Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Just received an as-new Bachmann Stanier Mogul, for less than 3 figures - literally looks brand new and all of the 'Stanier traits' are there - nice-looking locomotive and I hope I like her running.

Pre-operation inspection has started - initially the tender is a more-reasonable weight - locomotive as received feels quite a decent weight so may require little if any additions.

I'll normally go over all screws and bolts, touch of oil / grease here and there, add weight where able to aid adhesion / traction - hate seeing spinning wheels with only 3 coaches but won't 'kill' a locomotive either, add 'practical detailing' from the pack and crew.

Brake rods, oiling and crew added - drainpipes and front steps to add.

Just running her in now - very quiet and smooth - very nice model.

Al.

Not a loco or other bit of rolling stock but a book I had been after for years. i got the later version (and the Electric Locos in 4mm scale) from the WHR at a massive discount in the late 1980s but hadn’t seen this earlier version at a decent price since. This one has all the ‘interesting’ diesels in it rather than just the classes that still existed when the later one was revised. Great book;

forum_image_636d14ffb94c6.thumb.png.226738432397470eb3e018da55e77fdc.png

I just bought a second 'first and last' intercity 125 pack, so I can run all blue and grey and all GWR green, each with four coaches and a buffet car.

it seems inappropriate not to mention those that died on that fateful day in 2004, of which the driver of the 125 that day, Stan Martin, is dedicated to within this train pack.

• Stanley Martin, 54, of Torquay, Devon (the train driver)
  • Anjanette Rossi, 38, of Speen, Berkshire (the mother of Louella Main)
  • Louella Main, 9, of Speen, Berkshire (the daughter of Anjanette Rossi)
  • Charlie Matthews, 72, of Warminster, Wiltshire
  • Barry Strevens, 55, of Wells, Somerset
  • Emily Webster, 14, of Doccombe, Moretonhampstead, Devon

Pleased to announce the early arrival of HST 125 Swallow Executive Railroad, Was promised for Monday, so Saturday morning was a pleasant surprise. It will run with the dual bogie drive model, and an assortment of 20ish year old models. I do like the Class 43.

Mine was a weathered Hornby R2716 Standard 4 class. It was advertised as broken with the speedo fallen off and the front buffer beam completely wrecked. I took the buffer beam off one of the scrap tender bases I have ( I convert most of my Hornby locos to decoder in tender, so I have lots of old tender bases). It is not concurs with the fix, but it doesn't not matter to me. The rest of the loco is immaculate and runs really well.

I have a number of old Jouef/Playcraft, Lima, Hornby Acho etc. locos and can usually find traction tyres that do the job from a mixed bag of Hornby and Lima ones I bought from a swapmeet and several bags of Hornby ones I have collected over the years as many wheels are approximately the same sizes. the Jouef rubber band drives can also be replaced with traction tyres of approximately the same size. The originals were the same catalogue numbers as the traction tyres for each model.

It was lucky that FS was saved but if it had not have been saved it would have been cut up into hundreds of bits within days of being taken out of service. The more northern scrap merchants had less other work, so cut locos up as soon as they arrived, The Scrap merchant on Barry Island had a lot of other work, and left the locos it had till the other work dried up that is why so many ex Southern and Western Region steam locos and so few North Western and Eastern steam locos are around today.

I am still buying working pantograph locos I have now a massed 35 locos in total.

9 x Hornby Class 86

7 x Lima Class 87

9 x Hornby Class 90

5 x Hornby Class 91 with MK4 DVTs

5 x Hornby Class 92 ( converted to live pantographs )

Latest being a Lima Class 87 as well as several Hornby Class 91s and DVTs plus both MK3 and MK4 coaches MK 2e Brake Ends, Freightliner and other suitable rolling stock.

The liveries covered are BR Blue, BR Intercity Executive, BR Intercity Swallow and BR Sectors.

I think my last entries for recent purchases were a Bachmann Stanier Mogul - superb looking, and running, locomotive - and a Rapido Models LNER Dynamometer Car.

There's a slight update.

The Mogul was checked over, touches of 'lube' in all moving parts areas, and it had been running perfectly, and for quite a few hours, moderately loaded after gentle break-in each way, and run each way, when it suddenly substantially slowed ...

Inspection showed the brushes had started arcing, initially sporadically, which I tried to 'burn through' with gently light running, then harder, but nothing doing. I've never won when I've opened up one of these can motors, where servicing used to be easy on the old Ringfields and X-04's .... so it's new motor time, after perhaps 8-10 hours' running!

For the Rapido Dynamometer Car, there's been a MAJOR RECALL!!

I'd not even placed it on the running tracks, just on display alongside my 'living room perch' behind Mallard.

Apparently, the lighting function is inconsistent and unreliable, with a risk of fire!!

That's gone back on free recall.

The Mogul will join the list of Bachmann locomotives requiring a replacement motor.

Al.

Not a new acquisition, but the first time out of the box since purchase on the 18th December 2015 - Battle of Britain Class 34070 "Manston".

The real 34070 Manston was issued with a new 10 year boiler ticket on the 16th November 2022 after a five year overhaul. Can be seen on the Swanage Railway.

forum_image_637910febb4c8.thumb.png.2597240c9eb0c34a73e65d5323328248.png