Wishlist 2017 and beyond

Leigh Terry

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An affordable new tool 1/72 Vought F4U Corsair would not be a bad idea at all, especially with folded wings option.

The Revell kit turned out to be a lemon (= too long aft fuselage) and white polystyrene is nasty to paint. The old Airfix kit is both dated and incorrect and covered with rivets better suitable for a truss bridge. So a new Airfix Corsair would be a top seller. Besides that, there are no folded wings 1/72 Corsair kits available.

Perhaps it could have decals for USN, USMC and Fleet Air Arm?

A few I would like to see:

1:72nd Scale

HS P1127 New Tool preferablly one of the surviving original 6 prototypes (XP-836 as I helped restore her)

HS P1127 Kestrel (as far as I'm aware it's never been produced)

Vickers Wellesley (first use of geodetic framing by Barnes Wallace)

Lockheed Hudson

1:48 Scale

Vickers Wellington

HS Harrier T2 or T4

1:24 Scale

Sopwith Pup

Hawker Hurricane New Tool (time to upgrade the old girl)

Hawker Sea Hawk 

@"Joe Carter"

"Rover 3500" - Do you mean a P5B (in which case saloon or coupe?), P6B or SD1? Of those the only one I can think has ever been kitted is a Heller 1/43 scale kit of the SD1.

For the product planners, the P6B and SD1 both offer the prospect of doing Police cars as well as standard saloons. Just take note that most of the Metropolitan Police SD1s were supplied or retro-fitted with Minilite wheels for better brake cooling.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a new tool Arado ar 196 floatplane in 1/72?

Nothing really available aside from the old Heller kit, or a pricey limited run kit from Sword.

Revell did one in 1/72 and 1/32. You can also cheat and get the Oxford diecast one like I did. The old Airfix one also still stands up really well and goes together like a treat.

Revell's 1/72 offering is a rebox of the Heller kit that I mentioned that dates back to 1979. Airfix's dates back to 1966! Neither of which seem to be readily available in the Antipodes without paying exorbitant prices for postage. Sword's kit even more so.

The 1/32 from Revell, while being fairly new, is not the scale in question here.

Old doesn't make it a bad kit. The old Matchbox Swordfish is much better than the new tool Airfix Swordfish for example. You mustn't be looking too hard for it because I just did a quick check and found plenty but as you seem snarky I won't bother trying to help you anymore. 

Sorry if I came across as Snarky-not my intent. Living in Australia has a certain disadvantage in that P+H costs are often more than the price of the kit. So it is with the Arado, as most of those available are overseas. So for me, having built a number of older as well as the newer kits, I can honestly say I prefer the much newer tooled kits especially when factoring in P+H. Fit is better, more details, no raised panel lines etc.

Having said all that, my original post was merely a suggestion to Airfix that perhaps an opportunity exists in the market to update a subject that currently is only represented by very old tooling.

I note that one or two people here are Australian. Great stuff, but why aren't you campaigning for a DHA Drover?, a strange request maybe but to the best of my Knowledge no-one has ever produced this in injection moulded form before. A truly unique kit from Airfix, that could be sold as such.

It would slot neatly along side the 1/72 range of Airfix commercial transports i.e. DC3, F27, Superfrieghter etc.

That's my choice, a DHA Drover in 1/72 (But it must be the Gipsy Major engined version NOT the DHA3 with the Lycoming/Continental engines).

A fitting tribute to the Royal Flying Doctor Service during the 1950's .    

True that, Oldspike, there's a few of Antipodeans here abouts-the red box brand is quite popular in the land downunder 😆

I have to admit I'd never heard of the DHA Drover until you mentioned it and Wikipedia shows only 20 were built-might be a bit too niche for the folks at Airfix.

To me, what is more appealing as an Aussie with Brit heritage is seeing types such as the Spitfire (MkVIII), Bristol Beaufighter, Mossie, Walrus and also the Mustang and P40M/N released with Aussie markings to allow us to build not only RAF types but also RAAF units...

Hence my "nagging" when it comes to an all new Spit tooling in 1/24 that can eventually come down the line as a Mk VIII 😆 done to the standard of the excellent Tiffy-mmm

Coudn't agree more RussellE, y'know Frog went down this road in the late sixties/early seventies. They produced a Beaufort, Beaufighter and a Mosquito with SEAC markings but as you say it would be good to see a P51 and others with the famous "Red 'roo" within the roundel. 😎

I note that one or two people here are Australian. Great stuff, but why aren't you campaigning for a DHA Drover?, a strange request maybe but to the best of my Knowledge no-one has ever produced this in injection moulded form before. A truly unique kit from Airfix, that could be sold as such.

It would slot neatly along side the 1/72 range of Airfix commercial transports i.e. DC3, F27, Superfrieghter etc.

That's my choice, a DHA Drover in 1/72 (But it must be the Gipsy Major engined version NOT the DHA3 with the Lycoming/Continental engines).

Although there are plenty of subjects I would like to see produced I keep in mind that Airfix is a "mainstream" company so it will aim for subjects that are widely known and in demand. I am not knocking the DH Drover as a request, I just think you would have more luck requesting that from a smaller company that produce niche market type subjects. 

Although there are plenty of subjects I would like to see produced I keep in mind that Airfix is a "mainstream" company so it will aim for subjects that are widely known and in demand. I am not knocking the DH Drover as a request, I just think you would have more luck requesting that from a smaller company that produce niche market type subjects. 

Whilst the DHA Drover would possibly qualify as a niche product, I think we have approached a situation where the amount of mainstream products are becoming harder to identify as being worthy of new tooling. just about everything that is well known has been tooled by some kit manufacturer. Many years ago Airfix produced a 1/72 Piper Cherokee. Perhaps better known than a Drover but not something the average modeller would rush out to buy. It's been some time since Airfix produced a low cost model aircraft kit which was different, novel and captured the curiousity factor.

The majority of model buyers these days are not the younger generation, they're more my level of 'maturity' (I'm old y'see) and as such have the money to afford these things. The latest Victor is not a pocket money kit, so we oldies buy them. We also remember such aircraft as the Drover. 

Whilst the DHA Drover would possibly qualify as a niche product, I think we have approached a situation where the amount of mainstream products are becoming harder to identify as being worthy of new tooling. just about everything that is well known has been tooled by some kit manufacturer. Many years ago Airfix produced a 1/72 Piper Cherokee. Perhaps better known than a Drover but not something the average modeller would rush out to buy. It's been some time since Airfix produced a low cost model aircraft kit which was different, novel and captured the curiousity factor.

The majority of model buyers these days are not the younger generation, they're more my level of 'maturity' (I'm old y'see) and as such have the money to afford these things. The latest Victor is not a pocket money kit, so we oldies buy them. We also remember such aircraft as the Drover. 

I too miss the days of diverse subjects being available. I have a rather large stash so when I see yet another Wildcat or Spitfire, F-4 Phantom etc etc I tend to be rather indifferent. Little additions like folding wings and what not don't inspire me to buy a new tool kit unless I am lacking that subject. 

As Airfix have already produced new tool He-111 & Do-17 in 1/72 it would make sense to release a Ju-88A1 to complete the Battle of Britain trio of Luftwaffe bombers. Especially as no other manufacturers make an A1.

Again in 1/72 there is a big gap in the market for a MiG-17 & MiG-19. Both important cold war types that are poorly served and only available from limited run companies. I should think the MiG-19 would be a good seller in China as they built more than anyone else. The first Soviet supersonic jet too.

Another cold war warrior is the Northrop F-5 family. The only modern option for the F-5e in 1/72 is the hobbyboss rip off of the old Italeri kit. Although this has recessed panel lines HB seem to have broken the canopy in some way. Odd when the italeri one was ok! It should be possible to do the whole F-5 family by having fuselage, wing and nose options on separate sprues. Again a type used widely around the world so lots of marking options.The same could be said for the Mirage III family too. Long overdue for a new tool with plenty of marking options.

How about a new tool Gloster Javelin. Quintessentially British. I'd love to see a MiG-19 v Javelin dogfight double.  😎

As for the Spitfire in 1/72, I think Airfix have missed the boat on this one as Kp released a very good new tool Mk Vb last year and Eduard have cornered the Mk VIIIIX market. That still leaves the Mk XIV Griffon versions that need tooling and as Airfix already do a Mk XIX & Mk F.22 they should be in a good position to fill this hole in the market.

Just my two penneth worth.

Flying Doctors on TV ........... dear me .. I really am ancient!

Exactly, "The Flying Doctor", one of those old early sixties black and white TV shows after the 6 o'clock news. It actually featured a Drover. This must not be confused with "The Flying Doctors" wich appeared in the late eighties which featured half the cast of "Neighbours" and flew a GAF Nomad!

Er....no not a model of a Nomad, I'm not advocating that! 🫨    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Could we (ok me) have a New Tool Spitfire Vb in 1/72?

also, in 1/72  New Tool releases of a Bf 109 f, a rework of the Bf 109 g, A Fiat G 50, Macchi 200, infact any Italan aircraft possible, Ok, my personal interest is early to mid war in the Mediterranean.

But, from a commercial point of view both the Fiat 50 and Macchi 200 are not well represented by other manufacturers so should be profitable.

Also a Sea Gladatior, Beaufighter Mk 1 and a Beaufort Mk1/2 (how could such an important aircraft be so totaly neglected by mainstream manufacturers?)

And while I'm really fantasizing, a Martin Maryland and Fairey Albacore!

• 2 months later...

I would like to see these done REALLY WELL in 1/48:

- Spitfire XIV 

- late war Mosquito IV and VI (for a start) with two stage merlin engines and separately molded control surfaces and flaps (but at least flaps!) - it's about time, don't you think?

I would like to see these done REALLY WELL in 1/48:

- Spitfire XIV 

- late war Mosquito IV and VI (for a start) with two stage merlin engines and separately molded control surfaces and flaps (but at least flaps!) - it's about time, don't you think?

A full list of which Mossies had single stage and 2-stage engines would take a fair bit of reading to produce. Wikipedia suggests that all B-IV and FB-VI had single stage Merlins. The PR-VIII, B-IX, and NF-30 variants had 2 stage Merlins though, and I agree the logic of offering some never before kitted 2 stage variants.

New tool Fiat G.50 "Freccia" and/or Macchi C.200 "Saetta" would be warmly welcome. The existing Airfix Fiat G.50 is fifty years old and has several shape and dimension errors (fortunately no rivets!) and the Revell Saetta is even older.  Italeri, Tamiya and Hasegawa have good C.202 Folgore and C.205 Veltro kits, which are available. But I would like to see both G.50 Freccia and C.200 Saetta with new molds.

Archived