What was in your Mystery Box

'The kits currently available in the aircraft bundle are the E.E Lightning "gift set" (only one decal option), the Spitfire Vc (two options) and the Mustang (Tusegee Airmen scheme). If you check the bundle on the website it tells you, under "product info" when the contents were last updated. This selection was from 20th January 2022.'

Hi there, not sure that the date on website refers to rotation of kits as the date still says 20th January however my box received yesterday contained Curtiss P-40B Warhawk, Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 and BAE Systems Hawk 100 Series.
To be honest i'd rather there was a system where we knew what date kits would be rotated however for Airfix the downside would be that people could post what the new kits were and then some might decide not to give the mystery box a try that month due to not wanting the kits included, not much of a mystery box either.
My one suggestion would be that perhaps Airfix could offer a monthly subscription order that people sign up to, each month recieving a mystery box with three different kits?? I know it could be expensive if you think in terms of £22.99 per month but perhaps a reduced rate for subscribers?? In a year 36 kits at current retail £275.88 for 12x3kits but the potential for savings at that cost of £192!!
The only other expense for those who sign up would be the cost of divorceyum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these packs change as stocks run out rather than on a planned timescale. When the last kit A is packed they go on to kit D (to go with B & C). It's a lucky dip and not a catalogued product.

I think that you're probably right. I think that for just over £20 (if you're a Club member) you get some nice models. Of course I get some that I already have, but I have given some to my nephew who's a great "builder", but doesn't have a lot of cash as he has two small children and his partner to think of. I like the "surprise" aspect of it as well. Pity that the "vintage" set (with the 1/24 Hurricane) has disappeared.

'The kits currently available in the aircraft bundle are the E.E Lightning "gift set" (only one decal option), the Spitfire Vc (two options) and the Mustang (Tusegee Airmen scheme). If you check the bundle on the website it tells you, under "product info" when the contents were last updated. This selection was from 20th January 2022.'

Hi there, not sure that the date on website refers to rotation of kits as the date still says 20th January however my box received yesterday contained Curtiss P-40B Warhawk, Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 and BAE Systems Hawk 100 Series.
To be honest i'd rather there was a system where we knew what date kits would be rotated however for Airfix the downside would be that people could post what the new kits were and then some might decide not to give the mystery box a try that month due to not wanting the kits included, not much of a mystery box either.
My one suggestion would be that perhaps Airfix could offer a monthly subscription order that people sign up to, each month recieving a mystery box with three different kits?? I know it could be expensive if you think in terms of £22.99 per month but perhaps a reduced rate for subscribers?? In a year 36 kits at current retail £275.88 for 12x3kits but the potential for savings at that cost of £192!!
The only other expense for those who sign up would be the cost of divorceyumYou make some good points there. As for the "divorce" thing, you point out that you're not spending money on "bad habits" or other women. The words "what this old kit?...I've had it for ages" helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone received the Aviation Bundle within the last few days?
I'm just curious to know what is being sent out at the moment.
Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed. I haven't bought one myself but I understand that it contains the Warhawk. Me-109 E-4 and the BAE systems Hawk 100 series. If you look at the rrp of the bundle on Airfix's home page it shows £35-97 which would tie in with that kit selection. It appears to me that they are putting cheaper kits into the bundles. I know the 1/35 tank bundle decreased by one kit (and aver £30 in value) but retained the £75 price tag. That said, they're still pretty good value if you don't mind a "lucky dip".

Hi Ed. I haven't bought one myself but I understand that it contains the Warhawk. Me-109 E-4 and the BAE systems Hawk 100 series. If you look at the rrp of the bundle on Airfix's home page it shows £35-97 which would tie in with that kit selection. It appears to me that they are putting cheaper kits into the bundles. I know the 1/35 tank bundle decreased by one kit (and aver £30 in value) but retained the £75 price tag. That said, they're still pretty good value if you don't mind a "lucky dip".

Thanks, Ken. Yes, I also thought that cheaper kits were now being put in the bundles but, as you say, you can still save money by buying a bundle - just not as much as before. However, the main reason I asked was because I wondered if there was a chance that the current aircraft bundle comprised models that I didn't have...but it looks as if I will have to wait at least a little longer for that to happen.
Thanks again. Ed

Hi Ed, You're welcome. If I hear anything has changed I'll post it here. My first aircraft "bundle" was great, consisting of a Beaufighter, a Defiant and a Warhawk. The rrp for those three is £44.97 so they've definitely "downsized" the offer. I have bought others, not all for me, which had some different kits (starter sets with a couple of others). It's just recently that the value seems to have dropped. Like everyhting else, prices of kits have gone up so I suppose it was inevitable. It's still reasonably good vfm (especially if you buy when the club offer a 10% or even a 20% discount at times) and I'll probably get more but, like you, I want something that I haven't already got. Take care, Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

Kia ora all

Does anyone have any idea of what is in the current aircraft mystery box?

I'm weighing up whether to get one but as I don't like multiple models of the same aircraft type (mostly as I forcus on RNZAF types) I'm worried that I might end up with a Spitfire, 109, Hurricane or P-51, none of which I want in 1:72 as I have loads already in my stash that will likely never get made.

Kia ora all

I'm weighing up whether to get one but as I don't like multiple models of the same aircraft type (mostly as I forcus on RNZAF types) I'm worried that I might end up with a Spitfire, 109, Hurricane or P-51, none of which I want in 1:72 as I have loads already in my stash that will likely never get made.

The last I heard it was the Warhawk, the Me109 E-4 and the BAE Systems Hawk 100 series (rrp £35-97). I can't confirm that those are still the current selection though (see discussions in this thread).

Kia ora all

The last I heard it was the Warhawk, the Me109 E-4 and the BAE Systems Hawk 100 series (rrp £35-97). I can't confirm that those are still the current selection though (see discussions in this thread).

Thanks for the reply. I did see that but given that list was a few months old and that prices have changed, it might be something else. I have no need for yet another 109 (have given 3 away already this year!).

Kia ora all

Thanks for the reply. I did see that but given that list was a few months old and that prices have changed, it might be something else. I have no need for yet another 109 (have given 3 away already this year!).

I know what you mean. It does state on the listing that it was updated on the 20th January 2022, but I'm not sure of the exact meaning of that. I might "throw the dice" in a few months time. It's not much to risk, £20-69 with club discount for three kits that, if I don't make them, I'll give them to my sons or my nephew who makes some nice models but hasn't got much money to spare.

• 1 month later...

I ordered my 1/35 Military Vehicle Mystery Box on Monday 30th May and received them today, Wednesday 1 June.

Excellent fast processing and delivery!

The items in the mystery box were:

A1355 Jagdpanzer (early)

A1359 Tiger I (mid)

A1371 M-18 Hellcat

Very happy with the contents, £124.97 worth of RRP for £60! (that's with the 20% off deal).

I ordered my 1/35 Military Vehicle Mystery Box on Monday 30th May and received them today, Wednesday 1 June.

Excellent fast processing and delivery!

The items in the mystery box were:

A1355 Jagdpanzer (early)
A1359 Tiger I (mid)
A1371 M-18 Hellcat

Very happy with the contents, £124.97 worth of RRP for £60! (that's with the 20% off deal).

Yes, it's a ptretty good deal, especially if you ordered with the "double discount" of 20% making it £60. The kits are still the same as those I already have (two of each so it covers all versions) so I'll be leaving them for a while. Thanks for the "update" though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, there's a couple of "mystery acrylic paint bundles" that have been added. There's a "12 for the price of 6" (£10.74) and a "guaranteed minimum of 50 pots" for £59.95. If anyone gets one (or both) of these, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them. Questions such as "do you get a lot of variety?" and "are they colours that you'd use or need?".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I bought the mystery box recently only two of the kits were sent(p40 and zero) even after phoning customer care (or no care) I still have not received the third kit. They did not forget to take my money.
ERIC

Hi Eric, can i ask what they said to you? I've needed their help a few times in the past and have always found them to be helpful and responsive. I hope that you get "sorted" soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Purchased over aircraft mystery over the bank holiday offer with a few other bits and inside was:
A01003B Warhawk
A01005 Mitsubishi Zero
A03090 Me262A

and nice as all kits I hasn’t done yet.

The double discount offer over the bank holiday really sweetens the deal. Those three for under £20 (you'd have to buy somethinig else to qualify for free postage I suppose) are well worth the money.