e.thumb.png.7c6ecf42f07ec1863576dbf6d6f8efad.png

Another bargain today. My wife bought me a Hornby Princess Elizabeth plus 3 LMS coaches. I noticed something odd about the loco and it was only later on whilst having a good look at it that I noticed the motion is gold.

Seems it's a special edition. Unfortunately, it has no box, but that won't matter as it will be running around on my layout.