Wishlist 2017 and beyond

Leigh Terry

Classic British aircraft, where there are holes in the 1/48th scale market...

Tempest: The AMT kit is an old, dead loss. The Eduard kit is flawed and now hard to find. Imagine a good Tempest kit with options for MkII engine and MkVI wings. A fabulous kit that would become the go-to Tempest on the market.

Spitfire: Not another one! But the Mk XIV/XVIII is poorly served. The Academy Mk XIV kit is poorly dimensioned and there are no Mk XVIII kits - and finding a resin rudder to convert one is difficult. So a nice Mk XIVe/XVIII kit with plenty of decal options - post war, Palestine etc, with a larger rudder option would be fabulous. Or even a high-back XIVc based on the lovely MkXIX kit would be good.

Hawker Hunter: Hard to find the Italeri/Academy kit - but it too has issues. Having just released a fine kit of the Meteor, how about a good Hunter with plenty of options for different versions - a pointed nose for WB188, or even a twin seat nose option like that provided on the old 1/72 Matchbox kit?

Between the wars biplanes are not easy to find either. You've re-released the Hawker Fury a few times so it must sell ok, and I have two to build in the stash. But it's an old kit now. So how about a Siskin, Bulldog, Grebe and Gamecock plus an updated new Fury or a Hind, Hart, Demon or Audax?

Good ideas, like the Hunter could go alongside the Meteor, but there is one problem,

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPITFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

NO NOT NOW ,DON'T CARE ABOUT IT, NEVER SHALL  I BUY A SPITFIRE AGAIN AND YOU SHOULD ALL TAKE THAT VOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS. I still think Airfix will pull something out of the 1/24 hat for Spitfire's 80th birthday in 2018. IE a new tool Spit 😮

SHUT UP, NO SPITS EVER ,NOT NOW ,NEVER!

😆 but they call to me in the night, just like the lambs 😉

PS. I still think Airfix will pull something out of the 1/24 hat for Spitfire's 80th birthday in 2018. IE a new tool Spit 😮

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🫨

realy?????????? can you guys stop quarelling

ah, we're only jesting, F111C dude-please don't stress 😎 model making is meant to be fun and definitely not about quarelling. Life's too short! 😀 but a little joviality here and there is part of the course 😉

Well said, coundn't have put it better myself.

1:24 Triumph Spitfire. That'll do for me.

Trouble is Spitfires is what Airfix is most famous for! 

By the way, I do enjoy a good spitfire, I have over 30 built up in my collection, with at least another 3 in the stash (Mk XII, PR XIX and 1/48 Mk Vb). Now Airfix how about a PR X or XI, and decent Mk XIV or XVIII or any Seafire (all in 1/72 of course). Oh No I've turned the thread into a wish list again!

Ps. Guy a couple of houses down the road has got a Triumph Spitfire, which he is restoring on the roadside.

actualy, i wouldent mind a 1/24 spitfire in raaf darwin livery

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/b70d9423d45eb25d0e29df7e56d44340.png

...and a 1:24 Triumph GT6...

Well, I can certainly live without Spitfires, BF-109s & every other done to death already WWII subject. In fact, not only would I love for 2017 to be a TOTALLY SPITFIRE-FREE YEAR!!! 😛, I would go even further and ask for a TOTALLY WWII FREE YEAR!.. There does seem however to be a very heavy bias towards aviation related subjects with maybe just a token vehicle or ship thrown in for good measure (Yes, yes. I KNOW these wingy things are supposed to be the most popular subjects!!)

However,would it hurt to show a bit of imagination for once? Eschew the standard 1/72 aircraft fare and branch out into a decent range of 1/350 WWII warships or (heaven forbid!) a brand new range of OO/HO railway locomotives. Offhand, I could probably count on no fingers at all the number of current manufacturers that produces a range of the latter - especially British diesel rolling stock. Now, before you all quote "Revell" or "Dapol" at me, I am aware that the former has produced a few items but, the latter is mainly 60s Airfix kits

Alan

However,would it hurt to show a bit of imagination for once?

Anyone can come up with imaginative subjects, but if it doesn't sell, what's the point?

a brand new range of OO/HO railway locomotives. Offhand, I could probably count on no fingers at all the number of current manufacturers that produces a range of the latter - especially British diesel rolling stock.

You've answered your own question. There so product out there because no one percieves a demand for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1/72

Westland Wasp & Scout

Westland Whirlwind Helicopter Several mks

Avro Vulcan with full bombay

HS Buccaneer RN & RAF

Jaguar GR1/3  T2

Blackburn Beverley

A W Argosy

HS Andover

Hawker Hunter Early and late mks + T7

Gloster Javelin  Several versions

Canberra B2  B(i)6

Wildcat

Hasting

Ships 1/350

HMS Antrim  early and late

Type 21 Frigate

Type 42 Destroyer

Leander and all the mods

HMS Fearless

HMS Victorious WW2 and 60'S

Hms Hermes 

I think HMAS Melbourne was only about half the size of HMS Victorious, so from a modelling point of view a conversion would be a bit unpractical. Melbourne was a Majestic class light carrier, Victorious was an Illustrious class fleet carrier, I think both were in service at the same time during the Fifties and Sixties. It would be good to see Victorious back in the Airfix catalogue.

Archived