Problem Down Loading RailMaster

there now appears to be 3 firewalls in the defender area

There are not three firewalls in the Windows Defender area. What you are probably looking at are the three areas where your network is defined as Public, Private or Domain.

Public should not be connected to from any private household or anything other than public areas like libraries or cafe's for example (where you would connect via your tablet, mobile or laptop away from the home). Data is easily exposed on these networks.

Private is used for the network connections made privately in homes and businesses where individual computers or a small network of computers are connected to the Internet. This connection is always what you should be connected to in the home unless you can use the type below.

Domain networks are for those systems connected to the Internet or larger networks via a server or similar and will not normally be found in a household. Having said that I do run a server at home and for good reason.

So this should explain what you are probably thinking is a three firewall setup. It is not. It is a single firewall with three different connection types to the Internet and/or network/s.

As stated one should not run two firewalls on any one PC/laptop or whatever. The ONLY difference here is that your router will have a hardware firewall built in which normally should not be altered unless you know exactly what you are doing and a computer will have a software firewall (Windows Defender by default). Two software firewalls will compete and a third party firewall will usually switch off Windows Firewall by default in favour of its own. This is where RM issues can arise as has been spoken of many times on here.

Software firewalls can be overwritten by a virus, trojan or spyware depending upon its complexity.

Just for information... you should never run two anti-virus programs on one system as one will define the other as a possible virus when it reads the other's definiton files. Don't forget... malware and spyware software usually will not remove viruses or trojans and they are different to anti-virus products. A virus is not a trojan, spyware or malware and each is defined specifically different.

@Robert-370275

While reporting to Micorosft that a program is not a virus may be a good idea it is seldom taken by Microsoft to be literal as just about anyone can say their programs are virus free. They do not have the time or resources to test all programs submitted in this way and I have also reported this prior as a test which did not work. The download, if you read all the posts on the subject, can be fickle. Some days it will download just fine and others it will not. Hence the reason for my post above which outlines bypassing browser and OS controls to aid in its download without interference.

@Robert-370275
While reporting to Micorosft that a program is not a virus may be a good idea it is seldom taken by Microsoft to be literal as just about anyone can say their programs are virus free. They do not have the time or resources to test all programs submitted in this way and I have also reported this prior as a test which did not work. The download, if you read all the posts on the subject, can be fickle. Some days it will download just fine and others it will not. Hence the reason for my post above which outlines bypassing browser and OS controls to aid in its download without interference.

That's not how it works. You have to send Microsoft your installer and they will then run diagnostics on the installed app and then send you back feedback. If it passes, they immediately send an update to Windows Anti-virus to indicate it is safe.

I ran into this issue with one of my products a VTT called Sojour. I posted about my escapades with Microsoft here:

This is the post about Windows detecting my software as a Virus:

Sojour’s installer detected as a virus? – Sojour

And this is my post about the feedback I got from Micorosft:

Microsoft got back! Sojour is NOT a virus :) – Sojour

To Microsoft's credit, they were very quick and I haven't had any issues since. Given that I'm an unknown home software developer and you folks are a huge company, I suspect your check will be even faster!

It is worth doing as the majority of windows users are using the default firewall and anti-virus that comes with Windows. I am, and right now mine flags Railmaster as a virus. As noted above, this can be fixed by submitting the installer to Microsoft on the link I posted earlier.

With all due fairness and credit Robert my experience is somewhat different. I don't doubt for one moment you have been on a different journey with them given you show the evidence for it but as I stated I have been down that route and got a totally different reaction. Microsoft are a law unto themselves as is very well documented across the web and I will stick to my own story.

So it is how it works for some and not others. There is no particular happy state of affairs here but one experience doesn't mean to say this is how they work one way or another.

Absolutely no disrespect to your good self on this one by any means.

Given that I'm an unknown home software developer and you folks are a huge company, I suspect your check will be even faster!

@robert - the quoted comment suggests you may not be aware of the following:

Railmaster is no longer directly owned/supported/controlled by Hornby. A much smaller entity (possibly 1 person) called HRMS has sole responsibility for it, therefore not that dissimilar to your situation.

Also this forum (whilst owned by Hornby) does not actually have any employee/representative participation. All users are members of the public - like yourself. Even the moderators are public volunteers, (so although they do have contact with Hornby employees) they are not responsible for any choices/decisions taken by either Hornby or HRMS - they can only pass on suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you please give me the URL for your own website.

Whos website? If you mean ACs, then it is hiding in plain sight at the top of Railmaster forum in the pinned sticky section in the guise of the "RailMaster Help Site" link.

Finding the DL file on his site is a little more hidden and not in plain sight so here is a direct link.

https://octaviancs.com/railmaster/preparation.php?id=preparation

This will probably still throw up Windows Security issues. If it does, go back to the stickies and look in the 'RailMaster Download' sticky. There are a few suggestions there plus the guidance earlier in this thread regarding how to make changes to Windows Security settings.

The guidance in this forum will give a successful DL if you follow its detail. In other words go through each and every post in this thread and follow any suggestions & links you find posted by its contributors.