Wishlist 2017 and beyond

Leigh Terry

I am very interested to Airfix continue with its rennaisance and came up with some predictions based on current madels, releases and the strategy of replacing our lovely old 2 Bob kits.  I came up with this list for 2017.  Here it is, just for fun.  The plan would be to add a couple of extra parts and new decals to some of the new releases.  Some new tools, too.  This would allow the existing new tools to produce new versions of these aircraft.  Sometimes just new decals would do.

Only guessed a few.   😎

1/72 AVRO Shackleton AEW2       New Parts 3 Featured Aircraft

1/48 Hawker Sea Hurricane       New Decals

1/48 B P Defiant NF1        New Decals

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in 1/72

Sea Vixen

Venom/Sea Venom

Skyaider AEW

Avro Lincoln

Supermaine Scimitar

All English, none of have been produced by a major player (at least recently) and would all be sought after subjects.

I would go for all of those, probably with the exception of the Sea Vixen, as I already have one from Xtrakit (Cyber-Hobby also have one but has a funny nose and very expensive). I think an AEW Skyraider may also be available from Magna Models in resin and Scale Wings, but these are hard to get hold of, and I would go for Airfix.

Come on Airfix, we really need a good family of Venoms and how many times has the Lincoln been requested ( and the Mancester to complete the family).

All in 1/72

Sea Vixen

Venom/Sea Venom

Skyaider AEW

Avro Lincoln

Supermaine Scimitar

All English, none of have been produced by a major player (at least recently) and would all be sought after subjects.

I would go for all of those, probably with the exception of the Sea Vixen, as I already have one from Xtrakit (Cyber-Hobby also have one but has a funny nose and very expensive). I think an AEW Skyraider may also be available from Magna Models in resin and Scale Wings, but these are hard to get hold of, and I would go for Airfix.

Come on Airfix, we really need a good family of Venoms and how many times has the Lincoln been requested ( and the Mancester to complete the family).

Yep, as I mentioned elsewhere on here I feel Airfix are missing the point by releasing the same old subjects that have been released by others recently and/or a while back and still stand the test of time. I won't be buying anything from this years releases as I have them all albeit from other providers. 

I didn't buy much from the 2016 releases either. 

A lot of us already have huge stashes, to entice us to buy they need to offer us something we don't have and something we are really hanging out for!

How about a new tool Arado ar 196 floatplane in 1/72?

Nothing really available aside from the old Heller kit, or a pricey limited run kit from Sword.

Revell did one in 1/72 and 1/32. You can also cheat and get the Oxford diecast one like I did. The old Airfix one also still stands up really well and goes together like a treat.

Nothing really available aside from the old Heller kit, or a pricey limited run kit from Sword.

Revell did one in 1/72 and 1/32. You can also cheat and get the Oxford diecast one like I did. The old Airfix one also still stands up really well and goes together like a treat.

Revell's 1/72 offering is a rebox of the Heller kit that I mentioned that dates back to 1979. Airfix's dates back to 1966! Neither of which seem to be readily available in the Antipodes without paying exorbitant prices for postage. Sword's kit even more so.

The 1/32 from Revell, while being fairly new, is not the scale in question here.

In light of the fact that the Ju87B Stuka has just been release in 1:48, my personal wish would be for a 1:24 version :) Perhaps it is a bit soon to be thinking of such, however

There is a 1/24 version, A18002A. It's just not available on the website at the moment, however I see it's still readily available at most LHS! 😀

Revell's 1/72 offering is a rebox of the Heller kit that I mentioned that dates back to 1979. Airfix's dates back to 1966! Neither of which seem to be readily available in the Antipodes without paying exorbitant prices for postage. Sword's kit even more so.

The 1/32 from Revell, while being fairly new, is not the scale in question here.

Old doesn't make it a bad kit. The old Matchbox Swordfish is much better than the new tool Airfix Swordfish for example. You mustn't be looking too hard for it because I just did a quick check and found plenty but as you seem snarky I won't bother trying to help you anymore. 

Old doesn't make it a bad kit. The old Matchbox Swordfish is much better than the new tool Airfix Swordfish for example. You mustn't be looking too hard for it because I just did a quick check and found plenty but as you seem snarky I won't bother trying to help you anymore. 

Just how is the old Matchbox swordfish better than the new tool Airfix kit? I've built both, plus the old Frog and Airfix ones and the new tool Airfix is better by miles in my opinion. Has it got better overall dimensions, as I'm not a rivet counter?

@Pretty Mediocre Modeler - I'm not a rivet counter and am also a "pretty mediocre modeler" I like kits that are relatively simple and go together without much fuss. The Matchbox kit did that well for me, especially given it is a biplane. The new tool Airfix one on the other hand was a waste, the cockpit was very over the top and as I didn't seem to align it 100% it stops the fuselage being glued together.

So it is a taste thing I guess. I also have the Frog one which I haven't built yet and the older Airfix one. I guess for me Airfix is about simplicity, the Swordfish reminded me of the Concorde kit, over the top and difficult to build.

Sorry if I came across as Snarky-not my intent. Living in Australia has a certain disadvantage in that P+H costs are often more than the price of the kit. So it is with the Arado, as most of those available are overseas. So for me, having built a number of older as well as the newer kits, I can honestly say I prefer the much newer tooled kits especially when factoring in P+H. Fit is better, more details, no raised panel lines etc.

Having said all that, my original post was merely a suggestion to Airfix that perhaps an opportunity exists in the market to update a subject that currently is only represented by very old tooling.

Pretty simple really, an Avro Lincoln, a HP 42 Heracles and a Shorts Empire class flying boat, in 1/72 scale. Everyone wants a retooled Vulcan, but none of these aircraft are covered by any manufacturer in 1/72, and all are four engined beauties. Oh, and if I really push the boat out, ahem, a HMS Agincourt super dreanought in 1/350. Seven turrets, what's not to like?

1/48 Hawker Hunter

1/48 Supermarine Swift

1/48 Handley Page Halifax III

1/48 Douglas A-1E Skyraider

1/48 Boulton-Paul Defiant

1/48 Blackburn Skua

1/48 Westland Whirlwind

1/48 Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

1/48 Lockheed Hudson

1/48 Illyushin Il-28

1/72 Rockwell B-1B (accurate one)

1/72 Retooled Avro Vulcan

1/24 Lockheed P-38L

1/24 Grumman F4F-4

1/24 Curtiss P-40E

1/24 Grumman TBF-1C Avenger

A1-E Spad - Is that Korean War vintage?

Yes it is, but it would have been called an AD-5 back then (Midnight Blue scheme), it's also Vietnam vintage and would have been A-1E then, and could be Navy (light grey and white scheme) or airforce (South East Asia scheme).

The Royal Navy also operated a AEW version called the AD-4W or Skyraider AEW 1

A1-E Spad - Is that Korean War vintage?

Yes it is, but it would have been called an AD-5 back then (Midnight Blue scheme), it's also Vietnam vintage and would have been A-1E then, and could be Navy (light grey and white scheme) or airforce (South East Asia scheme).

The Royal Navy also operated a AEW version called the AD-4W or Skyraider AEW 1

Thanks; I've built a bunch of Vietnam era machines down the years, and really want at least one Korean War aircraft.

The idea of an RN AEW-1 also appeals!

Archived