Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

... To much damage has been obtained, so I will have to resell him on eBay ...

I would go back to the seller and ask for a refund.  Damage usually (not always of course), occurs due to poor packaging.  You risk bad feedback yourself by selling a damaged item, even if you think you have described the damage fully.

@walkingthedog and RDS

I contacted the seller and they won't let me return it to them, however, they gave me a refund of £5.00 back so, when I resell it, I going to have to try and make back the other £15.00, so I don't lose out.

It's such a shame though, becuase the 0-4-0 Thomas' are rare and hard to find good condition one's. The damaged one I have was the best in eBay. It was new, never been ran and undamaged, before it got dispatched into the world of Royal Mail. I don't think I will be able to get another now.

You won't Jacob. Ebay pride themselves in helping buyers get a good deal. If the seller won't give you a complete refund ebay will sort it. Take my word for it.

It is the sellers responsibility to ensure the item is well packed. They should refund you in full then if they wish they can try and get a refund from Royal Mail or who ever damaged the parcel.

That is a risk though, a buyer takes when buying over the Internet. The item might not be in as good condition as the seller describes and that the risk a buyer will take. This are things that every buyer will take by chance and one day it will go wrong, like I had today.

I just hope I will be able to shift it on, for more than £15.00, so I don't lose out on the cost of the loco, postage and eBay fees. Might be tricky though, being that there is damage.

Jacob if you are not going to take the advice given why did you tell us about it. Take it up with ebay. If you don't people on here are going to starrt ignoring your posts. The person who sent you the item packed it incorrectly. How are they going to learn from their mistake if you don't do something about it. It will happen again to somebody else.  😮

Sorry for telling you guys, but you are right. It could have been packaged up better. It was sent in one of those Sealed Air parcel encelopes. It's a tight fit in there, for Thomas, look at the width of him and he was wrapped up in some bubble wrap, but that wasn't sellotaped together. It could have been done a lot better than it was. I would have prefered it, to have been sent in a cardboard box, than this.

Jacob, I recently bought a loco from an ebay seller which I had to return because it didn't run properly. The seller did not state it was a non runner but just said it was in good condition. Stupidly I didn't ask about it's working condition when I bought it. He agreed a refund but wouldn't follow the correct procedure for returning which to cut a long story short would have left me at risk of losing out on the return postage. I contacted ebay and the matter was (eventually) resolved with the seller paying for the postage. Why should I have to pay the return postage (seller was also insisting on 1st Class!!) on something that doen't work?? The point I'm trying to make is that ebay are very good at resolving issues like yours. They probably deal with the exact same problem hundreds of times a day! Take pics of the packaging and just explain whats happened. Ebay are customer friendly and should be seen as being like a friend rather than something fearful. They will contact the seller to hear their side of the story but I'm sure they will resolve the matter in your favour as they always have done for myself. If the seller give you negative feedback so what? You can do the same in return with an explanation. Let them do it first though! Don't be tempted to keep it - 'cos you won't get enough to cover the original cost if it's damaged. Another will definitely come along in time!

I recently bought a Hornby R3384TTS BR 4-6-0 'King George I' 6000 King Class, Late BR with TTS Sound and very pleased I am with it too. At 109GBP from Rails of Sheffield I thought this was a real bargain. It's not a Railroad model so has a lot of detail, runs well and the TTS sound is pretty good. Not quite as effective as the sound on Gadwall, I don't think but I am sure I can improve it by tweaking the sound balances. 

Just bought a hot air soldering gun, with this description:

The sensor closed path, microcomputer zero crossing triggering controls warm, the power is big, the LED numerical code demonstrated that the elevation of temperature is rapid, temperature precise stable, is not left the wind influence, realizes the non-lead sealing off really really.

Translation - it probably works and shows some numbers on the screen.

• Air current quantity adjustable, and the amount of wind the wind is greatly gentle, the temperature control is convenient, may adapt the multiple functions; Translation - you can adjust the fan and the temperature.
  • The system is equipped with the automatic cold wind function, may lengthen the heating element life and protect the hot air gun. Translation - it has an automatic cooling cycle to extend the heating element life.
  • Uses the original installation import not to brush the air blower life to be extremely long, the noise is minimum, uses the high quality heating device, the efficiency may enhance one time under the same power, lengthens the heating device working life effectively and saves the power source. Translation - I have absolutely no idea, but I don't think its noisy.
  • The fuselage exquisite, is durable, is artistic.; Blows the shielded box not to change color, is quickly convenient; Blows welds the line board not to bubble. Translation - off course it is and of course it does or doesn't as applicable.

At the time of selection it seemed to be superior to its rivals based upon the above, but apart from that it works absolutely fine and for 30 quid its a bargain. It actually solders as well.

/media/tinymce_upload/56403e7600bbe4d57a81c167ecb044fa.PNG

Rob

As mentioned earlier the loco turned out to be a non runner so was not as advertised.......not my fault, it was the seller's hence the need for him to pay for the return of the item and this is how ebay see things too. Thing is Jacob he said he needed it returned quicky as he was going on hols and didn't want to wait untill after he came back. Hence the demand for me to send via first class postage. BUT although willing to refund  the cost of the loco he was reluctant to foot the bill for the postage. He made no promise to refund me the postage and I'm afraid to say I didn't trust him to pay me it after he received the loco back! Ebay were duly involved and the matter was quickly resolved. I tried pursuading him to pay for postage before I returned the loco but he wouldn't agree to it and I didn't want to risk losing my money. Also, he said there wouldn't be anybody at home to receive the parcel but it turned out his sister was staying at his house while he was away so.........he was just mucking me about really and trying to wriggle out of the mailing cost.