Elite bricked

PeterRowney

....ask the Moderator to email me your address.

Pidder / Peter Rowney,

Forum moderators don't have access to members email addresses. You will BOTH have to email the forum Administrator at forum@hornby.com asking to exchange email addresses. It takes both of you to make the request, so that Adam the Administrator or his stand-in can see that the request is mutual. Either that, or you reference a post where both parties have expressed a wish to communicate. Please be aware, that exchange of private mail addresses are at the forum Administrators discretion and if very busy, may not be acted upon straight away

In any email you send to the Administrator, do remember to quote the other parties forum 'user name'. He will need that to look-up that members mail address.

Pidder, just in case you are not aware, Peter R is in Australia so presumably postage won't be cheap.

1.41 was the version I suggested to try in an earlier reply as being the one most likely to unbrick it.

Just to fill in the information gaps, when you finally got 1.41 to install.

1. Was that using the XP PC and "Hornby R8214 Elite Driver" or a later Windows OS version?
  2. Also, was the successful update using the original Hornby documented process OR Hornby Customer Support's alternative process, you documented in an earlier reply?

I hate to ask this as I think I know the answer, but will you now attempt the 1.44 upgrade again now that you have effectively factory reset the Elite to the out of date 1.41 version?

Got to disagree John if you want to program dummy cars and have TTS decoders work correctly with an Elite...

Version 1.41 - Controller lockup fixed. Speed knob selection logic changed. Programming of R8215 decoders fixed. Reboot in last mode. Minor display anomalies fixed. 

Version 1.42 - Dummy car programming wasnt working - fixed. Improved support for Bachmann decoders. Display corruption in Operate mode mode fixed. Support for Select v1.5.

Version 1.43 - Xpressnet response fix from Elite Emergy Stop recovery. Bug fix in TTS decoder programming and reading in service mode. Quicker response with Select in Walkabout mode. Feedback from hand controllers to Elite screen. POM for suitable accessory decoders. 

Version 1.44 - Elite not handling TTS diesel functions F5-F8 correctly - fixed

Rob

... it has FINALLY restarted ...

Great news Peter.  I am with John on this one - If it ain't broke ..........

But I suggest you make very detailed notes as to the steps you took on your successful attempt just in case you do try again in the future.

I use 2 Elites for different layouts in different locations .One is 1.41 and the other is 1.43 and they both control and run my trains with no issues and handle my TTS sound functions .I have no TTS diesels so after reading all this trial and error and hastle to update to 1.44 I will stick to what I have .

1.41 was the version I suggested to try in an earlier reply as being the one most likely to unbrick it.

I'm so sorry I didn;t try it!

I DID try (numerous times), 1.1,1.3,1.4,1.44

Just to fill in the information gaps, when you finally got 1.41 to install.

1. Was that using the XP PC and "Hornby R8214 Elite Driver" or a later Windows OS version?

No, I used my Win7 laptop (yes I used the ELite driver)

2. Also, was the successful update using the original Hornby documented process OR Hornby Customer Support's alternative process, you documented in an earlier reply?

I used the process from Hornby customer support, which involved 30 second delays (not 15)

I hate to ask this as I think I know the answer, but will you now attempt the 1.44 upgrade again now that you have effectively factory reset the Elite to the out of date 1.41 version?

I'm really not sure. Customer support advised me to go ahead, but I'm not sure what the added benefits are?

Ok, the process I used was....

1) Hold down STOP button. 2) Plug power cable in. 3) Keep STOP button held for 30 seconds.4) Release STOP button. Wait 30 seconds. 5) Plug in USB cable. 6) Launch Elite update, and try to update.I used a Win 7 Pro laptop and ran the 1.41 update file as administrator.The first time I did it, it said "finished" and I clicked the finish button but the Elite still looked dead.So I pulled the power (why does it even have an on/off button?), but it was still dead.So I repeated the update exactly as before and when it said finished, I clicked the finish button and then left the whole thing untouched for a few minutes.Lo and behold when I glanced at the previously dead machine (dead for 4 years in fact), it was resurrected!Hallelujah and praise be to Hornby tech support.

"I suggest downloading version 1.41. This version was specifically written for the XP driver. If you can get this one to install to unbrick your Elite, that will be a bit like performing a factory reset."And my apologies to Chrisaf for not noticeing this exact sentence!!

One of the downsides of writing long replies. These little gems get lost in the reams of text. But strangely, if you used Windows 7 during the final successful update. Then you wouldn't have been using the XP driver anyway.

Main thing...... it is now recovered into a working condition. Personally if it was me, I would be putting all that experience of attempting the U/G so many times to good use and try the 1.44 upgrade again. But that's probably because when it comes to these type of issues, I am like a terrier dog with a bone (can't give it up). But of course, that is your choice and I can fully appreciate the "leave well enough alone" approach.

Forum TIP: Peter, If you want to highlight a bit of text pasted from another reply to use as a "quote". Then if you highlight the pasted text and click the 66 icon

in the reply box tool bar. Then you get the effect demonstrated below:

And my apologies to Chrissaf for not noticing this exact sentence!!

Another forum TIP: If you want paragraph gaps to appear between different sections of text (as demonstrated in this reply). Type in TWO sequential 'carriage returns' when writing the text in the 'reply text box'. The first 'return' gets stripped out by the forum software (no idea why) but the second one sticks to appear in the final published post.

It has been Eric, well at least in my boilerplate doc. It could very well be featured more prominently in a future forum enhancement.

It would be handy if the little used On/Off button could be used as a reset button to unbrick an Elite  - i.e. restore last good firmware load, but I don’t suppose there is any spare memory in theri to store a back-up.

PS...

There is no logical reason why v1.41 should bring back a dead Elite and no logical reason why v1.44 should kill a working Elite. The current installer is the best there ever has been for reliabile functionality across all Win versions and PC chipsets. I have updated my Elites literally hundreds of times (all versions) for test purposes and never failed to get one back on its feet. My 2 dead Elites are simply due to burnt out components.

Rob

Short answer to why you might want to upgrade a working v1.41 to latest v1.44 - it’s essential for those running TTS locos as only v1.44 lets you access all the sound functions in the decoder. For others the upgrade can mostly be considered nice to have, not essential. 

But for all versions before 1.41, including 1.40, upgrade to v1.41 at least is essential as 1.41 is the first version that actually works properly. 

Short answer to why you might want to upgrade a working v1.41 to latest v1.44 - it’s essential for those running TTS locos as only v1.44 lets you access all the sound functions in the decoder. For others the upgrade can mostly be considered nice to have, not essential. 

But for all versions before 1.41, including 1.40, upgrade to v1.41 at least is essential as 1.41 is the first version that actually works properly. 

Differences twixt v1.41 onwards listed in my post on the previous post...

Rob