Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

As well as DODO, my preordered Manchester Ship Canal Pecket came along with two Heljan 1370 panniers (one was an order that I thought I'd cancelled! All this after I'd got a good deal on two point decoders (the latter @ 30% off list price!)

As a result I will not be buying anything major for at least the next two months unless more pre-orders come in (Please Hornby don't relerase Kinight of St Patrick before Easter!)

I sympathise!

SWMBO sometimes asks "have you a parcel coming?" and I try to answer that truthfully (well nearly always!) . However in the week before Christmas I forgot what I may have on pre-order, and what with Hornby and others suddenly releasing some new stuff the postie or the courier van turns up by surprise and I am in the dog house for the rest of the day!  The postie then adds to my embarassment by telling her - "This must be your Christmas present" . 😳

Just purchased off ebay the Hornby Marks & Spencer Evening Star set from 2004.  It's my birthday present from the wife and daughter.

What's incredible is, the set has not been opened!  It is still sealed and has the sticker warning to "Do Not Break This Seal Unless You Intend To Keep This Set".  I like the cufflinks, too!

My thinking is to be the one to open it up and run it on my layout!  That's what it was made for, right?

"Just purchased off ebay the Hornby Marks & Spencer Evening Star set from 2004.  It's my birthday present from the wife and daughter.

What's incredible is, the set has not been opened!  It is still sealed and has the sticker warning to "Do Not Break This Seal Unless You Intend To Keep This Set".  I like the cufflinks, too!

My thinking is to be the one to open it up and run it on my layout!  That's what it was made for, right?"

depends whether you think your James May, would appear your beginning to doubt if you should

depends whether you think your James May, would appear your beginning to doubt if you should

No, I'm not James May at all.  However, we would agree on running our trains and not letting them sit in their boxes.  My father and I have always had this debate.  He keeps his boxed, I have mine out and run them.  I do keep a good amount of their boxes for storage, but I run the trains.  To me, their beauty is also in the running.

And since I have to wear shirts and ties to work (some of which need cufflinks), I would wear the cufflinks!

5 x 6' floor boards, 10 x 6' lengthe of 2x1" planed which should arrive Saturday. Hopefully this will be all the timber I shoud need to build the baseboard under my narrow gauge interchange and make up some more storage shelves for stock.

Plus of cource some shelves under the stairs for SWMBO to keep her cake tins on!

(Hornby Advent Sale - OO) R3465 LNER 0-6-2T N2 Class '4765'

/media/tinymce_upload/210dcd6a0cd15014a6cb5a2dc98170dc.jpg

(preowned - N) 372-062 BR 0-6-0 Class 4F '43875'

/media/tinymce_upload/14951fc3a69eed2de3f721212aed3321.jpg

(preowned - N) 2D-003-006 BR Class 52 'Western Consort D1065'

/media/tinymce_upload/6185bdeae4f8c8f0acb4f5e819573dc0.jpg

(Haversham Black Friday sale -N) 2S-021-001 BR Q1 '33016'

/media/tinymce_upload/2dc1e33ec564800e7058c89abce1ec3d.jpg

(Haversham Black Friday sale - OO) R3233 LNER D16 '8825'

/media/tinymce_upload/933db88d18eee9ec9f790085eb8065fa.jpg

I sympathise!

SWMBO sometimes asks "have you a parcel coming?" and I try to answer that truthfully (well nearly always!) . However in the week before Christmas I forgot what I may have on pre-order, and what with Hornby and others suddenly releasing some new stuff the postie or the courier van turns up by surprise and I am in the dog house for the rest of the day!  The postie then adds to my embarassment by telling her - "This must be your Christmas present" . 😳

Been there... done that... bought the t-shirt for the same dog house... ☹️

And the last arrival before Christmas is the mighty Airfix 1:24th Scale Hawker Typhoon - my brain is pooling around my feet after reading the instruction book....

/media/tinymce_upload/6931a2c309173b726a1c0a0dc8a54880.jpg

Ahh.. a 1:24scale Typhoon!! Is there space to install a motor for the prop?

I have a 1:24th scale Hurricane and a 1:24th Scale BF109E - both still mint in box. Since 1982....

Got them for birthdays. I could not afford an airbrush kit at the time, and so had left them in the boxes. I just discovered them again last year at my mother's, hidden on the top shelf of a cupboard - everything's still in mint condition, though the boxes are a little yellowed. Should be worth a pretty penny now, eh, what!?

I think I should finally get an airbursh kit, some paints and glue, and fix the suckers up!

A Crosti 9F 92023, railroad breakdown crane - the grey one and a Railroad Brake Van.

I have from many years ago a lima MK1 "Engineers Mess Coach" and Air Compressor 50' van - both in Olive Green. When was that livery valid for ? I runs a 60s layout - would they be suitable for use with the crane ?

In the late 60s there used to be a regular working South from Lancaster of a breakdown crane on Saturday mornings - pulled by the Ivatt 4MT - 43106. I cant remember the formation though.

What would be typical wagons to go with a crane ? 

Crosti 9F arrived today courtesy of Rails at a very reasonable price. The weathering is a bit on the basic side but I may send it for a pro heavy weathering job,if any model needs one this does, I've seen some real crackers. First thought on unpacking is that the loco has some weight to it, and even though it's one of the "design clever" era models I am more than happy with it's appearance, certainly different to the standard 9F. It runs typically well as all the 9F's I've got do, although the gearing seens lower, it has exellent low speed control. A big thumbs up for this one!.

I have required the Gloucester City Pullman train set. The locomotive is well detailed for a supposedly railroad model and 2 of the coaches have names on them. Also it was a quick delivery so kudos to Hornby I'm very impressed. I have also bought some other stuff a decoder and a digitrack so I can turn it into DCC.

I decided to spoil myself (again) and take advantage of Hornby's Winter Sale. So this morning another S15 arrived together with the NRM version of the HA electric E5001. And the big kid in me also decided to add Gordon No 4 and Henry No 5 to my small (but growing) collection of 'Rev. Awdry's Railway Series' locomotives.

Once again Hornby and Interlink excelled themselves. I ordered these yesterday afternoon and they arrived just after 9am today.

One tiny gripe though. The HA had lost two buffers, they were loose in the packaging. However I was able to re-attach them with a drop of EMA liquid poly. The shanks appear to be seperate mouldings and not part of the main body. 

I was surprised to find that Gordon & Henry remain tender drive. I thought all Hornby steam locos were now loco drive.  Not a problem of course, they are good pullers anyway.

That is strange, I would have thought Hornby would be delighted to export them, is there a licencing issue? I know that the Bachmann HO Thomas series are restricted and cannot be sold in the UK (or so I am told) but their G scale can. Can you get Bachmann in OZ?

The fact that Bachmann also sell the OO9 Thomas models in the US but not here is galling, especially as Hornby don't do them either.

This is what happens when I try to checkout. The following appears near the top of the page:

We are sorry, we cannot process your order as we cannot deliver Thomas & Friends™ - ...xxx... to Australia. Please remove it from your basket to continue.

As you think it must be a licensing issue.

@SOT,

Which pullmans are they. I remember the first one I had was Ruth bought second hand. In theory it should still be wrapped up in tissue, sealed in a box with some triang shoert Mk1s in my parents coal shed.