Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

12 hours ago, Bulver said:

Hi all, a question to BulleidBoy, and others more knowledgeable than me, if I may.  I cannot see how to remove the bodyshell of the Brighton Belle motor car.  I have followed the instructions in the manual, but there doesn't seem to be any suitable point at which to unlock the 6 tags, and in attempting this a tiny piece of plastic has dropped off from somewhere.  It is frustrating not being able to access the decoder, as I wish to replace it with a sound chip.  So any help would be gratefully received

cheers

Rod

I don't know if this is any help, but I have a 1934 Brighton Belle and had no trouble removing body shell. I attach the instructions I used from Bromsgrove Models.  Attention Moderators, - I hope this does not breach copyright, Bromsgrove closed down his website in December 2021 due to illness and other problem, just 6 month after I accessed it.

Brighton Belle 1934.pdf

Hi Fred,  thank you for the info, looks very promising.  I will give it a go later today.  I remember Bromsgrove Models from other instructions etc. I obtained, but sad to hear the owner had to give up due to illness etc.

Thanks once again

Rod

On 02/08/2024 at 23:39, atom3624 said:

Don't be surprised if you don't find any spring in the Duchess front bogie - none of mine have a spring.

They are / should be superb runners.

Al.

None of mine neither have spring in front bogie, but later (circa 2017 onward duchess or princesses loco do have, part number X6709, I am waiting for them from lendon, I think they should fit some of my models.

On 03/08/2024 at 11:18, Bulver said:

lovely streamliner there, Deem, must be my favourite British loco, so stylish.  Great you have made it a runner and a great price too

Rod

Thanks @Bulver.

It was a pleasure doing the service and having it running so smoothly. Once I have the dcc ready tender and spring front bogie, I will update here for everyone to enjoy as much I enjoyed working on this loco.

27 minutes ago, Deem said:

None of mine neither have spring in front bogie, but later (circa 2017 onward duchess or princesses loco do have, part number X6709, I am waiting for them from lendon, I think they should fit some of my models.

Just had another look, you are correct.

Apologies.  I have 2 non-streamlined, 3 streamlined 'latest specification' Coronations - I like Coronations like Bulleid Boy likes Merchant Navy locos!!  🙂

I've had to use older bogies without that spring on my more modern ones - Gloucester (blue) and SWAS of course.  Reason is I like adding the detailing, especially the cylinder draincocks, which interfere with the extra mouldings on the newer bogies.

On a couple, I've 'trimmed' with a grinder, then painted over the newly exposed shiny metal.  If not done, it pushes the locomotive off the track, or unglues the drains I've found.  I didn't have the same problem with the 3 'new-style' streamliners I have, but the none streamlined Coronations have issues when the drains are fitted.

Al.

Not Hornby, but just received a new Backmann Class 419/MLV "Sound fitted" to supplement my Bachmann Class 121/DMU - already programmed and doing its running in circuits on the inner "over the mountains" line. That's 3 Bachmanns I have (one more than planned) but couldn't resist the super low price I got it for.

Edited by Aussie Fred
Spelling error (i before e except after c)

Finally bit the bullet and paid for a replacement speedo cable for my 30850 LN - it broke the last time I was using it.  I don't think it was 'self-inflicted', so must have been fatigue.

I'll probably fit it over the weekend.  The main thing is giving the glue enough time to set properly.

Al.

On 02/08/2024 at 14:29, Bulver said:

Hi all, a question to BulleidBoy, and others more knowledgeable than me, if I may.  I cannot see how to remove the bodyshell of the Brighton Belle motor car.  I have followed the instructions in the manual, but there doesn't seem to be any suitable point at which to unlock the 6 tags, and in attempting this a tiny piece of plastic has dropped off from somewhere.  It is frustrating not being able to access the decoder, as I wish to replace it with a sound chip.  So any help would be gratefully received

cheers

Rod

Sorry for the very late reply to your question. I have never taken mine apart, but have a look at this site -

https://www.bloodandcustard.com/  his link is courtesy of the Blood and Custard group - which is always worth a look at. ? BB

Most of their pictures are "copyright", but the main site is open to all.  There is an article - with photographs on how to take your Brighton Belle apart.

t

Edited by Bulleidboy

Thanks, BB, I wiill have a peruse of the site, I have a sheet from AussieFred, which was first published by Bromsgrove Models, and it looks straightforward, but I haven't yet succeeded in getting the body off (worried about damaging the paintwork) and once I've looked at the bloodandcustard site, it may well give me additional pointers.  Will keep the site posted!

Rod

• Like 1

Hornby West Country class renamed to Plymouth, had running issues. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up to find a Zimo/LokSound (don't know which yet) inside. Unfortunately it was hard wired but I can sort that. Poor running is probably due to the old pickup system so I will update it to the newer system by fitting the latest loco bottom. The sound decoder works as well, so a double bonus.

3 hours ago, ColinB said:

Hornby West Country class renamed to Plymouth, had running issues. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up to find a Zimo/LokSound (don't know which yet) inside. Unfortunately it was hard wired but I can sort that. Poor running is probably due to the old pickup system so I will update it to the newer system by fitting the latest loco bottom. The sound decoder works as well, so a double bonus.

I am glad you got nice surprise, I have bought couple and they were listed as DC but they had decoders in them. One was dead, but excellent conversion to 8 pin socket, just like factory fitted, but other have LiasDac decoder, it worked beautifully both in DC and DCC. Wiring is hard wired and quite few wire were without any insulation. I am waiting for tender chassis from Lendon than I will replace the wiring and move the decoder to Tender, until I find sound decoder.

39 minutes ago, Deem said:

I am glad you got nice surprise, I have bought couple and they were listed as DC but they had decoders in them. One was dead, but excellent conversion to 8 pin socket, just like factory fitted, but other have LiasDac decoder, it worked beautifully both in DC and DCC. Wiring is hard wired and quite few wire were without any insulation. I am waiting for tender chassis from Lendon than I will replace the wiring and move the decoder to Tender, until I find sound decoder.

This one was hard wired and the speaker was glued to the upper body, I think the original speaker was broken. I had to buy a 8 pin header off Ali Express as could not find one anywhere. I will put the decoder in the tender as I do with all my other locos.

43 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

@ColinB Just for future ref, Hornby have them in stock

https://uk.hornby.com/products/pcb-socket-and-pins-x9084r

Thank you for the info but the one I am looking for is the type normally fitted to a decoder, someone has hard wired my one, so I need to rewire it to a plain header ( basically just pins). The one your link shows is a DC header where pins 1 is connected to 8 and 4 is connected to 5. You can get 8 pin sockets that you can wire to, but these are not that good for long term reliability and the height is a bit of a restriction as well.

18 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Yes, thank for the information. I have some of those, they are ok but they melt when you solder to them and they are a bit high. The wires tend to fall off easier than if they were soldered to a PCB. Zimo used to do the ones I like, but they are out of stock. I have 3 coming sometime in the future, I assume from China. It is just annoying nobody in the UK stocks them. Coastal DCC did have some that were a bit better, but the ones I ordered were exactly what I wanted.

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

Yes, thank for the information. I have some of those, they are ok but they melt when you solder to them and they are a bit high. The wires tend to fall off easier than if they were soldered to a PCB. Zimo used to do the ones I like, but they are out of stock. I have 3 coming sometime in the future, I assume from China. It is just annoying nobody in the UK stocks them. Coastal DCC did have some that were a bit better, but the ones I ordered were exactly what I wanted.

Very inquisitive as what are you using? I have tried a few to make them work in Class 08, but nothing was small enough to fit in the Loco. So gave up and just hard-wired the decoder and lighting last year, it will be interesting to see what have you ordered.

10 hours ago, Deem said:

Very inquisitive as what are you using? I have tried a few to make them work in Class 08, but nothing was small enough to fit in the Loco. So gave up and just hard-wired the decoder and lighting last year, it will be interesting to see what have you ordered.

I am just using the standard header that you would find on say a Zimo or Hornby decoder although the Hornby ones did have a slot for cable retention. For my Bachmann class 08s I replaced the 8 pin socket for a Hornby Pecket 6 pin, that plus a direct 6 pin decoder gave me more room. You can buy Plux18 sockets which are even smaller although soldering to them is a bit of a challenge. 

Plymouth was the first rebuilt West Country model to be released (featuring on the cover of the 2007 (?) catalogue) and has the DCC socket on the loco chassis.  Unusually for a first release, it has a weathered finish and equally unusually for a loco carrying BR late-logo green livery, it was not fitted with a speedometer drive.

• Thanks 1

My bargain of the year - Electrotren Alaris with sound.

£435 reduced to £261 in the Hornby Webshop Summer Sale, an extra 10% with 10SUMMER code and after cashing in £91 in rewards it was down to £144. Comes with a free diecast HO food trailer and double rewards for next time so £28 off my next wagon. What a deal.

Oh, it also runs pretty well and looks great. 👍

P8120179.thumb.JPG.1c698e7588e903bfbc7276ebe3e50ea0.JPG

• Like 2

R3305 Early Logo 62059 K1 (factory weathered) arrived today.

Very good price, but no detail pack - clearly mentioned in the sale description - another was easily found on that same 'auction site', and purchased.

Very nice-running model now, but cannot continuously crawl - might get better with running.

Al.