How do you store your locos, wagons and coaches?

Castle-Man

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess what, if you go to a pizza shop and ask, they will happily give you some new unused boxes. 

I never thought to think that, but how would you know they would give you one? Wouldn't they expect you to buy one, then they would be happy to give you an unused box?

you would probably htoe to go to your local pizza takeaway hungry, in preparation that you will have to buy something, just in case they won't let you take a box away, for nothing.

Guess what, if you go to a pizza shop and ask, they will happily give you some new unused boxes. 

Nice bit of lateral thinking there WTD.

...not the thin crust boxes, I need the deep pan ones.

The height of pizza boxes are the same, mate  😀. They just supply different sizes, depending on the size of pizza you buy.

If the loco's are not in use they are kept in their original boxes - safest place?

A tip for getting things out of boxes without damaging the boxes.

1. Do not use just your fingers. This will invariably tear the end flap. A torn box is of no value so you may as well rip the end flap off to make it easier next time.

2. Slip a ruler (plastic or metal) under the flap and ease the flap open using it. This will keep your boxes in perfect condition for the eventual day when your kids flog them on fleabay to recoup their inheritance.

Rob

I've been doing this for years Rob - I don't like torn boxes!

But pizza boxs are thin ish and will take one layer of wagons so you can stack them. My main problem is the number of boxes containing the original boxes. Trains and aircraft. Might need a bigger attic  🤔

Tehy are thin, however, the boxes I get from my day's work hold x500 A4 pieces of paper, so I can lie the rolling stock on it's side perfectly, without them gettung damaged when the lid goes on.

I dont see any point in boxing up your trains etc. Everything i have, is on show. Once you start boxing up and storing, they dont get used. My wife collects Lamp Bergers. She constantly uses different ones. All on display. I understand space may be at a premium, but there are always ways to display. My mother collected Piggy banks, 294 of them, i put up high out of the way shelves, for her, in most rooms, hall, stairs etc. She would not hear of putting them out of sight. john

I agree John. All my locos are on the layout or on display. Haven't got room to display the rolling stock but I do change it regularly otherwise I might just as well sell it. 

Thinking about it I do have plenty of shelf space on one wall but the stuff would just get dusty, and they are covered in all sorts of things, containers of glue, wheels, bits of this and even more bits of that.  😆

Howbiman, Gosh, what a sheltered life.  Lamp Bergers, are French, but sold all over the world. Very sought after, and collectable.  Its basically a shaped container which holds a sweet smelling oil, into which, dangles a wick. On the top, is a stone. You light the stone, leave for 5 mins, blow out, and the smell lingers for about an hour. Heather always uses for dinner parties. These can fetch a fortune. We have about 40 ish, at present, collected from Car boots, Vide Grenier, to the french. john

Archived