What was in your Mystery Box

i though I would treat myself to a aircraft mystery bundle earlier this month and i received a 1/72 Bolton Paul Defiant, a 1/72 North American P51D Mustang and a 1/72 F15 Eagle starter set. All in all good value for money.

With the 20% discount on offer, I ordered another bundle. This time I received a 1/72 Bolton Paul Defiant, a 1/72 North American P51D Mustang and………..wait for it……………..another 1/72 F15 Eagle starter set!!! With the exception of the F15, I could build the others in difference schemes.

Are these the kits that aren’t selling and they have excess stock, or have I just been unlucky to get the same kits twice?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a funny tale. My wife is always complaining she never knows what to get me for Christmas and I never have any surprises. So I asked if I could (you can see who’s boss) get the Vintage Classic Mystery bundle. It arrived and was put away for my Xmas pressie. So far so good. About a week later I got an email from Airfix asking what I thought of the 1/24 scale Hawker Hurricane kit. A couple of days later a similar email for the other two kits. I am obviously fated lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Have ordered three different mystery aviation boxes, over the last few months, the first contained a calliope tank, in it. The other two two of the same kit p51d and a falcon. It seems a good deal on paper, you'd have thought they would have checked what you have ordered before, mystery box or not. Mark Wigmore

These are 'Lucky Dip' type packs. //no-one knows if/when then contents will be changed. i think they were intended as introductory packs to get folks into modelling, then they would be inspired to buy regular product (not multiple packs).

When I bought my first mystery box (the 1/72 'planes) I got a Beaufighter, a Defiant and a Warhawk. I bought another which was the Eagle, Defiant and Mustang. Ironically the club discount means that, unless you order more, you have to pay for postage, so I ordered a Beaufort as well to take the value over £20. I have bought three of the 1/35 tank sets (one for another guy who builds with scouts and does stuff for charity) at different times and each box contained identical kits. Having said that for £75, less club discount, I got four lovely kits which I intend to build and, of course each kit has two options to build.....mustn't grumble eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 3 at the start of the year and was happy with that I got

Ship box: Hood, Bismarck and Golden Hind

Aircraft: F15 Starter, Spitfire Vc and P-51D

1/35 Tanks: M36B1, M7, M4A3(76)W and Later version Tiger 1

The 1/35 is the most expensive but has the best savings and its 4 kits. I consider them a good way for me to get back into the airfix model range and away from my Warhammer and other brand 1/700 ships

Mine was just the same, and with them all fastened together with an elastic band the F-15 box was crushed. Am presently still waiting for a label, etc. to send them back, (been way over a month, in spite of emails) but yes, these are the kits that aren't selling, hence the bundles. If they were all selling in copious numbers, there'd be no bundles. Now I've had the email about the Airfix Club being £30 for the year, (with no option for flat, non-exclusive kit membership as previously, so that's me out) and it's not going well.

In my most recent 1:35 mystery box I got 3 Kits: M18 Hellcat, Jagdpanzer 38[T] and a Tiger 1 mid version

Thank you and that is interesting - they have gone from four to three kits. I think they are also similarly being less generous with the aircraft mystery box although I think the Jagdpanzer looks like and awesome kit!

• 3 weeks later...

I got the latest "1/35 armour" bundle today. I had realised before ordering that there was only three kits, rather than the four that had been previously available. I got a "Mid Tiger 1" which appears to be almost identical to the "Late" version which was in the first box. There was also the Jagdpanzer 38 ton Hetzer Early version and an M18 "Hellcat Tank Destroyer", which was a kit that I've had my eye on. It's still good value (rrp £124.97) but the older one was worth nearly £50 more. I would have thought that, after "downsizing" the bundle, they could have reduced the price.

• 2 weeks later...

The kits currently available in the aircraft bundle are the E.E Lightning "gift set" (only one decal option), the Spitfire Vc (two options) and the Mustang (Tusegee Airmen scheme). If you check the bundle on the website it tells you, under "product info" when the contents were last updated. This selection was from 20th January 2022.

The kits currently available in the aircraft bundle are the E.E Lightning "gift set" (only one decal option), the Spitfire Vc (two options) and the Mustang (Tusegee Airmen scheme). If you check the bundle on the website it tells you, under "product info" when the contents were last updated. This selection was from 20th January 2022.

Thanks for the update - very useful.

Ed