oo vs ho

Old Bob

Yes, it's the same track.........HB

Standard gauge track is 4' 8 1/2 " which when scaled @ 1:87 (HO) = 16.495mm ....16.5mm as produced..........same track is used for OO but is not to scale as rolling stock is at a scale of 1:76

Yes, it's the same track.........HB

Standard gauge track is 4' 8 1/2 " which when scaled @ 1:87 (HO) = 16.495mm ....16.5mm as produced..........same track is used for OO but is not to scale as rolling stock is at a scale of 1:76

Thanks for that . Must check my bank balance !

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, OO Gauge and HO locomotives run on the same track. It's just scale is the difference between the two. The track is the same. Has the same distance of space between each rail, regardless whether or not the track you have, was sold as OO or as HO.

I have several HO locomotives and rolling stock and they all run on my PECO OO Gauge track with no problems, at all.

GNR-Gordon-4

• 5 months later...

The problem with running HO scale CIWLsleeping  carriages with an OO scale Lord Nelson is that the loco will tower over them (in dimensional  terms HO carriages are 4.5 mm too narrow,  6.5 mm too squat and 30 mm too short [12.5%], than they would be if made to proper 4mm scale)  . Now you may find that to be acceptable but if I were to do it I would notice it and it would irritate me, so  I would regard them as 'awful' .

I live in hope that one day somebody will make a reasonably priced version of the CIWL Ferry Sleepers in 4mm scale (Ideally Hornby because they already make the appropriate locomorives to haul them (Lord Nelson, Battle of Britain, Air Smoothed Merchant Navy, 2550hp type HA Bo-Bo electric (AKA class 71)). Some were sold by one of the magazines a few years ago but as  I recall they were very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

@Friendly Fryer

Not quite a Lord Nelson and CIWL, but a Jubilee and 1928 Rhinegold coach....

/media/tinymce_upload/67fc87aa833a4cc3286c8bcc74e52523.JPG

This will give you some idea of what your proposed combination will look like before you buy anything. The larger load gauge of the European railway stock goes some way towards mitigating the scale difference.

As the other guys said, its your choice.

I have a mixture of both really. The Bachmann Thomas range is listed as HO, but the majority of the rolling stock has been taken from the UK Bachmann Branch-Line range, but have been toned down a lot, detail wise. As for the locomotives, they are very HO and agaist the Hornby locomotives which are OO, you do really notice the height difference, when together.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 1 month later...

I have 2 lima Sets (which me Dad gave me when I was about 8 yrs old) & on both sets it says H0 Scale & also 1 Airfix Set which say 00 Scale (which also me Dad gave me when I was about 8 yrs old) & I've been mixing the locos & Track for years now!!!

I bought a oo gauge Lima Class 33 from ebay. When it arrived it turned out to be HO! Contacted the seller who had no idea and apologized for the mistake. In fact, he offered to refund my money and said I could keep the loco. I declined the offer but kept the loco as I quite liked the idea of collecting some HO. Since then, I have aquired a few locos. Buy and run what you like. The gauges do not match in size but you don't have to run them at the same time do you?

I have some Lima h0 wagons and they are noticably smaller than an 00 equivalent.

If I ever see my boxes again from storage I will post side by side pictures.

Here are a couple of them next to a 00 brake van. I do like the h0 couplings.

/media/tinymce_upload/3f02bcdd580b7c13fa73c1c783975163.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4155c49c7523080b3075e93fdd240910.jpg

@Jimbopuff

Regarding couplings, any modern European loco is most likely to have NEM pockets so you can easily swap to a coupling of your choice. US outline locos are likely to have NMRA boxes which are designed for Kadee/X2f hook-horn types. It would be easier to couple these to OO stock with a NEM pocket by using a NEM Kadee in the OO wagon/coach.

At a push, Hornby type couplers will 'hook' into European style Hook/Loop types but it won't be very reliable or look good.