• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do we feel...

Flying hours inflation hit..

Not the best free kit sorry £10 

What's a trolley token 

Ok postage same .

Doesn't seem to be much information explaining new club ..mags?? %off ?? Gift voucher?? 

What about exclusive models..?? 

Thoughts 

If I read this correctly it will cost (minimum membership £14.99p) + (16 flying hours from the cheapest kits at £5.99p each = £95.84p) + (p&p £4.98p) = £115.91p for a "free" series one kit.  I shall have to think about this a bit more.  Someone please tell me I read this wrongly, I have been waiting two years for this. 🤔

If I read this correctly it will cost (minimum membership £14.99p) + (16 flying hours from the cheapest kits at £5.99p each = £95.84p) + (p&p £4.98p) = £115.91p for a "free" series one kit.  I shall have to think about this a bit more.  Someone please tell me I read this wrongly, I have been waiting two years for this. 🤔

You seem to be missing the point. You do not sign up specifically to gain free kits, you sign up to gain extra perks and exclucive kits. Besides, if somebody gave you an airfix kit as a gift... It is not a free kit service but then it never has been. People should just be thankful there is a club now. Also, the increase in flying hours is due to the increase in cost of kits due to inflation.

Okay.  I have just joined and handed over £24.99p.  I still reckon that the Flying Hours going up is unecessary.  The cost of ordinary Airfix kits has gone up which means each Flying Hour costs more.  Not to mention the now increased cost of the Club membership - so they both automatically cover "other" increases.  Anyway I have paid so enough said.

I agree with Stephen; if Hornby needed to increase the number of Flying hours to suit the addition of series 9 kits to the scheme - it would have been more profficent to add Series 9 as a separate category. This conjoining of Series 7, 8 and 9 alongside the raising of the number of hours for basic level kits will promote members taking Series 9 kits over Series 7 and 8 kits, merely because the Series 9 kits are worth nearly £10 more than those kits in Series 7 - at the same Flying hour cost. Hornby could have only really done worse by charging a fixed flying hour price (let us say 60) for any kit from series 1-9.

I've joined worth it just to cash in my flying hours suspect I've easily got 60 for a top tier kit ye the free gift is IMO not worth the extra 10er but I've still got a plus membership I see it more supporting the brand than a deal with perks 

Unless the boxes of the series one kits you bought were completely empty then you're definitely reading it wrong. I'm pretty certain it's best to buy kits for the enjoyment of building the kit and not just to get the flying hours, to me the £95.84 you calculated isn't relevant as presumably they're kits you already own or ones you would have bought anyway!  🤔

You seem to be missing the point. You do not sign up specifically to gain free kits, you sign up to gain extra perks and exclucive kits. Besides, if somebody gave you an airfix kit as a gift... It is not a free kit service but then it never has been. People should just be thankful there is a club now. Also, the increase in flying hours is due to the increase in cost of kits due to inflation.

Airfix use the phrase 'free kits' in the advertising so what are people supposed to believe ? They're obviously not 'free' in the conventional sense, but I'd like to see the legal definition. It sorta makes it sound like they're just a few tokens away. And not like you had to buy the kits to get them ! with the Flying hours 'inflation', no introductory money off voucher, only one kit you can take or leave, and no catalogue, along with the stiff ROW price of membership, and the relative value of 10% 'discount' it's gonna be a real close call for a lot of fans whether to go for a membership. It's gonna be a real fan that wants their Trolley 'Token' for their Airfix memorabilia Collection gonna shell out £25 notes LOL. 

And please, no 'it's a business' replies. I know. But there is ' Value for money' too. 

I agree with Stephen; if Hornby needed to increase the number of Flying hours to suit the addition of series 9 kits to the scheme - it would have been more profficent to add Series 9 as a separate category. This conjoining of Series 7, 8 and 9 alongside the raising of the number of hours for basic level kits will promote members taking Series 9 kits over Series 7 and 8 kits, merely because the Series 9 kits are worth nearly £10 more than those kits in Series 7 - at the same Flying hour cost. Hornby could have only really done worse by charging a fixed flying hour price (let us say 60) for any kit from series 1-9.

Just my opinion, but it's not about screwing Airfix for the best possible deal with Flying Hours. It's about picking a kit you would enjoy making and saving up the relevant amount of Hours to qualify for it. If you're looking for money-saving options, ebay is probably your best bet.

Just my opinion, but it's not about screwing Airfix for the best possible deal with Flying Hours. It's about picking a kit you would enjoy making and saving up the relevant amount of Hours to qualify for it. If you're looking for money-saving options, ebay is probably your best bet.

Your logic is correct in that people will take the kits they are interested in building; and I am interested in most of the kits of Series 7 to 8. I am just slightly dissapointed that the cost of Series 7 to 8 increased to factor in for the addition of Series 9 - whereas a seperate category for Series 9 would have suited fans more (in my opinion).

Excellent news ! ....Delighted that the Club is back and some inspiration has gone into making it exciting and attractive to Airfix fans... although in my late 60s I wa thrilled to see the e mail announcing the news and joined straight away for the package including the Kate.  ... I always believe a good trading relationship is based on delighting the customer and yes I am delighted. ... just hope the online shop isn't totally cleared out by everyone trading in their old flying hours tokens! ... I managed to get rid of mine just before my membership expired and the club was suspended....   which seems a very very very long time ago! .. well done Airfix for keeping your loyal fans happy... much appreciated thankyou  😆

Yes, same here. No notification, despite signing up for it when the old club was suspended.

as you say, now both membership types have sold out and not even a decent update on the site to explain what's happening and when to expect the club to reopen for membership.

Very disappointing after such a long wait. I hate to say it but sometimes Airfix really do take their loyal customer base for granted.

On a positive note, I suppose if they have sold out in less than a day, the demand is far larger than they expected. Good to know there is still such a large appetite for modeling and for Airfix in particular :-)

A bit annoyed

Signed up for notifications, for when the 'new' club launched.  I didn't get one.  Did anyone else?

Now, both types of membership are out of stock.

Maybe they have run out of trolley coins?

I got an e mail notification of the new club on Friday... bout half one I think... and joined up straight away!  .. Airfix are better than other manufacturers at at least trying to do something for their fans so I'm very grateful they are still in business and fully support them