What do you want as kits in 2019?

Ratch

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a confirmed 1/48 scale modeller & recognising Airfix's history with the Spitfire, may we please have a Spitfire XIV? Hi-back & bubble top would both be good (and relatively easy; viz the XIX) & would fill a yawning chasm in the range as well as replace the very old Academy offerings. While I'm at it, what about a Westland Whirlwind & a Tempest V? I won't ask for a Martin Baker Mk.V (although you could twist my arm!).

Being a confirmed 1/48 scale modeller & recognising Airfix's history with the Spitfire, may we please have a Spitfire XIV? Hi-back & bubble top would both be good (and relatively easy; viz the XIX) & would fill a yawning chasm in the range as well as replace the very old Academy offerings. While I'm at it, what about a Westland Whirlwind & a Tempest V? I won't ask for a Martin Baker Mk.V (although you could twist my arm!).

All this I did n't know. Thank you. 

OK, now explain to me how the fact that some kits were released in Airfix boxes changes which manufacturer the tool belongs to.

I didn't say it did change the manufacturer did I? Airfix bought many kits from other manufacturers and put them into Airfix boxes. MPC, Gunze Sangyo, Max, Italeri, Heller to name a few. The kit may be in an Airfix box but its still a Heller kit and if Airfix wanted to put it back in the range they'd have to come to an arrangement with Heller. Hornby doesn't seem to like the policy of selling other manufacturer's kits currently though.

I returned to the hobby relatively recently and have been happy to just build whatever the kids buy me at xmas & for my birthday, unfortunately a lot have these kits were produced my another mfr whose name begins with 'R'. The reason the kids go for these is because they're more up to date - F16s (yes I know they're over 30 years old), A400M, F35, and Typhoon. And I really do have too many Spits hanging up. So here's my wishlist:

RAF F35B - 1/72 & 1/48

A400M - 1/72

Grob Tutor

Also - I have a couple of those flat pack bookshelf thingies that make up into four shelves, attached to the wall in my 'office' where I display some of my finished kits - it would me great to replace the wooden background with the interior of a hangar...

How about the Scimitar, in any scale.  This aircraft is almost wholly ignored and neglected with only one expensive version available in 1/72.  There are 'undreds of versions of Spitfires and Harriers etc., so a "new" important aircraft from the Royal Navy would be appreciated.

Here goes:

I'd love to see a Canberra T17 and/or TT18

An F111E re-issue would be great.

A version of the new Phantom as an RF4C with Alconbury markings.

Finally, a re-issue of the Whirlwind helicopter as RAF SAR yellow or RN jungly.

Preferrably 1/72 scale, thanks!

Here goes:

I'd love to see a Canberra T17 and/or TT18

An F111E re-issue would be great.

A version of the new Phantom as an RF4C with Alconbury markings.

Finally, a re-issue of the Whirlwind helicopter as RAF SAR yellow or RN jungly.

Preferrably 1/72 scale, thanks!

Having seen an airworthy canberra tt18 last week (although it was grounded for maintenence) i would also like to see one released, preferably in 1/72

Actually, it would take some thought as to tool design, but the Westland Whirlwind (helicopter) is very under-represented generally, and off the top of my head I can come up with UK versions as RAF SAR (yellow), RN SAR (blue and red), RN admiral's barge "green parrot" and a Junglie. US Coastguard and civvie with wheels or pontoons. You get the idea; there are lots of possibilities although I suspect a need for at least 2 fuselages and tail booms.

Actually, it would take some thought as to tool design, but the Westland Whirlwind (helicopter) is very under-represented generally, and off the top of my head I can come up with UK versions as RAF SAR (yellow), RN SAR (blue and red), RN admiral's barge "green parrot" and a Junglie. US Coastguard and civvie with wheels or pontoons. You get the idea; there are lots of possibilities although I suspect a need for at least 2 fuselages and tail booms.

Look at the Corgi Whirlwinds, to date they have done HAS,7 ,Royal Navy, for this you need deep floor with torpedo compartment, canked tail,piston nose .

/media/tinymce_upload/c0741e5e2758a306397990f7c426c06e.JPG

HAR.10, shallow floor, turbine nose, cranked tail.

/media/tinymce_upload/fc6bd04c4b7c1c1d8cd1dbeadbb4a262.JPG

HC.10, 230 sqn as above.

/media/tinymce_upload/4ca589f7b5c96d9e59f0b89f27cb03bd.JPG

HC.10 Cyprus

/media/tinymce_upload/124af1b7a8a947abf7034e03c38ef524.JPG

HMS Protector HAR.1 , piston, nose straight tail ,shallow floor ,flotation gear .

/media/tinymce_upload/b3bbe4345cb1ee827d9fb47906be0889.jpg

For US versions the nose has slightly different nose vents so that is another variation of the nose tooling.

I would love to see Airfix return to sailing ship modeling.  They once led the world in this category but have stagnated since the early 1970s.  And, I am not desirous of simply reboxing old kits; I mean, who does not have the Airfix HMS Victory (at least among ship modelers!)?  Yet, they occassionally release old kits with the expectation that we would be so grateful that we will purchase yet again a model we already have.  When we don't buy, they react by claiming that there is no interest.  The interest is there but not for tired old products!

That said, I would love to see any one of the following in either 1/180 or 1/144 scale:

HMS Agamemnon (Nelson's favorite)

HMS Vanguard (Nelson's flagship at the Battle of the Nile)

HMS Queen Charlotte (Rodney's flagship for several key battles)

HMS Shannon (Defeated USS Chesapeake in 1813, ending the Royal Navy's string of frigate losses)

Bill Morrison

If Airfix were to make a new sailing ship I think it more likely that they'd make the Mary Rose in a larger scale (1/144 or 1/72) or HMS Warrior, and id they made that 1/180 it would sit nicely alongside Victory 😆

I would like to see the 1/72 F-86 EM/F kit back dated with the short chord/short span/slatted wing to allow building F-86 A, E, Canadair Sabre 2, and as-built Sabre 4 aircraft. Slats should be separate for open or closed positions

I could get on board with this idea; The existing kit design means that all that's needed is new main planes, gun bay doors and maybe flat rather than dihedral elevators to produce any 6-gun F-86.